Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the "Corrections" thread there is a link to a Japanese web site in which they guy makes drastic changes to the kit. These include moving the concentric grid rings inward and making the bridge structure smaller.

The guy also has a plan showing that the bridge structure is smaller relative to the dish size than on the 350 kit and the official STTMP plans.

Even with google translation it is tough to follow what is going on. What I was wondering is if there is any reliable source that shows the bridge structure should be smaller than it is in the kit.

In other words, what source would cause someone to make such drastic alterations.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Got a link to the thread you're talking about, perhaps? I don't immediately see a "Corrections thread". I'm not currently working on a 350 Refit, so don't have any threads saved to my favorites, so am not sure which of the several different threads you might be referencing.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Okee doke. Thanks for the link. I've re-Stickied it so that it's easier to find. I remember it being there prior to my becoming Sponsor, but that must be one of the things that Hank un-Stickied between Dave/Capt. Locknar's tenure ending and me coming on as the sponsor.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Wow....

This Japanese guy has it dead on as far as accurizing... looks like he's done his homework. I think I've found my new instructions... unfortunately, like the Finemolds Falcon, they're in Japanese. . . .

I especially like his recreation of the lower planetary sensor array.... the kind of fix that I've been planning on doing, but it's the first time I've seen anyone do it relatively accurately. I will certainly be keeping tabs on that site.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
One thing you have to keep in mind: Fesarius is very likely insane. I mean, he is re-doing EVERYTHING.
But if that kind of madness is attractive, still a note of caution: while there's much obviously wrong with the kit (see the thread above to the inaccuracies link) some of his fixes (the panel lines on the saucer) have so far only shown up on his site and to my knowledge have never been confirmed by anyone. Unfortunately he's dead on about the windows, panel lines, etc on the engineering hull, tho. Wish I could figure out what he's on about when he shows the back of engineering hull looking fwd. Also, much of what he's done is before the Christies auction photos. Wonder if that's changed anything?
Does anybody here read Japanese???
Edit: I was just searching his page for some photos of his that I'd downloaded and it took me the longest time to find them. When navigating his site, be sure to check out not only the PL Refit near the bottom of his menu but also the item near the top of his menu, the 1701 Refit 2006/May/13 Update - once you're into it, it has five galleries across its top, each with very interesting and impressive stuff. Easy to think that the one page you're looking at there is the only one.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It is always nice to see someone being even more fanatical than me at trying to be accurate. (g) My one concern is that his site shows no justiv=fication for the changes. There is no comparison analysis so there is no way to tell where he is correct and where he is wrong. For this reason I cant rely on any of his conclusions.

Mark

·
Registered
382 Posts
I hear ya.... as with most discussions, it will lead me to do further research to come to my own conclusions..... I'm leaning in the direction that he is dead on because of his treatment with the lower planetary sensor array.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
marc111 said:
There is no comparison analysis so there is no way to tell where he is correct and where he is wrong. For this reason I cant rely on any of his conclusions.

Mark

Mark, I believe his comparison analysis on the kit can be found on this page:

http://fesarius.hp.infoseek.co.jp/index2.htm

Click on Enterprise [Refit] on left, then up at the top where he has his galleries click on the 3rd Gallery (mine says ??).

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
It would be nice to see a comparison between photos of the kit and the filming miniature, rather than between the kit drawings and his LW mesh.

But wow ... talk about thorough. And the secondary hull aztec is interesting, possibly as good a guide as any for the refit.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I've been pouring over every photo of the top of the Refit that I have, Photoshopping the best ones to size, and measuring and remeasuring, and after hours of this, there is absolutely no question in my mind that the panel lines on top of the saucer on the PL Refit kit are accurate. The easiest picture to confirm this from is one that I have that is numbered 1701a1.jpg. I don't know where or when I got it, but virtually everyone reading this should have it stored somewhere. It's a top view looking back at the Refit. Just enlarge to the PL kit's size and measure. Close enough. If you do that with every damn picture you have of the top of the saucer, you'll see that the panel lines are accurate.
I'm going to copy this and continue in the problems and fixes sticky thread above.

·
Registered
246 Posts
SteveR said:
It would be nice to see a comparison between photos of the kit and the filming miniature, rather than between the kit drawings and his LW mesh.
Steve, I think you have hit the nail on the head. I really don't think he is too bothered about the filming miniature. He has produced a mesh that he is very pleased with, and he is making the model to match the mesh. That is my view.

By the way, I think this guy is an utter genius. Bewildering scope, and beguiling mesh work too.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes, if his talents extend to deft wielding of an Iwata HP airbrush, we are in for a treat. But he'll probably surprise us and do something crazy like coat the thing with photosensitive paint and then expose it in a darkroom to real images of the Enterprise model, fix it and hey presto a finished paint job.

Come to think of it, maybe I should try that one myself!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
starseeker said:
But if that kind of madness is attractive, still a note of caution: while there's much obviously wrong with the kit (see the thread above to the inaccuracies link) some of his fixes (the panel lines on the saucer) have so far only shown up on his site and to my knowledge have never been confirmed by anyone.
I've actually seen another source that claimed to have made direct measurements with the model and came up with similar panel lines.

·
Registered
382 Posts
. . . . and...the measurements are....?

Now I'm really curious of the measurements and will not rest until I have the ship mapped out - grrrrr.

As far as credibility of the fesarius fixes.... I don't think they should be set aside just because he is the only one (or one of two) to point out the flaw. The more stuff that gets brought to light the better ... even to prove it wrong.... but let's prove it one way or another. Maybe someone with the ambition could actually set up a site with detailed measurements of the ship (with the proof to back the numbers up). I'm sure it would be a popular site . . .

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
As for mapping the panel lines, you could take a pair of dividers and start here. The width of the top view should be about 205 mm, and of the bottom about 200mm. Of course you can't use just one photo to determine anything, given the zillion different things that can distort a photo, and in some pretty amazing ways, but if you check enough of them (and surprisingly there aren't that many photos of the top and bottom of the primary hull that are useful) I'm pretty sure you'll find as I did that the ILM Refits panel lines are awful close to the PL kits. The one assumption you have to make is that ILM spaced the panel lines evenly, not randomly. And that is borne out with enough photos from various angles to make it a safe bet. Once you find several lines of even spacings you can work with, just enlarge the lines to the proper radius and measure. Once you've confirmed your measurements three or four times from three or 4 photos, you've really confirmed your measurements. Not just taken someone else's word for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts