Hobbyist Forums banner

Readily Available Tire Lathes/Truers?

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  ovalnator 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a new tire lathe. I wanted to get some opinion on the tire truers that are readily available or easy to get. I know everyone has a favorite, but I wanted to hear positives/negatives on what you are currently using. Just wanted to hear what people do and don't like about the tire lathe that they have now or previously owned.

For example, the Integy tire lathe seems to be easy to find, but doesn't come with a 1/10 front tire adapter. You also have to use saw blades as cutters.

#2 ·
Hudy auto: excellent built, excellent motor power, variable cutter speed, overpriced but most likely the better available

3 Racing: Very good machine but hard to get, variable cutter speed, has edger and excellent motor power. very good price for an excellent machine

Ofna: fair machine, no cutter speed

Integy:Good motor power, edger is no on them or optional, variable cutter speed, reliable switches.

Cutters: Carbide Cutter that I sell are hands down the best money spent and will work on any of the above machines. Throws off the MM marks on some but you should be measuring anyway

Arbor: Hudy is without a doubt the best out there. Overpriced but it is true and balanced great

Carbide Trim sticks are also available for edging tires

#3 ·
The Integy Auto Lathe doesnt have the power of the Hudy, but for the money its a nice piece. Cuts straight. I suggest buying either the Hudy or Murdock carbide bit for it. Also the rc4less arbor works great for just about any pan car tire. Even adding the arbor and the carbide blade, its still cheaper than the hudy.
One note of advice keep the buttons clean and blow around the buttons with an air hose. Sometimes after long uses, when the tire dust starts to cake on it, the buttons would stick. blowing it out gets it back on track.

I had the ofna auto and it was a piece of junk. every week something else broke on it.

#5 ·
I just got a Integy v2 and it seems to have enough power. I got the one with the edge cutter/ sander and I wouldn't spend the money unless you will be doing tires of the same width. Like sedan tires. It isn't very easy to move the sanders from, say pancar front to rears. And the cool part is it comes with a case with foam inside! I would get the Murdock carbide cutter, but it does come with extra blades. Their just hacksaw blades cut to the right length.
It is new so I'll have to wait to see how it holds up. If it works as good as the V1 it will be a descent truer. If it has more power, it will be better.

#12 ·
the HUDY arbor is a PITFA for front tires...reguardless of brand.. You really have to muscle the tire on the arbor... I switched from that to a RC4less arbor and have never looked back.. ALSO the RC4less arbor works on all brand tires... My Hudy One would not work on TM rears..

I agree with above on maxmod as well.. those things have so much power its almost dangerous... I regret ever selling my maxmod truer.. :cry:

#13 ·
Having seen and used several different truers, here is my input

AC powered: Maxmods are the ticket, and the Hudy and Cobra units are nice too, but all of them are manual.

DC powered: Hudy def. has the best auto truer, but as Rob said, very overpriced. The integy unit is probably the best for the money, its relatively inexpensive, cuts nice, reliable, variable speed, overall a great unit. As Erock suggested, get a carbide cutter for it and you will be all set. RC4Less makes compatiable arbors for them.

Matt Olmsted
www.redneckrc.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.