Hobbyist Forums banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Administrator
28,174 Posts
Glad it recovered! No glitch in the wall visible? If it would have stopped you could have had the under construction observation tower and added scaffolding! 👨‍🔧

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Very early beginnings of the drag strip:

That's nearly 25 feet. Enough to make the start lanes, shut down lanes and return lanes. That yellow stuff is "squeeze track. Plan is to replace it once I have confirmed I have enough straight track to do the whole raceway.

Neat thing is 1320 feet (1/4 mile) works out to a smidge over 20 feet at 1/64 scale. That leaves me plenty of room to make the track to scale and still add what I want (IE: burn out box, start lights, run down area, etc) at the start and finish lines....:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
Glad it recovered! No glitch in the wall visible? If it would have stopped you could have had the under construction observation tower and added scaffolding! 👨‍🔧
Nope, no glitch. Worked great! Well, there was a little "blob" from the filament reheating pause, but it was on one of the removable support pieces, so no worries. Even if it were on the wall, I was able to just grab it and snap the "blob" off clean.

So glad I popped a little more $$$ for the newer printer!

Here's what "50%" looks like:

Starting to recognize parts now. You can see the "P" forming on the main tower body...

·
BANNED
8,077 Posts
" Neat thing is 1320 feet (1/4 mile) works out to a smidge over 20 feet at 1/64 scale. "

20.625 feet = 20 feet 7.5 inches.
are you planning on letting off the throttle early?
or negating the return lane by running them off the track?

if you look at some of my earlier threads and posts, I have a tad bit of experience with drag racing in many scales.
the cars are not just going to stop of their own volition, they carry some momentum (kinetic energy) and can be difficult to slow down in time to make a turn.

1000 feet is 15.625 feet 1/64 scale. 15 feet 7.5 inches which would leave ample space to slow the cars previous to the turn for the return lane.

I speak from a point of practicality, I have precisely 24 feet in which to place my 1/64 drag strip and it is currently 1/8 quarter mile.
I have enough room to make it 1000 feet 1/64 scale and I am going to extend it soon.

street racers run 1/8 mile most times.
PRO NHRA classes run 1000 feet.
most other classes in NHRA run 1/4 mile.

so, there is no wrong length, there is only practicality to use parameters that are logical.

looking forward to seeing your drag strip and the pit area you are sure to create.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
" Neat thing is 1320 feet (1/4 mile) works out to a smidge over 20 feet at 1/64 scale. "

20.625 feet = 20 feet 7.5 inches.
are you planning on letting off the throttle early?
or negating the return lane by running them off the track?

if you look at some of my earlier threads and posts, I have a tad bit of experience with drag racing in many scales.
the cars are not just going to stop of their own volition, they carry some momentum (kinetic energy) and can be difficult to slow down in time to make a turn.

1000 feet is 15.625 feet 1/64 scale. 15 feet 7.5 inches which would leave ample space to slow the cars previous to the turn for the return lane.

I speak from a point of practicality, I have precisely 24 feet in which to place my 1/64 drag strip and it is currently 1/8 quarter mile.
I have enough room to make it 1000 feet 1/64 scale and I am going to extend it soon.

street racers run 1/8 mile most times.
PRO NHRA classes run 1000 feet.
most other classes in NHRA run 1/4 mile.

so, there is no wrong length, there is only practicality to use parameters that are logical.

looking forward to seeing your drag strip and the pit area you are sure to create.
All good points. I used to run brackets in my younger years. Our track was 1320, so I’d like to stick to that. A lot of that is because it makes it easy to scale up the times to 1:1, even though there are far more variables to effect times on a 1:1 scale than 1/64.

I’d actually like to build a replica of the track I used to run, especially since its been out of commission since the mid 80’s. Personal nostalgia and all that. Not much left of it now besides a few pieces of cracked and broken asphalt deep in the woods and subdivisions encroaching on it from every direction. Here's a vid from its final years:

The vid is mostly all launches, but you get the idea. Just a small, middle of nowhere strip. But it was all ours.

I used to run 70’s/80’s cars there and for bikes, it was pretty much all 350/400 Yamaha 2 strokes for me. I also raced RD’s at Shubie (Atlantic Motorsports Park or AMP), which is road course stuff.

Here's what's left of "Drag city" from google earth:

As you can see, almost a subdivision now. One thing I will always remember about Drag City was the shut down area. You can't really tell in the aerial photo, but at the end of the pavement was about a 10-15 foot drop. I always had in the back of my mind that I better get it stopped or I was going to have to grow wings.....LOL!

Last I heard, someone had dragged trenches across the asphalt the whole length. Something about vehicles racing there and people with quads being stupid. Oh well, all good things come to an end I guess......

Pretty sure I recognize the name “Al Pink”. If you are who I think you are, you probably know (or at least know of) Allyn and John Armstrong. They live just up the way from me. I've had a "little work" done by them, from time to time......;) you can even see Allyn's Opel in the vid above.

Of course, space limitations will dictate the final format. If it works out to more (or less) than a scale 1/4 mile, it doesn’t really matter to me.

I have a couple ideas for the shutdown lane. I need to get the track up in prototype form before I can work any of it out...

:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Hmmm, looks like I'm going to have to go to a scale 1000' track. I have 23 feet available and if it's a scale 1/4 (20.5') it's just not going to fit right.

scale 1000' (approx 15') leave me with a little less than 8' for start and shut down areas. That will have to do.

Shut down area will be dead track, with the option to make it live after a run in order to use "return road". Probably do 2-3 feet at the start and 4-5 feet at shut down.

May try some rare earth magnets under shut down area, to try and help bleed speed off faster. May also toy with a few ideas for an "arrester cable" or deploying parachutes. I'm not conforming to any governing bodies rules or regs, so I can build the track (and the cars) any way my heart desires!

;)

·
BANNED
8,077 Posts
I am not the Al Pink you refer to.
I am however known throughout the slot drag racing world (yes, internationally).
my moniker came about by my intense like for Pink Floyd (oh by the way this one's PINK) and my name, Allan.
nor am I related to the venerated Ed Pink as has many times been mistaken.
indeed, I have even been invited in some social circles just because I might have been related and no one asked! LOL
in any case, as Popeye says "I yam what I yam !" .

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I am not the Al Pink you refer to.
I am however known throughout the slot drag racing world (yes, internationally).
my moniker came about by my intense like for Pink Floyd (oh by the way this one's PINK) and my name, Allan.
nor am I related to the venerated Ed Pink as has many times been mistaken.
indeed, I have even been invited in some social circles just because I might have been related and no one asked! LOL
in any case, as Popeye says "I yam what I yam !" .
Ah yes, it was Ed Pink I was thinking of....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Started "tree-ing" out the landscape:

It's still very early, but dang: that's going to look so....freaking.... COOL!

Looks a little bit too "wintery" right now though....LOL!

:)

3D printer is still humming along. I now have an "NLOP" tower:

I kind of (and yet didn't) screwed up on the print. You can see on the back of the print bed where there is a observation deck and roof for that. But that big tall square at the front is the observation deck being printed off in one piece. So it seems I printed the top part twice. You see, there were multiple files int eh .STL folder and I printed off what I thought I needed for the race tower. So I printed off two of the same piece.

All is not lost though, I'll just use the second observation deck to make the race tower for the Drag strip. You can actually see the start of the drag strip in the first picture, but it's just the support screwed into the wall right now.

I'm still working on the layout for the drag strip. Looks like I'll have around 4-5 feet for the shutdown area and about 3 feet at the start area. That leaves about 15 1/2+ feet for the strip, just about right for a 1/64 scale 1000' strip (15.6').

I really would have liked to do a scale 1/4 mile, but I only have a total of 23.7 feet, so scale 1000' it is....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Well,drag strip is laid out and I've done a few initial test runs. 15 feet of timed track and 45 inches of shut down. So just a little less than 4 feet of shut down. I'd like to have a scale 1/8 of shut down, but that would be 7 feet and I just don't have that much room. 4-ish feet will have to do.

My "high" magnet cars stop super quick in the shutdown area, with a dead strip installed at the 15' mark. They take about half the available 45" to stop.

My "low" or "no" magnet cars shut down in time, but they need pretty much the full 45", sometimes entering inch or two of the turn around by the time they come to a complete stop.

That's plenty fine for my little HO cars and I don't plan to run anything much faster on my little home layout.

But for a little extra piece of mind, I'll add a soft pad to the wall at the end of the shut down area. Better safe than sorry...;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Had a couple rebuild kits show up yesterday from the UK to rebuild my peugot and vw rally cars. They’re Tomy era cars:

they were bought with the set and were missing the rear axles:

I pullled them apart to the frames, cleaned, lubed and replaced everything that came in the kit.

Dropped ‘em on the drag strip and gave ‘em a couple runs. They’re acrually pretty quick!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
Dunlop tower print "finished":

Still lots of cleanup to do and then paint, but the print itself is pretty close to the finished product.

Started printing out the tunnel entrances:

Can't wing cars through just plain old holes through the styrofoam "mountains"......;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm really impressed with the dedication to detail and craftsmanship you're putting into this racetrack. Shows what a great imagination, coupled with with the right resources and the skill to use them will produce. I'm grateful to be able to witness the creation of a work of art. Please Keep on posting, and thank you for sharing your vision.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts