Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This e-mail arrived today in my box. It pretty much sums up all of the comments and questions people have been e-mailing me daily about.

"I recently saw on starshipmodeler.com that the new ENTERPRISE model kit will not be released until January but when I called Polar Lights the customer service department said that it was still slated to be released in November, what gives? . . . . Will the production version have the detailed hanger/cargo deck as seen in your prototype pics, please say it will? I will close by saying thank you for designing this kit it truly is the best ENTERPRISE model kit ever designed."

Thank you, Adam!

To deter similar questions yet to be emailed to me I'll address these questions here.

I understand that very recently there was "news" posted on that website possibly based solely on unsubstantiated rumor started by a fan website 'newsletter'. To date and to my knowledge, Polar Lights, Playing Mantis, nor RC2 have made any sort of official product announcement recently on the status of currently announced kits, nor have they announced product schedules for the next year. At this point, this 'news' is unconfirmed rumor, nothing more.

To my knowledge, the Refit kit is currently being tooled from the master which I last proofed including all of the interior parts as shown. The kit is also currently on the schedule known to myself and the brand manager right from the start.

Lastly, please understand I have nothing to do with the release schedule of this and other kits, the availability and status of this and other kits, or where you should go to buy this and other kits! I am as anxious as the next guy to finally be able to see this thing available! It's definately been a long time coming!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Make mine kettle corn, please!! And bring on the refit!! Boy, I hope it's not delayed til January, cuz I'm sure I'm gonna be done with the 150 unfinished kits in the closet by November and I'm just gonna lose my mind if I don't have this kit next month!!

Boy...I say, boy....that there is 'sarcasm', boy. Ya get it?

Wayne

·
Registered
48 Posts
Previews magazine always puts a availability release date several weeks if not months behind an actual release date of an item. i'm guessing this came from there or another comic shop or specialty shop release sheet.
i am very hopeful this will make a November-December release. PL should really get this thing out well before Christmas to capitalize on a Holiday buying time of year. if the test shots come out fine this month and not much has to be altered in China we could see a late November release! (just my wishful thinking, of course!) :tongue:
anyway shouldn't the box and decals be printed and done before the thing goes into production? surely that stage is coming very soon i would hope!

the wait for this is EXCRUTIATING!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The box art is done. The decal negative files were created several months back and are planned to be reworked to fine tune them to the actual kit when I receive test shots. That is due to happen this month.

This kit is being tooled now. However I will say that was the finest, cleanest, tightest fitting mockups I have ever seen. It looked like a finished model kit, already primered. It was very nice!

Based on our past experience, after the final test shot is approved for production, the kit becomes available for public consumption at about six weeks after that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
thanks so much Thomas. please be sure to give us the word as soon as the test shots are in.....what a great day that will be. after reading everything on this group about all the details and features of this model i will say this already ranks as one of the top if not THE TOP sci-fi kit ever executed. i am sure it will sell better than anything Polar Lights has ever done. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Polar Lights and Star Trek

I just wish Polar Lights had the Star Trek franchies,30 years ago.We would most Likely have some awsome models by now.Ive been a diehard fan of Trek since i was in diapers,And im almost as old as Trek itself.I just hope that they keep the contract,because ive built every kit they have done for Trek,And the detail and craftsmanship,of these models is.......Unsupassed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
:)
STnut33 said:
I just wish Polar Lights had the Star Trek franchies,30 years ago.We would most Likely have some awsome models by now.Ive been a diehard fan of Trek since i was in diapers,And im almost as old as Trek itself.I just hope that they keep the contract,because ive built every kit they have done for Trek,And the detail and craftsmanship,of these models is.......Unsupassed.I would also like to See that 1/350 scale 1701,especially when i park it beside the 1/350 scale refit.It will be nice to compare the two,side by side,in the same scale.Keep up the good work Polar lights,Im hooked.

·
Registered
547 Posts
STnut33 said:
"I just wish Polar Lights had the Star Trek franchies,30 years ago.We would most Likely have some awsome models by now." ... " the detail and craftsmanship,of these models is.......Unsupassed.
Truer words have never been spoken!

Trek Ace said:
That'll be true, until the 1/350 TOS 1701 is released!
I just hope that a 1:350 TOS Enterprise is alot more than idle speculation on our parts. Has anyone seen anything "official" yet? It seems a logical step, but the logical path is not always the one that is chosen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was just sitting here,Drooling over the rifit pictures,This thing is really something,Esecially with all that interior detail.And the size is just mindboggleing.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,342 Posts
mactrek said:
Truer words have never been spoken!

I just hope that a 1:350 TOS Enterprise is alot more than idle speculation on our parts. Has anyone seen anything "official" yet? It seems a logical step, but the logical path is not always the one that is chosen.
Nope. Nothing official. Far as we know, they've made no decisions past the 2005 releases to be announced this month.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
An original 1701 in 1/350 scale occupies the #1 slot on my own wish-list for a mass-market kit release. While I would do hand-springs if this was announced for this coming year, I really do think that marketing-wise, it would make good sense to release this kit (and maybe a D7, too) in 2006 for the 40th anniversary of the original series.

I just sincerely hope that is PL's marketing strategy as well - if there is anyone still left there, listening.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Open letter to Thomas Sasser:

Very nice work. Dare I say, inspiring. I would hope that I can put such detail and quality into my own work. Surely, anyone who can do such a thing would be the one to make the company a brilliant reputation, expanding even upon the well-deserved reputation such companies may already have.

Well done, indeed.

Hal Bierman, model builder, Estes-Cox Co.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Question for Thomas (and please forgive me if this has been asked before): What were your choices for the releases of Star Trek kits? Has it followed pretty much what you wanted or did you want different choices? And more importantly, what are you plugging for now?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you, Rogue! It is much appreciated.

Norge, the final kit decisions were made by the product manager, Dave Metzner. I was asked for input on potential subjects and there were a couple that came close to being developed, but lost to other kit ideas. No I won't say what designs ultimately replaced what.

Since the product line is now being managaed by another company, I have not been asked for product suggestions recently.

Myself, I would very much like to see a 1:1 'Exploration Set', molded in black with silver and brass colored brushed plated parts along with colored clear parts. A snap kit which would require no finishing by the modeler. (Real modelers would have to paint them of course!)

I would also very much like to see a 1/1000 scale K-7 to complete a diorama scene with the 1701 and Klingon.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,342 Posts
Who can I write to to tell them they should listen to you?

They need to realize that someone "in the community" like you would know what we want.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts