Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
32,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Based in Hong Kong, Realtoy is a Chinese diecast model maker who entered the diecast world in the early 1980s. They made a variety of diecast cars, buses, motorcycles, race cars, trucks and a Moon buggy ranging from finely detailed castings to those of lesser quality in 1:24, 1:32, 1:40, 1:43 and 1:72 scales, but mostly in the 3" small scale - specifically 1:60 models.

Realtoy's own brand of diecast was known as "Action City" and were available in singles, (2) packs, (5) packs, gift sets and playsets. Their model line up included castings that had previously been seen in Hot Wheels, Majorette, Matchbox, Pioneer, Siku, Soma, Singafund, Tomica, Universal and Welly ranges. The early Realtoy castings were issued with an unidentifiable logo icon (?) that was shared with the Speedrive name. They also made a series called "Kids World" marketed to younger children in the same fashion as Matchbox's "My First Matchbox".

They also were marketed by a variety of companies, including - Chad Valley (UK); Daron (USA); Kroeger Inc (Canada) distributed them from Scarborough Ontario; Nobility (Canada); Toys 'R' Us marketed them as "Fast Lane" and Walmart sold a "Kid Connection" car wash playset.

In the lated 1990s, they introduced their "Real-X" range of 1:72 scale diecasts.

In 2000, Warner Brothers Studio Stores marketed a Realtoy made NASCAR type casting called "Superman Racecar". This model was available as a single blister card with a collector card included with the casting.

Around the middle of 2001, Track Stars Collectibles Pty Ltd Diecast distributed a series of Realtoy made NASCAR Craftsman race trucks and Chevrolet stock cars. These were packaged inside small tin boxes. They were made in conjunction with the Olivine International Trading Limited company.

In 2005, Realtoys became available under their house brand at KayBee Toys in (5) packs. And in Australia, under the brand names of "Hot Devils" and "Track Star Collectibles."

Edocar issed Realtoy made castings branded with the Edocar name. Some of the Realtoy licensed castings were also marketed as Polistil in 2004. And as Corgi branded castings in 2005.

Realtoy also issued a double-decker London bus and an Austin taxi from a series called "Streets of London" in 2005.

Realtoy also made a (4) car playset called "Coll Cars Play-set" to accompany a book called "Super Speeders" published by Silver Dolphin Books of San Diego, California. Each book used the provided castings in various illustrated race settings.

An unspecified relationship with Target is noted but not details provided.

Known Series Names

Action City
Action City Gift Pack

Caltex Promo - 2011, (kown castings)
Ford Explorer - 1:64 scale
Ford F-150 - 1:64 scale
Tanker
Tow Truck

Tesco Fuel Series - 1:60 scale (known castings)
Austin FX4
BMW 6-Series E64
BMW M3 E46 Coupe
BMW X3
BMW X5
Volkswagen T1 Samba

Sourced references -

Realtoy | hobbyDB
Encyclopedia of Small-Scale Diecast Motor Vehicle Manufacturers - Sahakangas, Foster & Weber (2006)

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Info/photos found on the www in 2008.
GlobeGround North America (on their 40th anniversary) gave their employee's a Airport box set as a gift.
No manufacturer on box (Made by Realtoy).

·
Administrator
32,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Earlier this morning, I went back through the listed brand and distribution association for Realtoy - adding or updating those histories in the OP above. I also added the known casting lists to two promotional offerings Realtoy did with Caltex and Tesco. :cheers2:

·
Administrator
32,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the link. I also found a short entry on Daron in the Encylopedia as a distributor to Realtoy, but not referenced from Realtoy's entry. Will need to add them as a seperate thread history based on other WWW sites I also have found. :cheers2:

·
Administrator
32,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I was able to finally trace back to the information point that has always peaked my interest about those 'crude' diecasts. That I pesonally find interesting,but are often dismissed by others to be just copies of others - which they most ofter are not. Yet, also get so much - almost alway negative attention and are reviled or for that by many other collectors at the same time.

IIRC, I first ran across it at Tales of Toy Diecast; a few years ago now, when I first got back into collection diecast and more specifically Corvettes.

Now realizing that many (if not most all) of those same entries made around 2000 to 2002, are the same ones carried forward by Kimmo to his Encyclopedia of Small-Scale Diecast Motor Vehicle Manufacturers - Sahakangas, Foster & Weber published in a book form in 2006. I was able to find all the related entries.

Those words were "Copies of Hot Wheels, Majorette, Matchbox, Siku and Tomica abound." and "However; some tools also share similarities to those from Soma, Universal and Welly. And the specific word was Speedrive.

At the other related entries, Speedrive is generally written about as an unknown, but their logo is accurately described at another entry. And as you have already read here is unrecognizable in this histoy for Realtoy. And most notable none of the entries about these brands are the same!

And, Speedrive also has its own entry....that leaves out Soma as one of the 'See also' reference.

Needless to say that as a certified forensic pyschology investigator -
- I was more than mildly intrigued.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I completely agree with you the opening paragraphs to this thread are misleading.

It reads as though Realtoy have copied even used others dies.

That is simply a nonsense... All too often said in this hobby....

They simply tried to copy real cars...

I have seen most similarities with some Welly casts - i have yet to see a single realtoy that has come from the same die sets as another maker! If it isnt an exact match - its a different die - square pegs do not go in round holes!

Also one of the UKs largest retailers, Tesco used branded Realtoy casts in their own packaging, note the early Tesco cars were often McToy...

I was able to finally trace back to the information point that has always peaked my interest about those 'crude' diecasts. That I pesonally find interesting,but are often dismissed by others to be just copies of others - which they most ofter are not. Yet, also get so much - almost alway negative attention and are reviled or for that by many other collectors at the same time.

IIRC, I first ran across it at Tales of Toy Diecast; a few years ago now, when I first got back into collection diecast and more specifically Corvettes.

Now realizing that many (if not most all) of those same entries made around 2000 to 2002, are the same ones carried forward by Kimmo to his Encyclopedia of Small-Scale Diecast Motor Vehicle Manufacturers - Sahakangas, Foster & Weber published in a book form in 2006. I was able to find all the related entries.

Those words were "Copies of Hot Wheels, Majorette, Matchbox, Siku and Tomica abound." and "However; some tools also share similarities to those from Soma, Universal and Welly. And the specific word was Speedrive.

At the other related entries, Speedrive is generally written about as an unknown, but their logo is accurately described at another entry. And as you have already read here is unrecognizable in this histoy for Realtoy. And most notable none of the entries about these brands are the same!

And, Speedrive also has its own entry....that leaves out Soma as one of the 'See also' reference.

Needless to say that as a certified forensic pyschology investigator -
- I was more than mildly intrigued.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts