Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I built a PL Refit a year ago, I was never happy with the way it came out, so I decided to tear it apart and rebuild it.

Here's what I got so far, did this today. http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s306/jmf1964/Refit%20Rebuild/

Going is a little slow as I am splitting time between this and another refit I'm building.

Some of the pics are a little fuzzy, I'm still learning the new camera.

·
Premium Member
8,334 Posts
Man, not only have you built two, but you're rebuilding one! I've not even opened the box of my PL Refit and you're moving way faster than me.

Good on ya! :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fierce, thats all for now. I'll post more pics when the walls are done.

Griff. I also have a third thats half built, just need to put the saucer on it, and a 4th still in the box.
I want to get at least one more before they dissapear.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Did some more work on the shuttle bay this weekend. I added som observation windows and built stalls for the workbees, and did some painting.

I have to wait for the basement to dry out before I can do any more .

·
Premium Member
8,334 Posts
The workbees would be those yellow things. We're seeing the back of them as they're parked in the stalls that he scratchbuilt.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Looking nice so far.. but…..

Have you ever considered masking the observation/control room windows so they have a more… square profile… and do not look so hand painted? Referring to this: http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s306/jmf1964/Refit%20Rebuild/?action=view&current=HPIM0081.jpg

I assure you it will look 100% better if they all have a more regular appearance.
Mine is not perfect too but still….
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/attachment.php?attachmentid=34566

I don’t want to criticise you.. just giving a tip on how to make it better

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The masking tape pulled up some of the paint, I'll fix it once the paint is fully cured.

I really can't call this a practice run as I've already built 3 of them, but I'm using this to try and learn other stuff like seams and scratchbuilding, both are a complete mystery, and finishing. It won't break my heart if it does not come out totaly perfect.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Griffworks said:
Man, not only have you built two, but you're rebuilding one! I've not even opened the box of my PL Refit and you're moving way faster than me.

Good on ya! :)

ahh, my bad. I know they are yellow but thats about it.

G

·
We've all ridden the learning curve of the clearing up seams, painting, finishing, scratchbuilding and so on John, many times and so will you. I still take a spin on the learning curve train meself and i've been at this lark for over 3 decades.

Practise is a great thing and your getting it in where you can on one of your refits so good on ya!

Keep going and go easy in the process :thumbsup:

Raytheon

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the encouragement guys, every little bit helps.

Looks good Garboron, did you use the photo etched details in there? I'm going to be buying that sheet next week.

I reworked the bay walls, added some railings and decals, and slapped a couple shuttles in there for effect.

I'll be lighting the side windows externally, hopefully that will add more light inside.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts