Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning guys, I'm beginning to work on my next project car......a Tyco 80's Monte Carlo body that my dad got in a lot of slot bodies last week. Dad doesn't know that I've got this body and am working on it for him.......but I plan on stripping this old caked on model paint,doing a few things to the body (cowl hood, and etc.)priming, and painting it ASAP for him.

What's the best way and safest way to strip old model paint from these plastic slot car bodies??? I don't want to soften the plastic at all........so your advice and expertise is welcome here guys. THANKS, Brian :wave:

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I use to remove the glass put the car in a plastic zip lock baggy and spray with oven cleaner check in 1 - 2 hours take and lold tooth brush and remove the paint. This always worked good wityh TYCO's

Roger Corrie

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hey there Tex,

I've heard of using Simple Green, Pine-Sol and brake fluid works well, but I use Easy-Off oven cleaner--just don't expect it to take of those old "baked on" tampos off the old AFXers. ;)

cheers...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hey TX, listen, not to be dissing Boss9 at all, but I've heard that brake fluid is a bad idea. With all due respect to you Boss, I read a post by a guy who tried that and it made the body really brittle.

Take that for what its worth.
Trev

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shadowracer said:
Hey TX, listen, not to be dissing Boss9 at all, but I've heard that brake fluid is a bad idea. With all due respect to you Boss, I read a post by a guy who tried that and it made the body really brittle.

Trev

Trev, thanks for the advice. I've used brake fluid to clean some thicker plastics before and I had no problems at all with the outcome.....but I wasn't sure about it on this thinner plastic body.

I began soaking the body in Oven cleaner (inside of a ziplock bag) right after Roger and Phil posted. I just got done with brushing and washing the body off....98% of all of the paint and original chrome (this Monte was a Chrome version) came off with the first application. I just started my second application of oven cleaner to remove the remaining minute traces of old paint and chrome.

So far everything looks cherry......so I'd definately recomend this method. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
TX Street Racer said:
What's the best way and safest way to strip old model paint from these plastic slot car bodies??? I don't want to soften the plastic at all........so your advice and expertise is welcome here guys. THANKS, Brian :wave:
I posted this here before a while ago... but I'm not sure it applies to Tyco. The Road Race Replicas web site has a painting and finishing FAQ page that has a lot of tips for restoring old Tjets... it seems that Spic N Span will take off model paint from original Tjets, but will leave the original Aurora detail paint. I did this myself with an El Camino and a Cheetah. Observe the magic:

I got similar results using Spic N Span to remove paint from an Eldon Camaro. I don't know, however, if the plastic used in Tyco bodies is the same and would hold up okay... anyone?

--rick

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rick, I am flat out amazed at the results on those Tjets.......

The crap I'm using is an off brand......but it totally stripped everything from this Tyco body.

What is with the hole on the back of that Camino?? Is that where the surboards were secured??

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Shadowracer said:

Trev
No worries there Shadow. :wave:
I know very little about a lot of stuff discussed here and I'm always learning. I basically just keep em' runnin' and do some custom body and paint work. That's it. I haven't tried brake fluid myself and used Easy-Off as a staple stripper for some time now. I think it's pretty safe. Here's a couple of bodies I've had soaking for over three months with no ill effects:

cheers..

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
TX Street Racer said:
What is with the hole on the back of that Camino?? Is that where the surboards were secured??
I assume so. This is the only original El Camino I have ever had, and this is the way I got it, no boards...

--rick

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Ummm... can't say for sure about the SnS on Tycos. never tried it.

--rick

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ParkRNDL said:
Ummm... can't say for sure about the SnS on Tycos. never tried it.

--rick
I'd say probably all oven cleaner sprays are closely matched......I was using an off brand today....but like I mentioned earlier.....it totally stripped what looked to be at least two coats of old black model paint, a yellow coat of model paint, and the original Tyco chrome plating from this Tyco body.

Totally clean,fresh and ready for body work,primer, and paint. Hopefully I can get this project done by next week :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
ParkRNDL said:
I assume so. This is the only original El Camino I have ever had, and this is the way I got it, no boards...

--rick
Hi Rick,

Check out the Hot Wheels Delorean II those Surf boards it has would look good on your El Camino

Roger Corrie

·
Tyco & Mopar Freak!
4,913 Posts
Hey guys... I did tried easy off and it worked so well on tyco bodies!!! I had over 10 terrible painted job bodies that I was gonna toss them out (pine sol and another did not work at all) but I used easy off and let it soak in zip lock bag for 2 days . I took them all out and it came right off with toothbrush! even all the way to the bone!! I will use this from now on. thanks guys for the info!

Thanks!
Wes

·
Registered
229 Posts
I use easy off to remove lettering enamel from some signs and vehcles that have hardener in the base paint job but it never entered my mind to try the baggie idea on slots! I stripped an Impala afx cop car that Im gonna convert to a 2 door Caprice stock car last Saturday and it worked great! Thanks for the tricks and ideas guys.
Circle Track DAC

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
That must be the reason I haven't had as good results. I posted that pic of bodies I've had in a tub for a few months and I'm thinking that not having it sealed is the problem. I have a Tyco Porsche body in there that was originally green and silver--and it still is, mostly. I will have to try the baggie trick and see if that does it. I'll let you know.

Thank you for the tip!

cheers..

·
Registered
114 Posts
I posted this here before a while ago... but I'm not sure it applies to Tyco. The Road Race Replicas web site has a painting and finishing FAQ page that has a lot of tips for restoring old Tjets... it seems that Spic N Span will take off model paint from original Tjets, but will leave the original Aurora detail paint. I did this myself with an El Camino and a Cheetah. Observe the magic:

I got similar results using Spic N Span to remove paint from an Eldon Camaro. I don't know, however, if the plastic used in Tyco bodies is the same and would hold up okay... anyone?

--rick

what's the best way removing/reattaching glass and bumpers ? thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts