Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RCHTA Chicago Hobby Show Report:

The Polar Lights RC2 booth was much more smaller than the PL booth at the Chicago Wizard Comicon. Gone were the PL built-ups and NX-O1 built-up.
But there was the new Captain America Supersized painted built-up that looked very good. The clear water splashes were very impressive and the face looked liked Cap actor Reb Brown.

I talked with RC2's Product Manager Mary Stevens who told me that the Aurora figure kit line would be looked at and inventoried. A lot depended on licensing she said. I highly recommended that Aurora's Gigantic Frankenstein should be next and she said it would be considered. Chances look better. If you want to see one I'd write a letter to RC2, Highways 136 & 20 PO box 500, Dyersville, IA 52040-0500.

I also complimented Dave Metzner's innovations like the Supersize and improved resculpts to Mary Stevens and Art Anderson. If they ever get Wonder Woman, I hope Dave is put in charge of the resculpt as he understands how to fix that kit best.

They also had a 1/18 diecast of KITT with working lights, Steven King's Christine, and the General Lee. There was also a superdeformed Starsky and Hutch Car. The mini Enterprise looked good.

The test shot of the Enterprise refit was not there but Mary said the next Star Trek kit was a snap together. I said I'd like to see a line of more giant kits like the Enterprise TOS and Serenity. She said their new RC2 website will have more updates.

Fan favorites Tom Lowe and Dave Metzner were not there. I was hoping they would autograph my Spider-Man kit. RC2 said Dave was now on a contactual basis with the company and that Tom would be a consultant.

Pioneer Packing had very impressive display stands. And they have a tilting option which made model cars look more impressive. pioneerplastics. com and displaycasesinc.com

There were Tom Daniels diecasts of the Red Baron at another company that looked cool.

Unfortunately I can't go to next years show in LA because Chicago's uncompromising rules forced RCHTA out. So since LA is too far this will be my last report after 8 years. I hope RCHTA returns to Chicago.

I took photos and if the Enterprise refit was there I'd have post them immediately but will do so later. The Captain America and especially the Enterprise refit look the most promising kits from RC2.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
So no news about another 1/350 Trek kit? So much for the K'Tinga rumors, at least for now. But, I suppose, one never knows...

Good to know that the figure modelers have at least some hope of seeing new stuff.

Brad.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
BatToys said:
but Mary said the next Star Trek kit was a snap together
Nothing there said they won't do another 1/350 kit, nor did it say what that kit would or wouldn't be.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
BatToys said:

But there was the new Captain America Supersized painted built-up that looked very good. The clear water splashes were very impressive and the face looked liked Cap actor Reb Brown.
HUH!!??:confused: Now, Polar Lights has done some cool little tweaks on their Superhero re-issues but making the kit look like Reb Brown never would have occured to me. Maybe somebody will do a "Big Wednesday" conversion.:p

·
Registered
255 Posts
I said I'd like to see a line of more giant kits like the Enterprise TOS and Serenity
I second, third, fifth, and 87th Serenity. A lady like that needs the size

And don't forget the figures! Especially the Man They Call Jayne

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Sword of Whedon said:
I second, third, fifth, and 87th Serenity. A lady like that needs the size

And don't forget the figures! Especially the Man They Call Jayne
Alright, a FIREFLY fan. Might get a chance next year when Serenity the movie come out.
I really do hope if not Polar Lights, then somebody will put it out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Dr. Brad said:
So no news about another 1/350 Trek kit? So much for the K'Tinga rumors, at least for now.

Brad.
I wouldn't write that off JUST yet. Remember PL didn't announce the refit until Toy Fair in Feb???uary?

I'm suprised that they didn't say just what the next snap kit IS.

·
Registered
701 Posts
ClubTepes said:
I wouldn't write that off JUST yet. Remember PL didn't announce the refit until Toy Fair in Feb???uary?

I'm suprised that they didn't say just what the next snap kit IS.
Using my illustrious clairvoyant powers, I predict the next snap kit will be....

... KAZON TORPEDO!!!! :)

(running while dodging flying objects)

·
Registered
133 Posts
(hurls stones and spitwads in anger)

Enough with the TNG-era kits, MAKE WITH THE TOS MOVIE KITS! Dear lord, who do we rabid modelers have to KILL to get a bigger Excelsior? No offense to Starcraft's 1/1400 Excelsior, but I want a bigger one. An Excelsior-B class would be nice, too. And a Miranda... 1/1000 snaps wouldn't be bad for a start. Ooh, how about a spacedock from ST:III, IV, V, and VI? 1/350 wouldn't be bad... just insanely huge. 40+ foot tall model, anyone? Jk.

A complete line of Enterprises would be good from Polar Lights, especially in 1/1000 snap or glue. They've got the 1701, soon to have the NX-01, but an A-E would be nice as well. Not everyone has the ability to take advantage of Alliance's rather beautiful Sovereign-class... but I'm picky and want to light mine up, lol. My ertl version is crap. Also on the wishlist (here I go wanting TNG kits when I said I wanted TOS movie kits...) is a nice D'Deridex Warbird, a Vor'cha-class cruiser, a Negh'var class battleship, a Defiant-class, a Constellation-class, and a boatload of others, all conveniently in 1/1000. That'd be rather nice, lol.

But first, placate the rabid modelers (of whom I gleefully belong to) and feed us the 1/350 Refit first... then a 1/350 TOS, then a 1/350 Miranda, K'Tinga, B'Rel, and an Excelsior! jk about the Excelsior... I don't have room to display a model that big.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
BatToys said:

I talked with RC2's Product Manager Mary Stevens who told me that the Aurora figure kit line would be looked at and inventoried. A lot depended on licensing she said. I highly recommended that Aurora's Gigantic Frankenstein should be next and she said it would be considered. Chances look better. If you want to see one I'd write a letter to RC2, Highways 136 & 20 PO box 500, Dyersville, IA 52040-0500.

I hate to sound "negative" but These quotes sound like the STANDARD replies
from the "good ol mainstream " kit companies..and thier comment at the Aurora line being "looked at & inventoried" brings back INFAMOUS memories at what happened with AURORAS Molds when Monogram acquired them in 1977...I hope Im WRONG..but if I'm NOT it feels Science Fiction (aside from Star Trek) and repop or original figure kit wise..it doesnt sound good...

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
well ive got a feeling the sales on the refit is going to push them very strongly in the direction of more trek, science fiction in general, and more 1/350's

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Heck, I'd even take re-pops of the re-pops of the FIGURE kits...I haven't built a model in two years....I'd at LEAST want to see Frankenstein and company on the shelves again...

Besides as a personal note, I sold off my entire model collection on Ebay a few months ago while I was going through a major grief time because my father had died...I kind of want those monsters around again...

·
Registered
34 Posts
That does indeed sound like typical big-business, politically correct, mumbo jumbo.

They know you're interested in AURORA kits, and the Star Trek stuff. Do you really think they'd tell you if they were planning on killing the line? Of course not! They want you to keep buying their stuff. The last thing they want to do is crank off a potential customer.

It's always the sales-marketing folks that run these booths anyway. I'd say consider these lines DEAD.

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Sort of agree with Darth Bill there. I wouldn't put much stock in what the sales people at the booth said. My litmus test will be if RC2 puts a booth at Wonderfest.

However, Bill, considering these lines dead is maybe being a little too pessimistic. Not feeling very well? Probably. Dead? Much too premature.

razorwyre said:
well ive got a feeling the sales on the refit is going to push them very strongly in the direction of more trek, science fiction in general, and more 1/350's
I've no doubt that the 1/350 refit will sell well and make an impression but to think that this kit will have a really big impact on how RC2 does business is being tad unrealistic. The most we can hope for is that RC2 realizes that a) PL has an established catalog of kits that will continue to sell and b) there is an opportunity to produce new Trek kits (and reissue old ones) under the aquired license.

Jim

·
2,690 Posts
My prediction of what will happen when the Refit comes out:
It will sell well.
RC2 sales weasels will rush to re-issue every Trek kit in the AMT vaults, starting with the Kazon Torpedo.
Soft sales of this kit will prove what management has always believed; there is NO market for Trek kits.
The AMT vaults will be resealed, this time managment will hire a shaman to cast a spell of eternal entombment in front of the door.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts