Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The newbie thread discussion regarding the best controller jogged a long dormant brain cell. I remembered the 1/24 racing day some 35-40 years ago and the first solid state controller I ever saw. It was a thumb controller with a large aluminum box base that housed the electronics. I can't seem to remember the name or any other particulars. Does anyone have any further information, picture, etc.?
I still have one of my old cox thumb controllers. I remember getting cramps in my thumb after some particularly long racing events. I also remember one particular marathon event where a controller got so hot that I actually melted finger imprints into the sides of the plastic housing!!
Ah... the good old days. Champion vs. mura vs. parma... scratch builts vs. commercial chassis... home rewinds vs. the latest California rewind... back when I had eyesite... and reflexes...
The very first slot car race I won, I received a blue 1st place ribbon. I have it to this day and is one of my prized possessions.

Sigh...

Gary
AKA LeeRoy98
www.marioncountyraceway.com

·
Registered
554 Posts
I hear ya Gary! Now most people race cartoon equivalents on a digitized screen where the reset button can bail your ass if you're losing. Racing meant something then. If only the ones that it still matters to could "Beam" in once a week it would surely be fun!!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I still have my old Cox controllers with the 3 prong electrical plug on them,
like the ones that plug into an electrical outlet.
All the 24 scale commercial tracks had those plugs on them in the 60's in Detroit.

I remember those Cox controllers getting hot and smoking.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I remember the first " micro -switches" that we put on our Russkit controller that would shoot the power straight through to the track. Running a double 26 wire in a Mura B-can Jailhouse frame and a Stock car body. Those were the days my friends. Gone but not forgotten. I think I hear Bruce Springsteens " glory days" rattling around in my head. Guess it's time for my meds Ahhhhhhh comfortably numb.
Clyde-0-Mite

·
Most Interesting Member
6,313 Posts
I remember my Tyco thumb controllers that came with my Curve Hugger track when I was a kid. The white one worked fine, but the red one didn't work right after awhile. I figured out it wasn't the cars. I took the controller apart to "fix" it. that was my first experience with heat sink compound. It got all over me and anything around me. It seemed to stick to me for days. I remember thinking, "wear did that come from".

Rich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts