Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought there may be some interest in this here.

Part 1 of the recreation of the crash sequence used in the pilot episode and stock footage from Lost in Space using a duplicate of the 4' Filming miniature.

Just some clarification to my involvement in this on going project...

I always preferred the Gemini 12 miniature to the Jupiter 2. I liked the larger viewports , larger fusion core and no pretense of a lower deck. The ship is much sleeker than the Jupiter 2.
Six years ago I decided I would find out it's location and offer to do a restoration of the miniature. This lead to some detective work to track down the current owner and whereabouts of the model. I knew it had been bought at auction.

I didn't perform anything so difficult that someone else interested in the miniature could have accomplished, I am just the guy who just actually got off his butt and wanted to find it.

Through various sources I found the name of the man who purchased the miniature at auction. So, through FaceBook, I made contact with the owner, Andre Dohnt. Explained to him what I wanted to do and Andre told me he was glad I called, as he was thinking to get the miniature restored! We spoke on the Phone several times and it looked like it was going to happen.
AWESOME!
I sent him examples of my work and he was pleased and ready to go. However logistics proved a challenge. The Miniature being located in Southern California...MY location East coast, right outside of Philadelphia.
I contacted a fellow modeler, Joel Tavera with the good news! Joel urged me on and was excited for me! We discussed different applications to restore the miniature.

Then Andre sent me a Picture of the then current state of the model...uhoh! There was NO WAY it would traverse across country and remain in one piece. It was THAT bad. Spoke to Joel again several times trying to figure out how to safely get the model to me...

I just didn't want to chance it.
My Ego was bruised as the restoration would have been a major feather in my cap. But, I still wanted to get the job done...somehow???

Paul Lubliner and I had been friends a number of years at this time. He had worked on The Fantasy Worlds Of Irwin Allen. He is by far the worlds first and foremost Seaview expert. When the Moebius model came out, I reached out to him for the proper colors while everyone else followed the same inaccurate mantra of Light Ghost Grey. It's not.

Paul was not a huge Lost in Space fan, but like me loved all of Irwin Allen's Miniatures and special effects.
I presented him the situation of the restoration. He became somewhat Interested, I acted as a "middleman" between Paul and Andre and after a number of Emails and phone calls The two finally agreed to talk.
Ultimately Paul did the masterful restoration.

After the restoration both Mike and Paul were curious how I achieved certain effects in some homemade special effects with my custom 18" Moebius Jupiter 2. How I lit the model/painted it ETC...

That's the rather boring story of my involvement and how the original Gemini 12 from Lost in Space was restored.

My special thanks to Mike Clark who insisted I contribute my video segments to all the projects. Although I resisted, he said it could't have happened without my involvement...To which I greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark Myers

There are some pleasant surprises throughout for fellow Lost in Space fans and Sci Fi Fans!

Here is the current video...

And the actual restoration video for those who may have missed it...

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Paul, Mark, and all the others, well done. Very well done indeed! A most impressive record of fans to the rescue.

It's always been sad to me, or maybe say regretful, how the Irwin Allen productions weren't embraced by the nascent 'media fandom' of the day, but we fans suffered from the same blinders that were in play, the 'embedded playbook' that ruled Hollywood and TV executives at the time. To wit: Science Fiction (and Monsters. Don't forget monsters) was 'children's programming', entertainment for juveniles and not needed to be treated in a serious manner. Even The Outer Limits and The Invaders, while not overtly tagged 'kid tv', still were thought of by the 'suits' as family entertainment. People will disagree (it's the internet! Of COURSE people will disagree!) but all one has to do is look at the industry trade publications from the times.

These blinders affected fans as well. Saying "hey, I like some of what IA has done. there's a lot of creativity in his productions" was a sure ticket to being shunned.

And those blinders affected the productions as well. I think IA himself said something like 'make it big and bright and have some explosions. that's all the kids want'. Not that that's inaccurate of course. But some of us want more. Sadly, IA and 20th Fox did not embrace fans like Roddenberry did (and some would use the word exploit with documented justification).

I won't even bother to mention the sad events of the fate of the props, miniatures, et al post-production.

So we don't have the providence of what was done with Lincoln Enterprises, taking film trims, outtakes and other items out of the trash (and of questionable harvesting from the Desilu film vault!) to make slides to sell to fans, which turned into important documentation (among other items including contemporaneous paperwork) in the restoration of the 11 foot filming model of the Enterprise.

So those dedicated few who DO care about the works of IA have had to work by guess and by golly. Effectively recreating a 'civilization' from a handful of shards of pottery, only a few of which actually connect.

Again I say, well done, sirs! And thank you.

·
BANNED
8,000 Posts
" Science Fiction (and Monsters. Don't forget monsters) was 'children's programming', entertainment for juveniles and not needed to be treated in a serious manner. Even The Outer Limits and The Invaders, while not overtly tagged 'kid tv', still were thought of by the 'suits' as family entertainment. " .......

the advertising content at the time of the original broadcasts speaks volumes as to intended audience I think.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Fantastic! Love that the results still look GREAT from a modern perspective. It just works (with a lot of effort of talented folks).

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Actually, I do have a question about the restoration. There's a clear 'cup' in the cockpit space between the light 'wall' and the 'control boxes'. It's below the 'sight line' of the windows that makes me think, if that's true to the miniature back in the day, it might serve to scatter the light further and help create the illusion of an interior. My thinking is that if they had kept the original 'Space Family Robinson' plot all we would have seen of the Gemini 12 is what we saw in the first episode of LiS, the launch, the flight and (seen later) the crash. No need to even fake up the interior with figures like was done with the Jupiter II. Once down the G12 would never fly again. It's rather like the original Planet of the Apes. The ship had only to exist long enough to establish how the protagonists got to where they are. At least that's my take on it.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually, I do have a question about the restoration. There's a clear 'cup' in the cockpit space between the light 'wall' and the 'control boxes'. It's below the 'sight line' of the windows that makes me think, if that's true to the miniature back in the day, it might serve to scatter the light further and help create the illusion of an interior. My thinking is that if they had kept the original 'Space Family Robinson' plot all we would have seen of the Gemini 12 is what we saw in the first episode of LiS, the launch, the flight and (seen later) the crash. No need to even fake up the interior with figures like was done with the Jupiter II. Once down the G12 would never fly again. It's rather like the original Planet of the Apes. The ship had only to exist long enough to establish how the protagonists got to where they are. At least that's my take on it.
You're probably correct.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts