Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I picked this on up for 9$ shipped. snagged it on "ebay". can any one tell me when it was made? I see some of the early ones come in cherry red and others with the cross on the helmet are a bit darker. could any one tell me the history of this car? thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have always understood it to be the date of production. I have seen several HotWheels that were identical in every way, except one would say 1969 on the bottom, while another might say 1971.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
The date on the bottom is the year the casting was copyrighted in most cases. I beleive that was the first Red Baron produced, so it would've been made in either '69 or '70.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
You can't EVER go by the date on the bottom. For example. the '57 Chevy was first made in 1977. It still said 1977 on the base up until the 90s at least. This one is an original redline from around 1970 or so. The red baron I believe was made for a quite a few years.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
'70, '73, '74, '77, '93, '94, '95, '96, '03. Probably more than that, but that one is a genuine 1970 release.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Also on that RB the poker is still on the helmet that and the RLs do make it an early version congrats on the find :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I thought the full spike was on the original Red Baron, then Mattel changed it to the nub (as seen) because of safety reasons. :confused:

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Quantum said:
I thought the full spike was on the original Red Baron, then Mattel changed it to the nub (as seen) because of safety reasons. :confused:
that is the full spike in that picture, the nub was really a nub and basically just a bump on top of the helmet

·
Registered
66 Posts
slythorne said:
You can't EVER go by the date on the bottom. For example. the '57 Chevy was first made in 1977. It still said 1977 on the base up until the 90s at least. This one is an original redline from around 1970 or so. The red baron I believe was made for a quite a few years.
How do you tell if it is one of the earlier models, then? The spike on the helmet must be one way on the Red Baron, but what HotWheels like the Ice T, or Nitty Gritty Kitty?

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Kirk Stimson said:
How do you tell if it is one of the earlier models, then? The spike on the helmet must be one way on the Red Baron, but what HotWheels like the Ice T, or Nitty Gritty Kitty?
way too many differences on too many different models. Like has been mentioned about the anniversary models from around 1994...they all say "Vintage" on the bases.
For everything else, get the Tomarts Hot Wheels guide available at book stores and many places on-line like Amazon

·
Registered
66 Posts
Pablodragon said:
way too many differences on too many different models. Like has been mentioned about the anniversary models from around 1994...they all say "Vintage" on the bases.
For everything else, get the Tomarts Hot Wheels guide available at book stores and many places on-line like Amazon
Man, that is wild. I never knew it was so confusing, though I did know about the "Vintage" Anniversary Series. Thanks for the info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts