Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last year at sci fi U Mark Youngblut brought a red lathe machining tool. Anyone know what it was called and where you might be able to buy one?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
It's called a Unimat and you used to be able to buy them at Model Expo, but I think they clearenced them..... I would still check there or Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I just googled unimat. Pretty cool machine. Anyone use one and know if it's worth the money? (I saw it for $299.) For that, you can almost buy a good mini-lathe; you can buy a decent full-size wood lathe; you can buy a dedicated disk sander and full size drill press; etc. But having (miniature) capability of all these machines plus a milling machine is appealing.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I picked mine up for $99 and found it to be well worth the money. I also build wooden ship models and this is great for turning masts and yardarms. I also use the little jig saw. I know a few other that have used it to mill and as a drill press. You can definately get $99 worth out of it.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The best price I saw was $169 for the basic model (no mill) and $289 for the 6-in-one version. Is there still some place you can get one for $99?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Look on the web for American Science and Surplus. They are in the Chicago area, and the last time I was in their Geniva store they has Unimats for sale at around $125.00. They have tons of fun things from old German and Russian uniform parts to Jello molds shaped like a brain!

·
Registered
789 Posts
They also sell sheets of MAGtech(?) the stuff they print street signs on. I find it's great to use for "lighting" the windows on ships, also great to use inside the model to reflect light!!!
Scott

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
harborfreight.com has a clone by central machine for $89.99. It's part number 40101. I just got mine, haven't played around with it yet. Seems pretty cool, though. The $89.99 clone looks to be the same thing as the $299 Unimat 1 set.
They also have a $189 version that includes two motors and enough hardware to setup three machines at a time. If I find I really like mine, I'll probably snag another or even the 3-machine-at-once set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts