Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm...I had that same problem trying to get a fee-bay link to pop up from here the other day. Hate to do it but... sign in to the site and do a search for- "Polar Lights" Godzilla -in all catagories. It is NOT a fraud. Looks just like mine and it is professionally assembled. The seller has the correct name for the sculptor as well (Groman). Dave Metzner verified that one here for me after I won mine. There is supposedly less than 150 of these things according to this particular seller. I am surprised there are so many. Last one I saw is the one I got last year for about 25 clams more than this one. CHECK IT OUT!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! Man, that is too rich for my blood though! I would have to give up my trip to Wonderfest to buy it!

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It had a 500 dollar BIN price on it but someone came along and rolled the dice. Hope to see someone on this board get it!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yo Duck Fink, I just read the listing on the big G and the seller says that whoever cast these kits said there was less than 150 casting!!!! That means that there might be awhole lotta Godzillas out there! Hmmmm? When I recieved mine as a gift I was told that only a dozen were out and about. Any way you look at it the sculpt is fantastic!!!!! I pulled mine out of the mothballs and started to paint the beast. The base is done along with the mouth done and the rest in primer. The hardest part is trying to hold it while painting. I made a special paint stand to help hold the critter.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The part about "less than 150 castings" really smells of recasting to me. I maybe wrong, but that can be a redflag.

Bob

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stevieD said:
Yo Duck Fink, I just read the listing on the big G and the seller says that whoever cast these kits said there was less than 150 casting!!!! That means that there might be awhole lotta Godzillas out there! Hmmmm? When I recieved mine as a gift I was told that only a dozen were out and about. Any way you look at it the sculpt is fantastic!!!!! I pulled mine out of the mothballs and started to paint the beast. The base is done along with the mouth done and the rest in primer. The hardest part is trying to hold it while painting. I made a special paint stand to help hold the critter.
Man you have to post some pics of this! I have only seen one pic of a painted one in the old PL catalog. I am not sure how credible the 150 casts statment is. It DOES smell of a recast. I just know that i paid a PREMIUM for mine when it auctioned at e-bay. Me and Monstermodelman went head to head. I have my pieces pics in "my gallery" showing a couple of close ups. Dave Metzner jumped in an old link when I won mine and said that Grohman was the sculpter and he has heard of a handfull of them floating around. Possible someone may have taken and recast more. Anyway you slice it.....whoever wants it better jump on it cause this is a beyond rare find. Glad to talk to someone else that actually HAS ONE!!!

Hope this does not turn into a "recast or not to recast" thread. When I won mine that is how the thread ended.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey Duck, I saw on the other thread that you might go to the Region 4 IPMS show this coming weekend in Pittsburg? I'm headed there Saturday with my oldest daughter and friend. I'll try to figure how to post some pics.

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
stevieD said:
Hey Duck, I saw on the other thread that you might go to the Region 4 IPMS show this coming weekend in Pittsburg? I'm headed there Saturday with my oldest daughter and friend. I'll try to figure how to post some pics.
Would be real good to see you there. I am not going to know until last minute if I can make it. My wallet is saying I should stay home. I will post the night before on that thread if I decide to go. Can't wait to see some pics of that thing!

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmm....I just started to read between the lines on this as far as one of the (supposedly dozen) of these cast from the original prototype molds vs. 150 (recasts?). Anyone please correct me if I am wrong!

Wrote the seller asking the following...

"Very unique item! Just wondering how you aquired it? Rumor has it between some of the people I talk to on one of the Bulletin boards that were less than 12 of these "cast from the original mold". I supposedly have ONE of these cast from the original molds (unassembled). My question is this....is this cast from the original mold or is this a rougue recast? I know that Groman was the sculptor but the 150 quantity is throwing me for a loop. Thanks for all of your time!"

Waiting for an answer.

If Troutman2 is listening.....I am now beginning to see your point regarding recasting.

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I sure do buy the sellers story on this cast. He is more knowledgeable than I on the subject. Good luck to all who may bid on this cast!

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dunno, man. I was kinda hoping that whoever won would pop in and say something. I know it went for 203 and change.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts