Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than race the real thing, I would like to race some "stand in" Hot Wheels with my 2 boys from my era.

I have a couple of Series 3 Knitty Gritty Kittys that I would like to stripe and number like the Spoilers series of 1970. But each has pinstriping down the side.

Is there any method to remove these unwanted pinstripes on these 2 modern Hot Wheels. Thanks!

Jim Norton
Huntsville,AL

·
Registered
167 Posts
2 ways I have been told, but have not tryed, are, nail polish remover or brake fluid. good luck and be careful[/QU I use n.p. remover but don't over rub or you will start to remove the paint. Use a cotton ball,not a q-tip. And like stated, don't get it on any plastic parts.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I use Professional Grade Nail Polish Remover with Q-Tips as Q-Tips give you more control over Cottom Pads or Cotton Balls. Just make sure you let the Chemical do the work and not you rubbing real hard as you will rub into the paint and cause more problems than what you started. I have been doing this for over 32 years in removing Tampos and it works for me. Like stated above do not hit the Plastic as it will make it fade but if you do get some on the Plastic Windshield you can always buff that out with Car Polish to get it back to clear if the Plastic was clear from the start. If you choose to use other Chemicals make sure you get a Car that is trashed before attempting that Chemical. Do make sure you are outside too if you are using harsh Chemicals too so you wont burn down your home if anything may happen. Have fun but becareful as you are using Chemicals. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long?

When you apply nailpolish remover to the graphis how long should it set? Will a quick wipe remove the stripe in question or do you have to work with it?

At what point willthe nailpolish start to attack the car's paint job?

Thanks.

Jim Norton
Huntsville, AL

·
Registered
790 Posts
Get a can of Aerosol carb cleaner...
Spray some in a small dish (or the can lid)
Dip a q-tip in, and run along the stripe. It should come off very quickly and easily.
A caution: if you have saturated the q-tip, some may run down the car. If it hits another tampo, even without rubbing, it will come off.
Doesn't affect the paint at all.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
When you apply nailpolish remover to the graphis how long should it set? Will a quick wipe remove the stripe in question or do you have to work with it?

At what point willthe nailpolish start to attack the car's paint job?

Thanks.

Jim Norton
Huntsville, AL

What I do is fill the Nail Polish Cap with the fluid and dip my Q-Tip in it
to get the Q-Tip nice and wet and then I set the tip on where I want to
remove and then lightly start rolling the Q-Tip and this will start gathering
up the paint from the Tampo that I am removing. It does take practice
but that's what all Customs are, practice makes perfect. Take your time
and you will get better at removing Tampos. I have messed up many in the
past from my hand slipping or something, but you can always fix the Car by
removing everything for a cleaner look. Have fun and hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I forgot to add above....... You really dont need to rub hard if the
Nail Polish is working and if it doesn't work fast enough for you, you
can always do what was said above with Carb Cleaner but the Carb
Cleaner does evaporate faster than Nail Polish does. Hope this helps
too....

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have 2 cars to make into retro Nitty Gritty Kittys. Thanks for the ideas. I will try nail polish remover on one and carb cleaner on the other. Wise me luck!

Jim Norton
Huntsville, AL

·
Registered
799 Posts
I use acetone to remove tampos. I first tape over the tampos i want to keep then dip a Q-tip in acetone then tap the Q-tip on a rag so the acetone does not run. here is a pic where I removed the hotwheels logo from the door of a super van. BEFORE
[/IMG] AFTER
[/IMG]

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
For me, like Dusrusg, I much prefer carb cleaner.
It wont effect the paint like npr sometimes does.
And it works WAY faster too!

Soak your Q-Tip fairly heavily and *POOF*...gonesville, daddy!

Carb cleaner, otherwize known in some circles as Lummox Oil! :)

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
I use acetone to remove tampos. I first tape over the tampos i want to keep then dip a Q-tip in acetone then tap the Q-tip on a rag so the acetone does not run. here is a pic where I removed the hotwheels logo from the door of a super van. BEFORE
[/IMG] AFTER
[/IMG]
Nice work! I must have those whip anntenae's, where'd ya get those, and how did you attach?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts