Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been perusing ebay, like I have before... and just not running into the deals I used to get, even 5 or 6 months ago.
Especially the original 16. I have posted before about jumping into redline's 4 or 5 years ago... maybe even 6... and was able to acquire all 16 originals, went on to the 2nd year and got 1 each of every one of those too.... and with some obvious exceptions, was paying an average of less than $10 per car.

I was still finding prices like this up to about 5 or 6 months ago, and now, even with patience just not seeing it. Yer gonna pay like at least, 20 bucks and up for sweet 16 models that are displayable .

This is my latest find and surprised I found them. Both on 1 auction, won for $14, free shipping. Decent wheels and they actually have the windshields... which are usually missing. Chipped paint, but goes with an original yellow one I already have, from 71

I'm thinking positive tho, just means my collection is going up in value... and redline's are my wheel-house now

·
Administrator
49,864 Posts
Hope that the market value holds for you, but I think it is just a blip due to it being the 50th Anniversary and increased media coverage. I think it might hold though as less castings will be available after the 50th memories subside and people hold on to them and the market volumn decreases. :cheers2:

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still out here looking. No change. Redlines that I had been getting as late as last year for 8 to 15 bucks are going between 20 and 30

Just using patience. Nothing since that June post....Just finally found a decent TNT Bird for 15 free shipping

It's OK. I can wait.

Targeting the last couple first year cars 'Sweet 16' models that I need as either HK or US... so that I can have a full set of both.

(US Camaro, US Barracuda, HK Corvette, US Firebird, US Mustang and US T Bird... and all I ask is that all these have hoods that are not torn off! :p)

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
I agree on the vintage redlines, the deals aren't out there like they used to be...even the newer series is getting up there in price carded.

I've been buying up the Classic's series since they have the look and spectra flame paint and can be had at reasonable prices. The next to hoard for future value in the future.

Pricing on the sweet 16 carded with crappy, bent and soft corner cards is insane.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still hunting. Still seeing the prices going up.

Still using patience.. am down to one more US model to complete the Sweet 16 in both HK and US!

last snag was a US Camaro that I had to get in a lot with 2 other redlines. Will probably sell off the other 2

The one left is a US Mustang.... take a look at this example of what you have to deal with, waiting for the right deal...

I mean, this is only half a car!

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Updating this post. I think I may have posted this on the regular board, but I was finally able to catch a good price on the last car needed, a US Mustang and now have a compete set, 1 of each model, in HK and US, of the 1st 16

I also realized, after having much fun hunting these things.... and not having to deal with going to store after store, scalpers and hoarders. Just dealing with online stuff, maybe an occasional antique/resale shop, and redline friends on line and in real life.... I have over 80 original redlines now!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm new to the game of buying these now, but, yes, if you take your time looking, there still are some deals. Keep in mind too that, alot of people that were finding these at flea markets and yard sales and flipping them are probably not finding as much due to COVID and less opportunities to find things in the wild.

I'm also happy to have learned, even at my age, that these cars originally came with a button/badge. I've picked up a few of those to go with my cars, as they will only continue to make your current cars more valuable!

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, there are... maybe not as cheap as before, but with patience you can find them

I consider myself an expert on ebay, have been active on it since 2000. I enjoy perusing the redlines there and marking/watching some, seeing what they go for and sometimes snagging some good deals.

This pic is what I have collected, well most, since I went heavy into redlines like 8 years ago. 1 example of every car from the first year, and the second year, complete with buttons. Most I have paid is $99 for a Classic Cord and $66 for a Custom Charger... 2 of the more expensive models to find.

Textile Publication Retail Convenience food Poster

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well.... looks like redline prices have snuck up on me again. Still enjoy perusing eBay for redlines, but now can't find much under $20 anymore... had to change my max price range search to like 25-30. Maybe it's just because I already have much of what I want, but even in lower end redlines, prices are climbing.

Here's another pic, just for posting, not too much update, but it's almost like one of those 'find the differences' pics :p

Textile Retail Food Convenience food Aluminum can

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm curious to know if unrestored cars will continue to increase in value as well. I have a Mighty Maverick that has the remainder of the rear spoiler still on it, but the end of the "wing" has broken off (it was like that when I got it). I do not want to mess with it since it is original, and the tail wing is actually connected to the interior. I'm hoping that it will continue to increase in value, even if maybe not at the rate that mint ones will.

·
Administrator
49,864 Posts
They have all increased in value over time - even just the pieces of them are getting harder to find and cost more each year now. More replacement parts are becoming available as well so you really have to know your castings well or the seller with a minty fresh one that is up for sale.

·
Administrator
49,864 Posts
Way over priced. Check to make sure it is not $9.95 though.... and only offer $5.00 to start with..

You can also get replacement windshields now as well from 2nd Chance Redlines..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts