Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking at an old 22" cutaway I built about 10 years ago. I got it back from my son recently, I had built it for room decoration when he was about 7. It's missing the bussard domes but everything else is there. I want to crack it open and add lights...correction...I want to totally refurbish it. I've found a source for new decals but I can't find replacement domes. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, I dunno. On a related note, is there anything that is pre-existing that I can buy and modify into new domes as an alternative? I'm currently stumped.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I saw that. That's where I plan on getting the decals. The thing is, I don't want the other parts, just the domes. I emailed Don about the possibility of just getting domes but have not heard back yet. It makes sense to look for alternatives and with the creativity and experience around here, I figure someone had this problem before..

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Yeah, I saw that. That's where I plan on getting the decals. The thing is, I don't want the other parts, just the domes. I emailed Don about the possibility of just getting domes but have not heard back yet. It makes sense to look for alternatives and with the creativity and experience around here, I figure someone had this problem before..
Did you try CultTVman?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I bought some (hemispherical domes) from Plastruct that worked out great. http://www.plastruct.com/Home.html .

You have to measure the old ones (bussard caps) or the inner diameter of the nacelle. I think I bought the 25.4 mm, or 28.6. Anyways just take a measurement the closest one to your measurement will work. What nice is they come in packs of 5 or singles. Sorry I don't have them handy to tell you exactly which size.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Have to agree w/the above. I emailed Don months ago about enough engine parts to do a Scout/Destroyer and I never received a reply. I'm going to be using kit parts instead.

The only problem w/ ordering for me is that the order system assumes a US mailing address automatically. Shipping charges are clearly not the same to Canada. I'm considering more parts, but it's fairly low on my priority list right now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don did send me a reply today. He is willing to sell them individually. I'm going to look at the plastruct idea too but I figure I will order from him since I need decals too and he has them. If Don reads this board, thanks for answering so quickly.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Pitfall, glad you got your answer! I may have sounded a little harsh about emails to Don, didn't really mean too. Like I said above I have not problem ordering form him. He's got a GREAT product for sure! Just a little frustrating not getting a reply. Maybe he's not getting them from me for some reason? Could be.

hal9001-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts