Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I have been racing pan cars for aprox 15 years now... I have always been taught to run the right rear out from the right front, and either line up the left rear, or make it as close as you can get it.. mainly ive been taught to try to have the rear end at 7 7/8 or as close more or less..

Last night i was finishing my unpacking in my work room.. ( I bought a house 6 month ago).. I found a print out from rc oval about Danny B's blackbook.. I sat down and read a bit of it for the first time..

In there he says you should line up the right rear with the right front, and start with the left rear out. He also says to run the rear axle the same width as the front end.. This would put the rear axle around 7 1/2. Whenever i have made the right rear closer to inline with the RF the car always seems tight..Also when i run a narrower rear it seems to make the car very twitchy..

So my question is how many guys actually use this axle spacing, and what are the effect you have found doing so?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
burbs said:
So my question is how many guys actually use this axle spacing, and what are the effect you have found doing so?
To answer your question I would say just about everyone.

Its true you run your car square but you will have to play with moving weight around to get the balance right for a particular track.

Moving the front or rear wheels in or out with one spacer at a time fine tunes the cars handling going into and coming out of a turn.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I could be wrong as I'm too lazy to measure, but with my KSG I'm pretty sure a rear width of 7 1/2 would eliminate the long diff hub even when the pod is offset (with full width foams). I can't recall seeing too many people running that narrow ever on flat carpet. I usually run more like 8" or even 8.1" with the left rear all the way in.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I use the axle spacing for tuning ALOT. 7 3/4 with caps, 7 7/8's on foams. I fine tune the spacing using 20 thousand shims. When I'm looking for more aggresive turning in I move a shim from the left to the right. When I'm lookin to tighten the car up coming off, I move a shim or 2 from the right to the left. Always keeping the width the same just moving the shims back and forth. Hang the right rear out and watch it turn!!

I'm sure the "Pro's" can explain it better

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
RPM said:
To answer your question I would say just about everyone.
This goes to show, how setups vary, even by region, yet can work well
for those using it.
I don't think I've ever seen a car with the RR lined up with the RF,
and the LR out...

I think one question to ask, Burbs, is how old was that article...
A lot has changed if that happens to be several years old.

Just like in real racing... today, cars are running setups that you
would have laughed at just a few years ago.
"You're running HOW BIG a spring on the RR????" :drunk:
"That'll NEVER work".... 'cept it does...

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
ovalmaster said:
Guys, don't forget when you speak of squaring your front (ex. LF) with your rear (ex. LR) you have to measure from the center of the tires.

Antonio
Never thought of doing that!
I always measure the tires from the outside of rim for width.
I always cut part of LR rim off about 1/4''.

I start running the car square as a neutral baseline setup.

One rule I found is to keep the rear as narrow as possible. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
ovalmaster said:
Guys, don't forget when you speak of squaring your front (ex. LF) with your rear (ex. LR) you have to measure from the center of the tires.

Antonio
Tony...not in our book...(Steve and i)always align or play with the outter edge of LR -vs- LF...easier to adjust...and monitor....

maybe when Danny B. wrote this article things were kind of different...these days...realizing this adjustment would hard to achieve...

play with rear axle spacing for cornering reactions....

see it as you would move the center point where the car is being pushed....move that point towards the right side(of center point)...and the car will pivot more under accelaration...move it to the left...and you'll have a tigher feel out of corner...when we said even on lefts...and slightly out on RR -vs- RF...its because you have there a good startup point...then play with it...

Eric

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
cneyedog said:
Eric, in other words If I understand you correctly .......... the farther to the right either the Rear axle or the relationship of the front end as a whole to the centerline on the chassis is shifted to the right the harder the car will rotate in the corner. correct ?
This is old school!

Not enough steering - Pushing condition

Going into the turn - Move RF in or Move RR out

Exiting the corner - Move LF out or Move LR in.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
I usually start with the rear about 3/8 out from the front on the left and right and go from there. This makes the rear about 8 1/8 wide on my LE car. Usually I end up moving the left front out and the left rear in closer to inline.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Eric is right, things have changed quite a bit in the last 5 or 6 years since i wrote the original BB. The cars are so much faster now that is some of these principals have had to change. Most of my experience back then was with Woods car which did have very narrow rear track widths.

My current KSG cars have just a little over 3/8" RR outside RF and LR is about 1/8" outside LF

1 - 16 of 16 Posts