Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Sorry if this has been adressed elsewhere, I searched this forum and couldn't find any info. I am looking to purchase 2 or 3 reg. 12 volt 1 amp wall worts, can't locate any locally, and have been looking at several online sites, was wondering if any of you have a source for these you could recommend. The regulated supplys seem to be a lot less common than the class 2 transformers, some of the dealers I have spoken to don't know the difference, hate to order something and have to return it. Any info would be much appreciated:)......Gary

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Hello all,
Sorry if this has been adressed elsewhere, I searched this forum and couldn't find any info. I am looking to purchase 2 or 3 reg. 12 volt 1 amp wall worts, can't locate any locally, and have been looking at several online sites, was wondering if any of you have a source for these you could recommend. The regulated supplys seem to be a lot less common than the class 2 transformers, some of the dealers I have spoken to don't know the difference, hate to order something and have to return it. Any info would be much appreciated:)......Gary
http://www.powerstream.com/12-volt.htm

Would this work?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hello all,
The regulated supplys seem to be a lot less common than the class 2 transformers, some of the dealers I have spoken to don't know the difference, Gary
I don't know the difference.
I did just pick a few 12v wallwarts (between 500ma and 1 amp) at Goodwill for 50 cents a piece.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The regulated ones have a circuit that , well.regulates voltage:tongue: LEDs are very sensitive when it comes to voltage spikes, an unregulated wall wart can spike (or so i'm told) as much as 17 volts when first plugged in, and in use constantly changes although to a lesser degree. Common thinking is that over time an unregulated supply damages the LEDs making failure more likely as time passes. On a model like the 1/350 refit Enterprise, that I will eventually spend months working on, a few bucks spent on a regulated supply just seems like a good investment if it prevents a problem in the future. I have a few supplys that came from the thrift store as well, problem is, most regulated ones aren't labeled as such. Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts