Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again everyone. Been gone from the modeling scene for nearly 10 years. My original account became deactivated from inactivity. I was posting under the name 'zenomorp.' Been building Star Trek kits since I was 10 years old. A number of years ago I changed hobbies to working on cars but have been wanting to get back into this hobby for a while. With the crazy times we're living in right now, it's the perfect time to get back to modeling again with another Big E Refit build. It's just the kit I'm most familiar with and easiest for me to get back into the swing of things. I was never really THAT good but wanted to take my time now with this one and really turn out something great. This was the last one I did roughly 10 years ago...

Since I've been gone so long, I was wondering if there is a 'master list' of all aftermarket parts/pieces/masks/paints/parts providers, etc that has been compiled for this specific kit? I have pretty much lost all my info. I see there is a sticky for the TOS 1/350, but not one for the Refit. Curious if there is a master list of everything in one post that has been compiled or would I have to read through numerous posts/threads, which is fine. I don't plan on lighting this build and want to do a 'powered down/dry dock' version to make things easy on me for this first foray in a long time, so some things might be different from a normal build.

Any advice, links, or technical info that has developed since I've been out of the loop would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks for everyone still being here and having this resource for us all to enjoy.

-Mike

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hello again Mike (and everyone!) - I have been pretty inactive myself for a few years, but not inactive in research and development. Back when discussions were mostly about the refit I was engaging in a lot of the discussion and offered my OCD and obsession with the refit to aid others in the never-ending story of hyper-accurizing this kit. Back then I shared a hyper-accurate impulse grill decal (digital) set I created (I know Jason Ware used it - did a lot of co-research with him - Galaxy Photography, Images by Jason Ware) I have virtual piles of photos and notes and copies of the old refit sticky thread. I also will not be lighting it….. but it won't be "powered down". Over the years I have been studying and acquiring more and better tools and methods, and several things are pushing me forward - helping my 13 year old with his models, ventilation system installed in my centrally located workroom (I'm in MN so I can't rely on summer-garage weather!), and I had recently grabbed the 350 K't'inga, and also a DLM Bird of Prey Wing Hinge kit and new (unopened old '95 Generations release) BOP kit. I will be using one of my old STV refit kits I built back in '90 as a testbed for stripping down, smoothing out, filling in, and completely rescribing the ship (and yes I will do that to the PL kit - including the saucer grid bands), and paint practicing (the effect done on it will be intensely difficult). I run my own graphic design biz so along with redoing all the decals I have also been doing more 3d modeling, and am working on new parts - specifically the bridge, lower/planetary sensor array/dome, impulse deck, and possibly the deflector dish housing and portions of the warp engines. The aftermarket parts out there greatly improve on the original kit, but they still don't cut it for me…. though I know them, so I could still point you in the direction. I may be slow to respond though, as working at home is the norm for me anyway but helping 3 kids through distance learning is not exactly helping with my time management. I guess the question is, how deep into crazy do you want to go? (I'm obviously on my way) Are you set on replacing certain things and leaving the rest as-is or are you wanting to find more to fix?
Stay safe everyone, please don't underestimate the severity of the situation - if not for yourself, be safe for others.
Blessings!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kits are in. Time to get building. Gonna do an un-lit powered down 1701 followed by a lit 1701-A. Stay tuned!

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Small progress tonight. Just a quick update. Stand and deflector dish complete. Nothing to write home about but not too bad. All the painting I did on the dish needs touched up when when everything is all said and done. Looks pretty sloppy right now but I'll take care of it. Went with the styrene strips since it's so hard to paint the bands white. A bit too thick, but overall ok. I painted the interior housing blue just to get an idea of how it turned out if I was going to light it. Probably going to remove the blue to more closely resemble the studio model of being powered down.

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welp. Fast forward two weeks and she's all done. Best turnout I've had so far. Hard to capture the aztec in pictures but it looks really good in person. Not award-winning, but really good outcome in my book overall. A lit 1701-A is beckoning but I'll have to take a little time because these still zap a lot of my energy. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts