Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started working on another Star Wars project, the Republic Star Destroyer. Not satisfied with box-stock, I've been attacking it with the Dremel, and have drilled about 300 or so holes in it so far. My idea is for stationary lighting about the hull and tower in blue, the launch bay will be lit in white, all of the thrusters will be lit in bright white, and the laser cannons will fire randomly as well. Randy at VoodooFx is currently working on some boards for this project. He has done me so well in the past on these custom jobs, that I can't wait to see what he comes up with!

So far, I have removed the stock plastic gun barrels, drilled them thru to be fitted with fiber optics, and am in the process of making brass replacement barrels. They are so small and hard to handle, it has become a tedious project.

I haven't gotten that far yet, but I will attempt to cut another small piece of brass tube a size larger to fit on the barel ends. It's hard when your an old fart trying to hold/see/cut this tiny stuff!!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's some shots of the viewports drilling I am working on so far. I have been referencing the movie over and over trying to get close on locations of these tiny windows. All of it will be fiber optics when done, although some may have to be just backlit.

Several area's inside the tower had to be cut out (black marks) to allow the fiber optics bundles to pass thru when ready. It's going to be really tight up inside the twin observation towers.

I'll keep you guys updated as this progresses. :cool:

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Looking good.

I've seen some pretty impressive build-ups of this model, so the potential is certainly there to take it to the next level. Based on these pix, I'd say you're well on your way.

Thanks for sharing, and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I'm slow to respond, yes, it is the Revell kit!

Made some progress in the last day or so. I was unable to cut some larger pieces of tubing for the gun tips, they are just too small and I was borderline cutting my fingertips off! LOL! I am looking in the parts bin for a suitable plastic ring, but nothing so far. Any ideas welcomed. I started painting the main hull components. I've used (4) shades of Tamiya and Testors grey on it so far. I will go over the whole thing with the airbrush once they are assembled. I'll probably use some diluted black to add "burn" around the engine components, maybe a few battle damage scars, etc; I'm not much for "taped off" lines on stuff. I do a lot of fading on edges and in recesssed areas. It gives it so much more depth on the final product.

I've lit some fiber optics in a few places around the hull, it looks pretty cool.. Anxious to light the whole thing at some point, gonna' be a lot of strands in there! I'll keep you posted as it moves along! Thanks for the interest guys! :wave:

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
to clarify, I wasn't asking.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Progress Update 9/6

Last night and today, I added some paintwork to the main hull components.
I used (4) shades of Tamiya/Testors flat greys so far. I do a lot of fade work with the paint, rather than definitive sharp lines on everything, although I do small detail that way. The red is Tamiya Mica Red.

I also added a large hole for all of the fiber optics bundles from the upper observation/control towers to feed thru.

There are (20) holes in the window areas of each tower room.

After some tedious work time, the strands are all pulled thru. It looks like some whiskered animal when its done. The strands will be trimmed later on.

The bundle passes thru the cutout areas I had made previously in the tower components.

Time for a test light.....read on.....:cool:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fiber optics update 9/6

I keep a few LED's rigged up for test lighting, so I quickly threw this together to see if the strands would light properly.....

Obviously, it's working!!

It should look pretty cool when it's all trimmed up and lighting the windows.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Just curious - the fiber looks a tad small for the holes. How are you going to secure them?

Rob
Iwata Padawan
One of the best ways to secure fiber optics is to use 5 minute epoxy. This will give you time to position it before it hardens. Also it will not discolor the fiber like super glue will.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, I'll fill the windows with 5 min. epoxy as stated, that way it will give them more of a "window" look rather than just a bored hole. The holes aren't too much larger than the optics strands. That's the smallest strands I have, and I almost had to force them thru the holes! They are super small, and my eyes were buggin' out trying to see them! LOL!

I also will secure the bundle in the body of the tower with some hot glue first to hold it in place as well. I got some expert lessons from Randy at VoodooFx. Thsi stuff isn't too bad once you get the hang of it, and it amazes me at how well it actually works and looks! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
your build looks great> I wood love to do another one of these kits but there hi dollar but well made so who knows.

·
Registered
477 Posts
your build looks great> I wood love to do another one of these kits but there hi dollar but well made so who knows.

The price is lower now that it is available in the US. It is $32.49 at hobbylinc. Much better than the prices it was when it was only available from Revell Germany.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts