Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang, remember back last year when Kenny Kaos hosted a loose custom contest here on the boards. It was a blast for several of us. More of a themed event then a contest, as we did not vote, or declare a "winner". But it gave us a reason to think about castings we might not have looked at, as well as motivation to build.

Well, Kenny is not gone, just a bit busy with a few other things lately, so I though I would throw it out there and see if we had anyone interested in doing it again. Post comments and ideas, and let's see if we come up with a consensus.

Being the first of a new month, I thought It would be a good time to look at it. Here is my initial idea for the April "KK Kustom Korner"...

We pick one casting we all can agree on. A current casting that is easy to find for someone wanting to jump into the fun. Like a current JL casting, say the Pony Power Mustang ( they are hanging EVERYWHERE I stop) or maybe the PP Orange AMX ( same as the Stang'). I would even concede to an occasional HW casting or Greenlight I would love to do GL's but being limited to 3,500 each, not as easy for everyone to find.

We then place a time or deadline for everyone to post their pics.This is after all , an "on-line" contest. We will post submissions under one thread for easy viewing We will have one week to vote, one vote per member. And at the end of the week. A winner will be declared. I will send the winning member a small prize and maybe a certificate. OK, so there is no cash, well, maybe a $5 spot, but this is not about money, it's about having fun! Maybe the winner might want to donate the winning car to the charity auction for AutoFest this year. Just an idea, certainly no obligation.

So there is one idea, what's yours? Let's settle on something in the one week and make the due date the 30th, and we will have the first week of May to vote. As carnut likes to say..."talk among yourselves"!

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Sounds good to me! I just wonder about everyone doing the same car though. It is a great idea to see how each of us would do the same car, but some may have trouble finding that exact one. Around here, there are plenty of the orange AMX, and if it's the red '65 Mustang you're talking about, there's tons of those to. It just may not always be the case though.

Actually, the more I think about it, the better I like it. What better way to get rid of the peg warmers? :thumbsup:
I've changed my mind. Let's all do the same car. Pegwarmer Of The Month Custom Club! :lol:

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea Dadvball, I am kinda' leaning heavy on the same car concept. It would be fun to see how people handled the same piece, all the different interpretations of the same theme.

Let's give it a week to see if there is any real response. It looks like the board may have fractured a little to much since Kenny was hosting the idea. If we get 10 that want to participate, then I say we go for it. But might not even get that much
Let's see how the week plays out.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well guys, 8 days later and only 3 of us. Let's give it one more week and then get started. What are you two thinking? Let's pick a car and be getting ready.

We have so many new guys here ( and that's great) that maybe if they see how it works, they will join in as well. Let me here from you two.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know, you , DadV and Boogie need to look around and tell me what's available where you are. I had mentioned the orange AMX and the Red and white stripe 66' Mustang as good starters ( from this year's Pony Power). As both are around here by the dozens! What do you guys want to do?

Remember, no theme to follow ( like drag, zinger, etc.) just the same casting to start with.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I think the first Custom of the Month we did was a Mustang, although it wasn't limited to a specific year. I'm leaning towards the AMX, but depends on the rest of the players too.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I second the AMX idea. Let's here from everyone. I say we give it till Friday to set it in stone. But the AMX is a great choice.

Here is an offer to those that might not find the casting. There are plenty of these AMX castings hanging around my area. So anyone who can't find one and wants to participate, email or PM me and give me an address. For $6 I will deliver one to your door. I will eat the balance. I just want to see as many as want to participate.

So if it's good with everyone, let's grab the orange AMX casting from the 07' Pony Power line. I will post a new thread with the guidelines. There are really no rules, just an outline of what we are doing, the time frame and the casting offer.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I love Javelins and AMXs! so I will definately be following this thread and can't wait to see what you guys come up with! :thumbsup:

But just an FYI, the new orange Pony Power AMX is actually not an AMX, rather a Javelin SST :p

Still one of my all time favorite real cars though, lol.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JAVELIN!!!! OK, I new something was wrong with my brain! Yes that's the car I was thinking! Let's get started! I will post up the "rules" tonight.

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Great to see this idea brought back. I'll keep an eye out for the results. I love the idea of everyone starting with the same "canvas" and seeing them put their own twists into it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts