Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Round2 won't be releasing the Interplanetary UFO Kit until december I have decided to pull out my old gray Leif Ericson kit and rework it. This is a kit I did as a kid when I didn't have much of a clue about painting or gluing. Its mostly unpainted but I did paint the tower, the front cone section, the raised sections of the wings and the windows. There are also a few places where there are glue smears on the hull around seams.

I'd like to remove all the paint and get the entire kit down to gray plastic again. I would appreciate some advice in materials and techniques that would help to remove the old enamel paint and Testor's glue without removing the raised details. I'm looking for what kinds of thinners or solvent would work best and how should it be applied.

TIA

Regards,
MattL

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
easy off might be too harsh for the old plastic. Someone else might have a suggestion on the solvent to use.

As for getting rid of the excess glue, just wet sand with 800 grit or something and polish it up. be careful not to get the seam lines or raised detail. I usually put the sandpaper square and use a corner tip to do intricate things like that. Swirling motion instead of back and fourth, left and right.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Best stuff I've used, even on old models (dating back to the 70's) is "Super Clean"

Use to be sold as "Castrol Super Clean" - try the auto store or a hardware store for it

Careful when using, it's a high-powered de-greaser - and will start removing skin in little time - gloves and probably eye protection are indicated - if you get any on un-protected skin, flush liberally with water

Get a tub large enough to fit the largest part, dump in the Super Clean, immerse the model for 2-4 hours, get an old toothbrush and lightly scrub

Repeat as needed

And I've left old plastic in the Super Clean for a couple weeks with no detrimental effects to the plastic itself

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. That was fast an the answers were pretty amazing. I never thought Easy Off would be the answer and even Testors says so:

http://www.testors.com/faq

Q. How do I remove paint from my model?

A. To remove the dried enamel film, you may use Polly Scale Easy Lift Off Remover F542143.

Many modelers have found that this is an effective way of removing the enamel without harming the polystyrene. Apply the remover and leave it on the effected area until the paint starts to wrinkle. Using a soft sponge, rub the film under running warm water. The film will rinse right off.

A repeat application of the ELO may be necessary depending on thickness of the enamel applications. However, if the enamel surface has been sanded, it will be much more difficult to remove the paint remover. Of course, follow the precautions listed on the ELO product label. You may also use Easy-Off Oven Cleaner, we recommend the Fragrance Free version of the product, in the same procedure listed above. Once completed, clean the area with a mild dishwashing or laundry detergent and allow to air dry before you touch up the area with paint. You also can wet sand areas that do not involve clear parts. Simply apply moisture to the paper and gently rub. Rinse out grit to keep the paper workable.

Magesblood, I also appreciated your technique for sanding. When you described that I remembered using exactly that method all those 25 years ago when I was heavy into the hobby. Its good to be doing it again. Thanks to all you guys for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards,
MattL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts