Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could we somehow make a compilation of tons of reference pictures and make it the most comprehensive reference library on the interweb?

Sources would have to be cited I'm sure but I think it could be done.

Also, the question has been asked whether reference material could be subject to copyright. Is it that the picture should be uses like a home video, for private use only and not to be republished in any medium but can be shared freely by those wishing to use the reference?

I mean, if I took a photo of the original Enterprise filming miniature, I'd personally want to share it with everyone. I can't imagine why someone would want to keep the image for themselves.

If someone wanted to turn around and make that image into a for-profit image, I might take issue with it

I just think it would be really swell if there was a site for one-stop shopping for reference images.

·
Registered
73 Posts
could we somehow make a compilation of tons of reference pictures and make it the most comprehensive reference library on the interweb?

Sources would have to be cited I'm sure but I think it could be done.

Also, the question has been asked whether reference material could be subject to copyright. Is it that the picture should be uses like a home video, for private use only and not to be republished in any medium but can be shared freely by those wishing to use the reference?

I mean, if I took a photo of the original Enterprise filming miniature, I'd personally want to share it with everyone. I can't imagine why someone would want to keep the image for themselves.

If someone wanted to turn around and make that image into a for-profit image, I might take issue with it

I just think it would be really swell if there was a site for one-stop shopping for reference images.
I agree 100% with you!!!!

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the time, not the means.

If anyone knows of a free site where they don't resize the uploaded image and can hold a few gigs, let me know.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
i am pretty sure that any image of the enterprise (or any other movie/tv vehicle) is subject to copyright restrictions, whether they are distributed for profit or not.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
If there were a way to state or ensure that the copyrighted / screengrabbed images were used / presented for "academic" purposes only (i.e. research), I think that might be OK copyright-wise. However, each copyright holder has their own interpretation which would then have to be untangled with their lawyers when they send the C&D notice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Copyrights and reference material

I think all this copyright laws talk is a cop-out there is all sorts of material on the web all of which could be viewed as illegal. To much worry over nothing in my opinion! Just more fear of BIG BROTHER watching. There are laws that protect the people too! So lets never share anything because we could be violating something that we are not sure we were in violation ( sounds kinda silly doesn't it?). Just more excuses. The topic is sharing and gathering reference
not lets-kill-the-thread-before-it-goes-anywhere. You can tell Im a little tired of hearing this same-song-and-dance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
"A picture here, a picture there" is one thing - pulling them all together into a single reference library is quite another.
And the excuses continues I rest my case your honor! Well are we going to figure out a way of sharing information or just tell each other " hey I got these awesome pictures that even the government doesn't even have but you know
I cant really show you because I made a promise to a friend (who spreads to all his friends etc. etc. etc. ) and I dont want to violate our friendship because of these really AWESOME pictures blah,blah,blah ". The nonsense is enough
to give you a migrane headache!

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so, no?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Lets get the ball a rolling!!!!

Tell me Magesblood what are you looking for and ill see what I can come up with! One possible way is to start a thread listing what your looking for and than others can respond to you by email to fiqure out how to transfer information to each other!!! I have sent pictures to other people this way compressed where they are not reduced in size. Another way is sending a DVD through the mail that I believe you mentioned before! Im not sure if we will get the information we are looking for because the PROS want to hold onto everything and take it to the grave.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dunno. Just a site with sci-fi looking buttons each with the category of what reference universe it is, y'know?

yeah, I'm guessing input at this stage would be good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone. I've been lurking for years and this may be my first post. I'd be willing to purchase a URL, set up a website, and host it if others can supply the reference images. Images could be emailed to me or I could set up access for others to upload images. It wouldn't be a problem to have multiple resolution versions of each image by category.

I'm a graphic designer and web designer with a dedicated server so I have the knowledge and tools available. I can't see bandwidth ever becoming an issue. Up front I'd want everyone to know that I'd plan on adding a few Google and affiliate ads similar to what you see here on HobbyTalk to help recover costs.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes but if you're interested I'm ready to jump in.

Best,
Michael

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I still have a few blank DVDs, I can send you one with 1.20 GB of references on it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There is hope after all!!!

Hello everyone. I've been lurking for years and this may be my first post. I'd be willing to purchase a URL, set up a website, and host it if others can supply the reference images. Images could be emailed to me or I could set up access for others to upload images. It wouldn't be a problem to have multiple resolution versions of each image by category.

I'm a graphic designer and web designer with a dedicated server so I have the knowledge and tools available. I can't see bandwidth ever becoming an issue. Up front I'd want everyone to know that I'd plan on adding a few Google and affiliate ads similar to what you see here on HobbyTalk to help recover costs.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes but if you're interested I'm ready to jump in.

Best,
Michael
Im interested just give us the details!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll get started on researching available URLs. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

It will take about a week to get it all set up (evenings and weekends). If anyone has reference images they want to contribute please contact me. Once people start contributing images please include the source and a complete description of each image when possible. Does someone want to start a category list as part of this thread?

I'll keep everyone posted on progress. I think we can build a reference site that's a valuable and easy to use tool for all of us (and it'll be cool too).

Best,
Michael

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have access to several web servers that do not restrict web site sizes. You can put as much on them as you want. The catch is they are not free. Prices range from $5 to $10 per month ($60 to $120 per year). Domain names cost about $10 to $15 per year.

The advantage is no ads. Second advantage - band width is not as big of a deal.

I am becoming very adapt at database programming. If you use a database to sort the files it would work for organizing and setting the site up. I would be willing to help set up the site too.

The more expensive site I list above has much better database access and better customer support than the cheaper one. I know it has been said before, but you get what you pay for.

I guess my suggestion brings up the question: if a few of us web programmers get together and do the site, would some model builders be willing to make donations to help pay for the site? We could also provide links to people who donate to the site as an incentive.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts