Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the completion of my Airfix STS-1 build, I've started several submarines, including a pair of Typhoons (from the DML 1:350 kit). One I'm building into a 1:400 Red October (1:400 since the ship in the movie was larger than a stock Typhoon), and the other a real-world Project 941 Akula, with stern modifications.

Here are the photos (pretty old; a lot of progress has been made since these were taken):

http://jtrun.mine.nu/cc/fox/RedOctober01.jpg

Red October, minus conning tower (which was modified with a scratch-built base), and modified dorsal fin, tipped with the towed array dispenser.

http://jtrun.mine.nu/cc/fox/TyphoonStern01.jpg

Shows the stern of the DML Typhoon kit before I started modding it. I cut off either side of the beaver tail, and cut forward, until I reached the leading edge of the dorsal fin. Then..... :

http://jtrun.mine.nu/cc/fox/TyphoonStern02.jpg

... I used forceps to hold the outboard segments together until they dried. Then, I puttied the seams, and beefed up the hull with plastic strips and more putty, to build it outboard. Once this was done, I installed the propeller shrouds (no props, as the six-bladed versions are not accurate to the real-world Typhoon's).

At this point, both boats are fully assembled (need to add ladder rungs to Red October's conning tower, however), and they look great. Along with my other boats, they should produce a decent collection.

Also, this is the first time I've built submarine models. :)

Leet

·
Starship Class
12,005 Posts
Very impressive work! I like the modifications. What do you plan to do about the wrong bladed props?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea at the moment, except perhaps to install the shaft/boss end, with no blades. I'd need a new set of seven-bladed, curved props (which would have to fit inside a 5/8" PVC pipe). I tried trimming the kit's props and test installing them, but they didn't look good. Therefore, out they went.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Project Update

Well, I just got ahold of a digicam, and took some new photos today of my models at their present stage of construction:

http://jtrun.mine.nu/cc/fox/TyphoonRedOctober.jpg

Both DML Typhoons converted into 1:400 Red October and 1:350 Akula Project 941 SSBN. You can see the new conning tower on RO and the repositioned bow planes on the Akula, plus the stern mods.....

http://jtrun.mine.nu/cc/fox/Sterns.jpg

...Which are easier to see here. I still wish I had the skill to make a new set of props for the Akula....

http://jtrun.mine.nu/cc/fox/RedOctober02.jpg

Shot of all three submarines featured in The Hunt for Red October (DML 1:350 Typhoon, Revell 1:400 USS Dallas w/SH-60B, and Maquette 1:400 Alfa class V.K. Konovalov).

You can't see it in the photos, but I've also added a ventral blister to Red October as seen in the movie (the "cheek" blisters are noticeable, though). Once finished, I'll draw the outlines for the caterpillar doors.

Leet

·
Starship Class
12,005 Posts
Very nice work there! :thumbsup:

I like the extensive mods you've done to make the Red October. The other two from the movie look promising as well. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. This is probably the most significant change I've made to a model (even counting the Minicraft 1:144 space shuttle orbiter last year). I spent most of my time before I started building planning how I'd cut up the Akula's stern to modify it for the new shrouds and stabilizers.

I'm still stuck on paint for the RO, however. The only good resource I've found is the website below:

http://www.jetcafe.org/bruce/portfolio/Movies_4/FrameSet.htm

The model was apparently two shades of gray (probably medium and light), and the Konovalov was a medium gray, with a light gray spot painted on the bow. Any ideas?

·
Banned
2,726 Posts
Looks great,makes me want to rethink my work in progress RO.But as I have to move,it will have to wait.The only thing I dont see is the "catapiller" drive doors,or will that come later?just asking. I think the propellers were seven blades,so the way I would do it is to carve one blade and cast them,then make new props.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really did think about adding the open caterpillar apertures (even going as far as installing tubing inside the hull so you could see from one end to the other). Given my eight other sub projects, however, I decided to build the boat with the silent drive shut down. There's also the issue of the pegs inside the hull where the screws fit (two of which were in the bow), and wouldn't have been easy to deal with.

As for the prop blades, the model used in the movie had six (which were variable pitch; you can see this clearly in the descending shot when the aft caterpillar doors are opened). The DML-provided props are close enough in shape, and have the correct number of blades for RO.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I've always loved subs. Simple, minimalistic from the outside, elegant. Yet I never built one. Looking at your builds really inspires me! :) I especially love the Akula conversion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Great Model :) - Bravo.
I'm a subs model enthusiast myself, but I never done a major modification like you. Those modif are just marvelous.

btw, just wondering, if you're aiming for 1/400 subs, why don't use Revel's Typhoon.

Do you have other subs model? really like to have a look at them :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the compliments, guys. I had looked at the Revell 1:400 Typhoon, and decided it wasn't worth the effort. The conning tower was too large, bow was too flattened (instead of the more rounded bulb as seen in the movie) and the stern was grossly inaccurate. The DML Typhoon kit was best, in that it had the right shape and proportions, and it was perfect for 1:400 scale Red October (remember that the RO was ~640-650 feet long, so the 19.2" long Typhoon kit was perfect at that scale).

The majority of my other subs are 1:350, with the exception of the Dallas and Konovalov, which are 1:400, and the 1:230 USS Scorpion (from the Skipjack kit). The others are the 1:350 Ohio, 688(I) vs. Alfa, and K-141 Kursk, along with the Project 941 Akula.

I'm also planning to buy the upcoming DML 1:350 USS Seawolf along with the Trumpeter 1:144 version.

·
Registered
57 Posts
In that case, I can understand your choice of 1/350 DML's Typhoon.
The Kursk is a 1/350 from Zvezda, I suppose? Got this one, open the box and sand some of the puttied parts, but haven't complete it. Somehow I feel the need to detail-up the missile bay, but didn't have a reliable info, it seems wierd to have the bay opened and showing a rather bare inner compartment.

:) - - I first learn the 1/144 Seawolf after reading a news for the upcoming 1/350. I anxiously looks for both. Btw, any news for the Virginia class boat? any known planned plastic model (those resin are waaayyy to expensive).

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only 1:350 Virginia that I know of is the resin kit offered by Yankee Modelworks, at $50 a pop. Looks nice, but I'd like to find something in a more modest price range.

One idea I've had is modifying a DML 1:350 688 class boat into Virginia by cutting the hull in half, adding a 7/16" plug, among other changes (pumpjet propulsor would be a problem, however).

Try http://submarine.id.ru/thumbs/949/index.shtml for details on the Oscar II Project 949A sub, including photos of the open missile hatches. Mine are glued shut, as I didn't see a point to having them displayed. I want mine displayed in normal trim.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Honestly I didn't favor buying resin kit, it's too expensive.
I think it's a great idea to modified the Virginia based on (Hampton) 1/350 DML? but alas, I only bought one that time, maybe for the sake of reducing my hobby expense I intend to recast the DML LA then modified it. But that will required big effort.

For the Oscar class, thanks for the link man, great pic, but seems it's not clear enough to detail-up the inner missile comp. But I think the pic is a valuable resource.

Regarding the Kursk color scheme, do you paint the boat overall black? or it got two tone (black for the upper hull and gray for the lower hull)? Coz I once seen a three color scheme (red for the bow sonar casing).

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The lower hulls on all three of my Russian subs are going to be primer red, with the sonar windows a reddish orange. This is based on further photos at submarine.id.ru, in addition to my own inferences based on their color schemes. I have also seen photos of the Kursk in drydock, following the salvage operation, where she clearly has a reddish-looking lower hull (weathered, obviously).

I do think that some Russian subs were painted black overall, with metallic silver-coated sonar/sensor windows in the bow, but not all of them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Regarding the Kursk, after the salvage operation I've seen some pic taken from the aft, it shows light gray (weathered), but looking at the commisioning pic which taken from directly fore, it shows red - this makes me confuse. But thanks for the info now - I think I'll go with lower Red hull.

The metallic silver-coated is for newer boat? But in K-19:the Widow Maker, the hotel class was painted all black except for sonar window. (I personally think overall black is cool :) )

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, the metallic sonar windows were on the older boats. More modern subs have a reddish orange color instead. Look at this photo of a Delta IV, taken within the past few years:

http://submarine.id.ru/galery/t616.shtml

And an Alfa with the same paint scheme (for some reason, it's in the Akula gallery) :

http://submarine.id.ru/galery/t644.shtml

You can clearly see the color difference between the sensor windows and the rest of the lower hull.

·
Registered
57 Posts
waw :) - great pic. I never seen the pic before, thanks for pointed it man.
Yes the Russian indeed using red for the lower hull. (I've painted my 1/700 Alfa with whole black-dark grey scheme).

Still on the paint scheme, have you heard about USN Subs will be painted in all black scheme?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts