Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am building up my Gen 3 with a TP 17.5, savox servo, my laps transponder and a Tekin RS. My question is are most running boosters or an additional rec pack since the tekin is not a 1s esc? If I went with a rec pack how long do those 280 mh LiFe packs last? Recharge after every heat?? I had what I thought was a SMC hard case rec pack before that looks like an old futaba receiver but can't find those anymore. Anyone have a line on those now? Or better recommendations as well as what 1s booster work with the Tekin RS?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I like the Life pack. I can get a whole day of racing and practicing on mine and I just recharge it the night before my race. Also, the Life pack is 6.6 volts so it plays well with receivers and servos.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I buy the Dynamite life receiver pack. 220 Mah I believe and right around 15 bucks.

SMC also markets a pack that is very similar to the dynamite.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
I use a 2 cell lipo wired through the internal BEC circuit on the Tekin RS. Life packs are junk. I went through 5 in 3 months. 220mah would last 3 heats plus 2 practice runs. I have been using a 500 mah lipo and it will last about 8 heats. If you need the wiring diagram it is out here on HT. I may have it somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Ken,

Do you know what happened to your life packs? All the ones I have had have been very reliable. I am curious to see why you had such bad luck with them.:(

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Some died during a race some would not take a charge. Most of them lasted one or 2 weekends. I followed recommended charge settings. I only charged at .25 amps with a TP610. I had SMC and Dynamite and even tried Epic. Same issue. Lipos work great as we all have lipo chargers plus the capacity is bigger. SMC had the 450 lipo in the hard case. That worked great until I took a shot in the left front and shorted the pack. I ruined another SMC lipo with my GFX. It seems that the voltage cutoff didn't work on the lower charge rate. Voltage sensing leads were connected to.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I run SMC life packs they have an on off switch and don't need at voltage regulator pluged in to the RX not the esc, Aways charge at 1.5 amps on a lrp touch ,charge them every 3 rounds never a problem.

Jake

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I don't think that messing with an RX pack is worth it for 21.5. Just go with a TQ Cells Booster. Install it, and forget it. It'll run forever without even one charge...

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I have been running boosters for 2 years now. Wont go back to a RX pack. I put plugs on the ESC so I can easily swap the booster or ESC without any extra soldering.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I don't think that messing with an RX pack is worth it for 21.5. Just go with a TQ Cells Booster. Install it, and forget it. It'll run forever without even one charge...
Ditto :thumbsup:Never a problem,install it and be done.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I know booters are the easiest way to go.

I'm faster with a Rec pack.
Run a 1000 2 cell lipo for weight! LOL!

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Spec racing is so close I want 100% of my battery to power the motor. 50-60 mah to run servo, rx and transponder will make a difference. Not much but it may be enough to win.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea I will go with the rec pack then, Thanks David...... I will see if Dawn has it, or maybe I just need to do some more shopping at your pit table!! Trying to get the Gen 3 running for next tuesday.
Thanks Jason

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
You can get that same RX pack from lefthander for 16 bucks just has a smc label not ohp.The new ones are black not green like the pic showes.

Jake

1 - 20 of 20 Posts