Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTH is a "Topo" Fuel Altered Dragster?? I'm guessing your proofers are NOT actually "car guys"--much less ever heard of the NHRA?? Totally inexcusable!! Apparently, the Yahoos that are selling them aren't any better--they just pen what they see on the package!!

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Sorry guys, Greenlight is correct on this one. While this may be an unfortunate abbreviation for those unfamiliar with drag racing history, but "Topo" is a common abbreviation for the Fiat Topolino body that dominated the NHRA Fuel Altered class for so many years. Heck, it still does in vintage racing even today. But I understand the confusion as they do historically run "Top Fuel" nitro engines, but Topo is not a misspell in this case as it is not referring to the motor but the body.

My disappointment comes more from the bulky front end suspension GL choose to use for this casting. Not anywhere close to accurate. HW did it in their castings so I know GL could have done it in this one!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Fiat Topolino body that dominated the NHRA Fuel Altered...oh! These?

I never heard that called a Topo. Ha! I also thought it referred to "Top Fuel" nitro engines! My bad! :)

Doug

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
That the ticket!! In fact "Bad Habit" is a wonderful, historical example. I would say this was the most famous of the East Coast AA/FA Fuel Altered's in it's day and one of the fastest in the country running in the high 6's by 1971. So very cool example to grab a pic of.

But now you can really see my frustration with GL over the front suspension.... The real 1:1 is a simple straight axle with coil overs, what they gave us was a thick lump of chassis plate! Hot Wheels did it with their Fuel Altered's... heck, even the main line cheap releases looked a little more proportional than this GL version.

The GL model...

A screen grab from Renato Zarate of the two 100% hot wheels set...

Aaaarrrggggh! While I will buy the GL's and have fun with the customizing (I do love the fact that they did this car at all, I will always be bothered by that Half A front end! If your going to do it, then just do it right. This looks like the designed worked so hard to a point then said, "Meh, that's close enough"!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Greenlight's front end there is a joke. Someone recently said, "Don't like it? Don't BUY it!". Ha! I won't! Simple. But if ya like the damn car, it can be modified, which is what I encourage.

Doug

·
Registered
695 Posts
There's some real hate on here for a $6 casting. Lol. If you want better details, pay more money.
Good point. I just modify. I can't leave anything alone! Ha! But, I have paid $2 for a PERFECT casting, so $6? Well...I have seen the really expensive ones have imperfections too. So, not sure how to reply there.

But c'mon! Is that front end the best Greenlight can do? I've seen their stuff, and it's a step above! This surprises me...

Doug

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
I have paid $2 for a PERFECT casting, so $6? Well...
True, one shouldn't expect miracles of fine detail like a Tomica Limited Vintage for $6, but if a technically accurate casting can be sold for $2, then there is no excuse for $6 cars that are way off, or just sloppy in their execution.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Friends don't let friends keep things stock.
Haa haha! As I said, I can't leave ANYTHING alone! I even drilled out the holes in a SALT SHAKER to make it work better! :freak: Ging ging GING!

Thanks for the encouragement! Not everyone feels that way! I won't mention names, but I got RAILED on for modifying that Dinky School Bus! He said I committed a sacrilege! I can see why he said that. The damn thing was $160 in the box! I was working then, and could afford it. Now? Not so much.

Greenlight has really impressed me, as has Auto World! Nothing is above modifying! NOTHING! That Greenlight Racer NEEDS a front end mod! And I have seen some schweet parts to replace it!

Doug

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Haa haha! As I said, I can't leave ANYTHING alone! I even drilled out the holes in a SALT SHAKER to make to work better! :freak: Ging ging GING!

Thanks for the encouragement! Not everyone feels that way! I won't mention names, but I got RAILED on for modifying that Dinky School Bus! He said I committed a sacrilege! I can see why he said that. The damn thing was $160 in the box! I was working then, and could afford it. Now? Not so much.

Greenlight has really impressed me, as has Auto World! Nothing is above modifying! NOTHING! That Greenlight Racer NEEDS a front end mod! And I have seen some schweet parts to replace it!

Doug
I find the easiest way to deal with that sort of elitism is to return it in spades. What kind of sense of entitlement does someone need to bitch about you improving your own property? Basically it seems to be driven by the sense that others should be forced to accommodate their collecting preferences. If they want to keep one mint and in the package, nice and perfect for the next owner, that's their prerogative; but some folks like to enjoy their property which might include modifying it to suit their preferences or needs.

Then again, I tinker with everything so of course I'm sympathetic. :lol:

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
I'm a Greenlight fan, no secret there. I said that I'd buy this one back when it was first announced; I was pretty excited about it. Then I saw one in the store... Forget about it! That lame attempt at a front suspension is a deal-breaker, and the body isn't all that hot to my eye either. And those wheels...

The 100% Hot Wheels set shows that it's possible to make a decent-looking front suspension for a drag car in this scale and still sell it at a reasonable price. Sure, not priced down with the mainlines, but then I'm not expecting to get cars the quality I've come to expect Greenlight cars at buck-a-car Hot Wheels money either.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm a Greenlight fan, no secret there. I said that I'd buy this one back when it was first announced...That lame attempt at a front suspension is a deal-breaker, and the body isn't all that hot to my eye either. And those wheels...
After having several conversations with some key people, I have drawn a conclusion: These are TOYS first! How fast they race down one of those plastic tracks is the idea. I mean these guys went a little over-the-top:

OK, the track I'm talking about is this:

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1NHKZ...font-b-wheels-b-font-Super-font-b-Track-b.jpg

Your standard Hot Wheels track. Those wide wheels are made to run in those tracks:

They are made of a special plastic, I'm told. So when you see Greenlight, Johnny Lightning and others with wheels like this:

You know this is a racing toy first. I guess I can't fault them for doing this:

The 100% Hot Wheels set shows that it's possible to make a decent-looking front suspension for a drag car in this scale and still sell it at a reasonable price.
True. Although look at the realism on this:

Then compare how well the thing runs on a track to this:

I think I understand...

Doug

1 - 20 of 21 Posts