Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity to sit down with another local collector and was given a chance to view his redline collection. I want to start getting into the redline stuff and away from the newer stuff. Looking for some info on where people buy them, right now I have just been looking on the TTP and EBay. Also wondered about grading and what people look for in particular about making sure you are getting the originals and not reproductions. Also if anyone has cars they are looking to part with please let me know. Not looking to spend big money.
Thanks!

·
Registered
396 Posts
As a big redline collector of almost 20 years, I do like its been said on here time after time and that is "Buy what you like"....period! If your new to buying original redlines and dont want to be "Had" on a fake/reproduction, then I suggest you buy in person until you get familiar with original redlines. I have purchased many redlines on the bay for great prices but thats because I know what to look for and what questions to ask. As far as whats a "Good" price, Dont let someone decide for you, Learn to buy what you like because everyones taste is different. Therefore you will feel good about your purchase and thats all that really matters, Happy hunting... :)

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I agree with Pony

IMHO, I would stop looking on TTP & eBay as you will be had sooner or later as many can be fakes on both sites.

You first have to know between a Vintage Redline to a 25th Anniversary Redline to a 40th Anniversary Redline to a RLC Redline to a Original 68-77 Redline and of course the crappy 5sp Walmart Exclusive Redline.

You are best to do your research as not many people today will help you in knowing what to look for in a true Original 68-77 Redline as many are out their still looking for that certain one or just looking to buy low and resell high. When I am out looking for Redlines I personally like to hold the Redlines in my hands and look at it from all angles. If a person will not let me look at their loose Redline in my hands, I then will move on as that person isn't ready to let it go or something may be very fishy that I may see in why they wont let me touch it.

Just do your research and you will eventually catch on in knowing what to look for. Once you catch on you will see a fake from a mile away or a re-pop.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks for the info guys, my problem is locally there is only one guy that sells redlines and he is pretty pushy and from what I understand fairly high price wise. I don't really intend on starting buying anything really expensive and really do just want to buy what I like. For whatever reason that seems to be exposed engines, red baron, paddy wagon etc. I have been reading about the 442 and beachbomb counterfeits but is it naive of me to think it doesn't happen at least not as regularly with other redlines? Do you guys buy off eBay or TTP at all? Do you have trusted sellers you use? I really appreciate the help!!!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I wouldn't trust online purchases, especially something that is a high dollar item as Redlines. Go too Diecast Shows or Swap Meets - Flea Markets - Antique Stores as you can touch them and use your own judgement in what you would like to pay for the Car. Pictures that you see on eBay or any other sites can be adjusted / fixed to make the Car look better than it is. If the Car is in hand you can use your own judgement in the condition. Do not let photos be your judgement. For your question about other Redlines being fixed or faked... When it comes too Redlines, anything is possible. Take your time and do not rush into something that you are not sure of in its condition or rarety. DO NOT let the seller push you into the sale as that in my eyes is Red Alert, something is wrong with this Redline if the seller is being so pushy to move it.

Have fun and do your homework first.... Will you make mistakes ??? Yes you are human ..... us Vets make mistakes too.... It happens from time to time :freak:

Happy Hunting :wave:

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Here are the two main people that I deal with on eBay. They are good guys and I've bought 90% of my redlines from them. I agree with some of what the guys have been saying and the possibility of getting burned is there. I haven't, yet. The key word is yet. I haven't because I have done my home work. Ive collected since 1968, not the entire time, just getting back into "Hard Collecting" a couple of years ago. Like the guys said, do your home work and you will do fine. I've included the book that I use when it comes to redlines as well.

dru-god

cowbuc33

1 - 6 of 6 Posts