Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw that there is a half price sale ($125+ $17 shipping) on a Tomy 63' set made exclusively for Restoration Hardware. It features a couple Cobra Daytona coupes-a silver one and a black one.

Looks like alot of 9" curves, but there's also a banked curve set, crossover, and lots of elevation changes.

It's at www.restorationhardware.com, search for slot car.

There are also several diecast Shelby cars on sale on that site, found under Gifts, Hobbies and Interests.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just noticed that these cars are the 'clear' versions. You can see the 'spare tire' through the back window on the shot of the cars on the terminal track with the controllers.

Wish there was an easy way to get the track piece details for exclusive sets. It seems the stores never give that info.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, finally getting to the bottom of this. I found a thread on the other forum from late 10/08 where Steve at Racemasters (Wahoo) talks about this set.

The cars are set-only. The track is the Giant Raceway, with silver guardrails and some silver track graphics specifically for that company.

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
I would say is someone was in the market for a Giant Raceway anyway this would be a good deal. I assume the retail price is about the same as the regular set. I guess if you really like the cars in those colors you could buy the set and sell the track. I don't know AFX Tomy prices well enough to say what track pieces are worth. There are about 6-8 1/8th curve sections, the bigger bank curve set, but sadly, a ton of 9" curves too.. The silver guard rail is a nice touch too.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Weird. Not exactly the first place I would go looking for hobby, much less slot car products. A new leather sofa or a new claw foot bathtub perhaps, but an AFX racing set? Huh? What could possibly be more obscure? I guess selling AFX racing sets at Victorias Secret stores would be a little weirder, but if the set had lots of curves, then maybe it would make sense.:)

If AFX wants to create an exclusive place to shop they should put little hobby areas inside of woman's clothing and shoe stores (i.e., 98.5 percent of all the stores in a typical American shopping mall) with hobby products. You know how some stores have (or used to have) little play areas for the kiddies to play while the parents shopped. Do the same thing for the hubbies who would otherwise be fighting over bench seating out in the common areas, kind of like the the McDonalds Playland model.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AFX sells the Giant set for $180, but it has the tri-power pack.

Here are some individual track prices from the AFX site, with the quantities of some pieces in this Giant set.

12" banked curve set $15
15" straights, qty 13 $88
15" 1/8 curve, qty 1 $8
12" 1/8 curve, qty 2 $14
9" straight, qty 4 $20
6" straight, qty 4 $20
etc, etc

Of course you may be able to find these pieces cheaper, but the individual prices add up fast.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Too bad...

If I was in the market for extra track I'd buy one. They're pretty nice for set cars and I could see myself keeping them instead of unloading them in trades, which is what I've always done in the past. nd

·
Registered
806 Posts
Afxtoo's marketing plan

"I guess selling AFX racing sets at Victorias Secret stores would be a little weirder, but if the set had lots of curves, then maybe it would make sense.:)

Do the same thing for the hubbies who would otherwise be fighting over bench seating out in the common areas, kind of like the the McDonalds Playland model."

How cool would that be to hang out in the lingerie department and racing slots?

Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts