Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm in the midst of reworking a JL purple pullback Chevy Nomad body for a good friend of mine. The problem is, I can't seem to strip this friggin' paint! :freak: I have some "Castrol Super Clean"....which I soaked the body in for a while last night....and not a darn thing happened. I've heard of people using this product to strip model car paint from styrene.....but no luck for me right now.

I'm thinking about trying brake fluid........anyone else have any suggestions?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Stripping...

TX,

For stripping I use dollar bills.. :D
I to use to super clean also and found the same thing.. I went to brake fluid and have tried pinesol cleaner..They seem to work the best on the JL paint.. If you still can't get the paint off micro mark sells a stripper for plastic models that dissolves even old Lacquer paint. I believe it is called STRIP EASE.
The brake fluid works on the AW cars well. Takes a little longer due to the clear I found on some.. :freak:
Hope this helps..

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, so far the Nomad body has been submerged in the brake fluid for a couple hours now......and this friggin' paint is STILL holding on tight!!! :drunk:

Hell, next I may go with Carb cleaner....lol

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
If I recall. I used the Testor's airbrush thinner for the purple and pink JLs from their pullback series. Would set it in for an hour or so then scrub it with qtips. That color was a pain. rr

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pain is an understatement......this Nomad has been soaking since this morning....and STILL no movement on the paint....

Tomorrow I stop by the garage and pick up a can of Carb cleaner....lol

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Careful with that carb spray, Tex...
We don't want you to end up with a tombstone or in a ghost town jest yet...:drunk:
You try rubbin' it with some of that scrub-grass you got out there? I bet that would take er' down!

Seriously, there tumbleweed::cool:
Jest mosey down to the local general store and pic up a can o' Easy-off...

That'll that'll put spikes on yer cactus! ;)

Giddyap'...
phil

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Woaaah Brian, Carb cleaners have bad nasties that can really do a number on certain plastics! Can you say Smeltorama? Easy off and patience like the Boss says.

BH

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
gear buster said:
TX,

For stripping I use dollar bills.. :D
I to use to super clean also and found the same thing.. I went to brake fluid and have tried pinesol cleaner..They seem to work the best on the JL paint.. If you still can't get the paint off micro mark sells a stripper for plastic models that dissolves even old Lacquer paint. I believe it is called STRIP EASE.
The brake fluid works on the AW cars well. Takes a little longer due to the clear I found on some.. :freak:
Hope this helps..
So pinesol wont hurt the JL/AW plastic, huh? I heard it would soften it. Thats good info, since Ive got a few repaints in mind for some of those pullback bodies...

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, Carb cleaner is a last resort....lol.... I do have a can of Easy Off somewhere around here....... I'm just ready to get this paint off....so I can begin working...lol :tongue:

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I;ve used easy off oven cleaner on a few JL bodies and that pulled the paint off, bit you have to be careful not to let it soak too long. It tends to soften up the plastic

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I've always used Pinesol and it always worked, however I never stripped a purple car. I can't understand why someone would, but I guess that's just me. I like purple. I have soaked JL cars in Pinesol for up to a week with no ill effects on the plactic. However you must remove the chrome and glass as it will cloud the glass and blacked the chrome.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Micyou03 is right. Pinesol will not hurt the car. I stripped one of the purple chargers. It took two different baths in the Pinesol plus using a new stiff toothbrush before all the purple came off.

Omega :)

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Oh, but the smell....

I had a JL Superbird that I stripped twice with pine sol...
After that the front screw post broke on it.
I don't know if it was related to the Pine Sol or not.
But the plastic took on the odour of Pine Sol.
Whew.....
Scott

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
micyou03 said:
I've always used Pinesol and it always worked, however I never stripped a purple car. I can't understand why someone would, but I guess that's just me. I like purple.QUOTE]

Well, this Nomad is going to be a custom that a friend of mine has commisioned me to do. He fell in love with a Nomad custom that I built a few years ago where I screw posted a Tjet chassis.....and used some RRR wheels. He wants one built in similiar fashion....hence why I'm stripping the purple paint.

I've dechromed and deglassed the car..... so it can be reassembled later ;)

Maybe I'll poke around here and see if we have some Pine Sol......

Thanks for the input and suggestions guys! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just throwing in my 2 cents here. I have tried pretty much everything to strip these puppies, and have settled on Pine-Sol as being the most consistent, least sloppy, and least likely to damage plastic. The trick is to soak the car (probably about a day for the old JL pinks and purples), then scrub it with the toothbrush IN the Pine-Sol jar. If you try to scrub it under running water, you will just make a big mess. I also have another jar with 50% Pine-Sol/50% water that I transfer the bodies to after the first scrub. This jar also has it's own toothbrush that stays with the jar. These two steps should get it completely stripped of paint and once that's done you can finally rinse (and scrub with ANOTHER toothbrush) under running water. Of course, if you're only stripping one body, you can use the same toothbrush throughout, just make sure you stick with that order and don't get water on it until the paint is all gone.
Also, AVOID BRAKE FLUID. It will take paint off, but I have had a couple of cars crumble in my hands after using it, and will never use it again.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just peeked in on my Nomad again a few minutes ago. It sat all night and all day in Brake Fluid....and has began slowly removing the paint. The paint is all hazed/cracked up......and some of the paint was removed with a toothbrush.....revealing a beautiful stripped body underneath.

It's not perfect just yet....but getting there. I've now switched to soaking the car in Easy Off oven cleaner....going to see how well that works. I checked for Pine sol.....but we're out.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts