Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine approached me and said he had some tubs of HWs he wanted to sell, I told him I'd take a look and see what we could do. Little did I know it would be over 1000 HWs.

I just got done going through them, and they are not worth anything, maybe .50 a piece at an upcoming show I'm doing. I found four THs, but he says there are more somewhere and maybe some more tubs.

What does all this mean: He got caught up in the HWs hype of the late 90s early 00s and bought everything he could get his hands on, and some duplicates. Now he's faced with a big loss and a lot of donations to Toys for Tots.

Remember, Collect what you like, not for profit.

It's my Motto.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
GeraldE61 said:

It's my Motto.
I second that! I have over 800 to 900 Hot wheels. Probably 600 to 800 of them I don't care for. I got caught up in it too. Oh well at least I've learned…..I think. :freak: I'm lucky enough that I now have the space to store them to where they are not in the way. If I don't sell them, then I'll just hang on to them for my kids (when I have them).

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I've got just over 800 cars, an dI love them all :thumbsup: Most of the collection I wouldn't want to sell at all, and I'm pretty happy with it.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jeep4x4 said:
I second that! I have over 800 to 900 Hot wheels. Probably 600 to 800 of them I don't care for. I got caught up in it too. Oh well at least I've learned…..I think. :freak: I'm lucky enough that I now have the space to store them to where they are not in the way. If I don't sell them, then I'll just hang on to them for my kids (when I have them).

I to was caught up in it, luckly I was only buying First Editions and some series. Took a case to Toys for Tots a few years back and gave full sets of FEs to friends.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
GeraldE61 said:

It's my Motto.

True that!!! :thumbsup: .... Its a waste to buy over 4 or 5 duplicates of a car... The most I have of one car is 4 yellow Ferrari F430's, 3 C6R's, and about three more cars I have 3 duplicates of... Any ways I sometimes get duplicates, so I can Customize one and leave the other one for display...

:thumbsup: ---Midnightrun--- :wave: :wave:

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
I unloaded upwards of 2,000 Hot Wheels last year, but not because I collected for profit. I was enjoying the buying, finding new product constantly in the stores, variations, completing sets, it was fun while it lasted. I had a nice core of collector buddies that we would help each other out to find what each other couldn't.

Times sure have changed now. Finding new product is few and far between, completing sets became a hassle. Storage problems arose. None of us collects many mainline cars any more though, if any at all.

Almost everyone gets to that point, where they run out of room, or money, or patience from the wife, or some combination of all 3, and you reassess what's important to you. What ended up being important to me was, the space the cars took up was very valuable to me. Even condensed in the boxes they came in, 38 cases+ of Hot Wheels can not be put somewhere without being noticed.

Also I came to realize that while collecting the complete sets was fun, I couldn't enjoy all the cars I had that were in boxes. Instead I had a list of cars that I had printed on paper. I like to actually SEE my collection from time to time, not go exploring and discover cars I forgot I had. Some people like this and that's fine, but not me.

I went to just collecting castings I like, and not every lousy variation. For example, I don't own this year's '67 Camaro with those pitiful Y5 wheels. I'm not going to buy versions I don't like just to have them all.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I couldn't agree more. I started collecting in late 2000, first with all the JL drag racing cars. Then in got into the 6 cars sets of VW, Tri-chevy, and a few others. When I realized most new stuff was repaints of old stuff, and there wasn't much I was interested in, I discovered HWs. So I began with the FEs and some of the series sets. With the help of many people on this board, I managed to get the FEs all the way back to '95. Fat lot of good it did me. No room to display so I kept them in boxes. A few months ago I find out all the cards have become moldy. Not that I collected for profit as they weren't bought for reselling, but I preferred to keep the cardboard. Now I've begun ripping things open, but have to wait until I find more of the 48 car cases. I no longer buy the full sets of FEs (I quit the year they went to 100 FEs), too many cars are ugly as sin. I just collect the castings I like now.

I've also realized that to rip them open, display them in some kind of case, and actually hold one in your hand is a lot more enjoyable than storing them away someplace in a box. Out of sight, out of mind.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Up until a year or two ago if a new HW I liked came out I'd probably buy one to open,one to put on the wall,and 2 or 3 to put away. Now I look through my box and think "why?" Now I only buy one,and either open it or keep it in the package,no sense in having two of the same exact car (at least in my opinion). So I've been either giving them to friends or putting them in a box for toys for tots next year.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
GeraldE61 said:
A friend of mine approached me and said he had some tubs of HWs he wanted to sell, I told him I'd take a look and see what we could do. Little did I know it would be over 1000 HWs.

I just got done going through them, and they are not worth anything, maybe .50 a piece at an upcoming show I'm doing. I found four THs, but he says there are more somewhere and maybe some more tubs.

What does all this mean: He got caught up in the HWs hype of the late 90s early 00s and bought everything he could get his hands on, and some duplicates. Now he's faced with a big loss and a lot of donations to Toys for Tots.

It's my Motto.
i thought your Motto was "Open them!, they are just toys!"

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's so good to hear that I am not alone. I have felt this way for quite a while but continued to buy out of loyalty to the brand. Now with so many cars packed away that I probably will never look at I have finally decided to only collect what I REALLY like. I think everyone will come to this realization some day.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I agree I have a few hot wheels and green lights and JLs and some others I don't even know what they are but Hey I liked them so I bought them. Geralde61 did you buy any of them not counting the T.Hs.LOL......

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DaCustomizer said:
i thought your Motto was "Open them!, they are just toys!"
I changed it

Snowman:

I have bought nothing, the THs will go on Ebay along with some other high end cars.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
My collecting habits caused me to pause when I noticed I had like 8 castings of the same JL Dart in different colors. Not that it is not a fine casting but I had to ask myself with there being thousands of diecast I don't have yet why am I buying 8 of the same thing?
Luckily for me my HW collecting (and Matchbox for that matter) has always been tempered into only getting one casting of the more realistic looking cars.
I still struggle with this rule when it comes to JL's and GL's but I am working on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts