Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a while since I was here last.

Anyway. I have an old lawn chief tractor that had a 12 hp engine with a single wire with a red cap around the connector. I replaced that engine with an older (early-mid 90's) opposed twin 18 hp engine. The problem is that the wiring is different.

On the old tractor, there were a total of 3 wires on the engine. The main hot lead going to the starter (same on the new engine), a black wire that I think is just a ground (goes to the throttle linkage on the old engine), and the wire I mentioned above.

The new engine on the other hand has 3 wires compared to the 1 charging wire of the old engine.

The new engine has a single wire with a round plug with black covering and 2 more wires going to a double plug. What is the best way of wiring this all together so that it works properly?

Thanks...

·
Registered
750 Posts
if u wire it wrong it probably wont work and maybe short something out.. check google for wiring diagrams or look for repair manuals

·
Registered
193 Posts
i think theres a block that B&S sells that you plug in the 3 wire and it breaks it down to the single wire, its alittle block. Im almost positive I seen on of these before, can you tell us eninge numbers (model, type, code)

·
Registered
750 Posts
yes ropers right its a regulator =) thought they were only on cars but it you have a charging system in your starter itll have a regulator

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the info on the 2 engines:

old 12hp
model number
type
0179-01
code

new 18hp
model number
type
1214 01
code
19306145A

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW I mean to clarify my first post. The lawn cheif tractor is from around 1987, the new engine is from the mid 90's or so.

I re-read my first post and realized that I made it sound like that the replacement engine is older than the orignal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts