Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm kind of new to diecast customizing but I've done 4 cars now and am having fun with it no matter how they turn out. I'm mostly dealing with NASCAR diecast in 1/64. I start with a Winner's Circle car and take it apart, strip off the paint, repaint it, apply my own decals, and reassemble the car. I've been running into an issue though when I reattach the windows of the car. I have been using some 'super glue' to reattach them, but the plastic has been getting foggy and crazed. I've read of model glues that work better for clear plastic but I don't know what I'm looking for or if glue is even a good idea to use on this type of diecast. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Dinger,
Welcome to the HT Customs Board,

If your window assembly is hot originally held in placed by a factory rivet cap then there is no need to glue them in during reassembly.
The interior and base will keep the windows in place.

Mainline HW's have their window assemblies kept in check by their interior's during assembly of the remaining base.

Some Jada and better HW's use a splayed out rivet cap, in the center of the roof, to keep window assemblies tightly in place.
This must be ground away using a high speed cutter.

Super Glue can be used, and is the best choice, to reinsert windows when they have to have this splayed out rivet cap ground away during removal.
Just put a very small amount, much less than a drop, around what is left of the rivet cap. Just a very small amount.
Reinsert the window assembly, being careful not to touch the windows themselves to the glue you've applied, and squeeze together tightly for a minute or so and gently blow across the windows.
Too much glue will spread out to the windows and craze them.

I use this method myself and never fog a window.

--CadillacPat the UnCustomizer--
Keeping the ZING in CustomiZInG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the info. I found the hot world customs page and have been reading up on what info it has. I found in the 'Adhesives' section that Ethyl in super glue is what can cause cloudiness. I might have to buy some JB Kwik or just use some Elmer's for the re attachment as the nascar diecast interior does not support the windows. They are attached with a rivet to the diecast body. I definetly feel like I have a better idea of what to do with my next car. Thanks

·
Registered
799 Posts
Welcome to Hobbytalk dinger! I would try the craft area of your local walmart, alot of adhesives say rt on pckg does not cause fogging and drys clear.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Rubber cement works great. Even if it oozes out around the windows, it is easily rubbed away. It does not foul the finish of paint or glass and if you have a change of heart, it is easily removable for a new repaint. I use it on my custom slot cars all the time.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
The chemicals in super glue react with the clear surface of the windows all the time. I learned this the hard way when I was making model aircraft in 1/72. The glue of choice for this application is regular white glue. It takes a little longer to set but dries invisible if you have a bit too much overflow. If you want the glue to set faster, let the container open for a few weeks. This will let the excess water evaporate from the glue.

White glue was used for this when I replaced the front part of the glass shell:

Gerry :)

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I have used modelers windshield glue. Comes in a small odd shape bottle, not a tube. It's white but dries clear as long as it's spread thinly. I haven't had a problem with it yet.

Welcome to HT! :wave:

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Another rubber cement advocate! :thumbsup: I use this mostly for mock-ups but have used it on windows as well.

White glue suits me best. When it dries it is clear. It does take a few more minutes but the results are consistant and if you screw up and it oozes out water will clean it up if not too bad. If it is then take it off wash it with water and try again.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I use Loctite white acrylic glue in a tube. It drys in about 20 mins to a rubbery consistency and can be peeled off if need be. I use it to anchor windows, and everything else, and have never had a problems with it clouding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts