Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Yeah, but I just bought I today anyway. I like the casting, and I can always take some acetone to the tampos if I decide they really NEED to go away! I like that it's a Formula instead of the Trans Am that it seems is always being done. The very fact that it IS a Formula, with it's dual snorkel scoops instead of the Trans Am's shaker scoop, could be why the tampo isn't on the hood.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Out of all of Matchbox's efforts to make their releases more "eye-catching," I think this is one of the few that they got right (and I'm not just saying that because I'm a huge Firebird fan). Sure, it's not a realistic paint job for a '71 Firebird, but the tampos and colors aren't too loud, and it's pretty respectful overall. It even reminds me of some of the paint jobs MB gave their Firebird castings in the 80s (even if those had the bird on the hood instead of the doors). Also, Formulas don't have hood birds (unless an owner added one later on).

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks to me like some collectors got excited prematurely. If the Formula never had it on the hood, it seems fine to me.
The formula never did have it at all, that is the point. So to take a hood decal from a trans am, and put it on the door of a formula is exactly why I asked "are there no car guys left at Mattel"

·
Registered
763 Posts
I actually didn't know that the logo was only used on Transam models. I therefore see the annoyance you have for correctness, but I still like it. The version 2 recolor does not have it though. That should be out any time soon in lime gold.

:) :D :p

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I actually didn't know that the logo was only used on Transam models. I therefore see the annoyance you have for correctness, but I still like it. The version 2 recolor does not have it though. That should be out any time soon in lime gold.

:) :D :p
David,

The T/A's were the only model firebird with the screaming chicken standard. You might have been able to order one for the other models, I'm not sure. However, I know they did not put them on the Forumulas because of the hood scoop locations.

I'm glad you like the way it looks, that is what's cool about our hobby is there is something for everyone. I was a MB collector first before spreading out to add other mfgs to my collection. It just pains me to see the MB lineup inching closer to the kiddy tampos, and unrealistic graphics that used to be just on the HW cars. The new, gold, Ford GT is an example for that, I look at those graphics on that particular model and just think...........why???

I'd like to see Mattel try and stay closer to the traditional Matchbox ideas of realistic vehicles. Just MHO

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't mind the Bird so much so I'll leave it be. But to answer your question; no. The children who attended in ABQ (along with Dave who remains a great guy) don't know a thing about cars or collectibles, and have no interest in learning.
Agreed. Look at this list of the 26 new castings for 2013. Not one new American Car. Less than half are even real vehicles.

The rest is all generic non-licensed vehicles that belong in the HW lineup, not MB. This is not good news for us MB purists at all!

1966 A 100 Dodge Truck
VW Type 34 Karman Ghia Convertible
Lamborghini Galardo LP560 A Polizia
Renault Master Ambulance
Fire Tanker (Generic)
European Fire Truck (Generic)
Police Truck (Generic)
Fire Pumper (Generic)
BMW 1M
Range Rover Evoque
Food Truck (Generic)
All Terrain Crane (Generic)
Road Grader
Conventional Cab Truck (Generic)
Mega Dump Truck (Generic)
Hovercraft (Generic)
Submarine (Generic)
4x4 Explorer Vehicle
BMW R1200 GS Motor Bike
International Scout II
Adventure Truck (Generic)
International MXT - MVA
MBX Convertible (Generic)
MBX Sedan (Generic)
MBX Sports Coupe (Generic)

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Yes but how many American cars do you want? With the China, Thailand and Mattel mess going on, I'd still like to think of it as a European if not a British brand. The world really doesn't revolve around Mopar and American muscle, even if Hot Wheels wants you to think so. Fill a 120 car line up with 50 Dodge, 50 Mustangs and the rest Chevys? I'm sure HW, JL and M2 between them cover that sort of market just fine.

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
I've always liked MB's eclectic selection. Cars, trucks and vehicles from all around the world. The generic stuff is hit or miss, and comes down to MB not being given the licensing power they deserve. If Mattel would give them more than a shoestring budget, Matchbox could bring all kinds of real world vehicles to market, that are quite distinct from Hot Wheels offerings... But instead, Matchbox is in the position where they have to fill their lineup with fantasy vehicles, which puts them in direct competition with Hot Wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yes but how many American cars do you want? With the China, Thailand and Mattel mess going on, I'd still like to think of it as a European if not a British brand. The world really doesn't revolve around Mopar and American muscle, even if Hot Wheels wants you to think so. Fill a 120 car line up with 50 Dodge, 50 Mustangs and the rest Chevys? I'm sure HW, JL and M2 between them cover that sort of market just fine.
The answer to your first question is quite simple, I'd like to see every "generic" vehicle replaced with a realistic one..........american, aussie, japanese, british etc.........doesn't matter really. The point of this post was that if mattel wants to turn MB into HW, than just kill the brand and add the generic garbage to the HW lineup..............instead of creating a slow death of MB.

There is no need to rehash the Chevelles, Chargers's Mustangs that have all been long done by everyone, on that we agree. However there are many beautiful & classic American cars that have never been done by MB. Personally, I'd like to see some of the mid/late 60's Aussie Muscle Cars, and some of the 50's, 60's Japanese cars as well. I could provide you a nice list of American cars that I think would enhance the MB brand, and I'd bet you'd agree on some of them.

In the case of next years new casting list, there is no reason not to add a few more, other than pure cost cutting. Otherwise there would be no need for the overwhelming number of generic castings that will end up as "peg warmers" in most retail stores. Specialty stores like ours will only order enough generic models to cover our standing order customers, and not bother to stock any beyond that. It's really a shame to see this happen to MB. It never was, and should never be a "generic vehicle" brand.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've always liked MB's eclectic selection. Cars, trucks and vehicles from all around the world. The generic stuff is hit or miss, and comes down to MB not being given the licensing power they deserve. If Mattel would give them more than a shoestring budget, Matchbox could bring all kinds of real world vehicles to market, that are quite distinct from Hot Wheels offerings... But instead, Matchbox is in the position where they have to fill their lineup with fantasy vehicles, which puts them in direct competition with Hot Wheels.
Exactly. Common sense dictates that there is no need to have two in house brands compete in this space. If they would do as you suggested they'd have two different target markets..........both of which are profitable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts