Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any insight into what this means as far as AMT/ERTL plastic models is concerned. It sounds like it is primarily focused on diecast but the wording is a little vague.

"RC2 Reports Lower than Expected 2006 Fourth Quarter and Year-End Preliminary Net Sales; Margins Continue to be Impacted by Increased Die-Cast Product Costs; Company to Focus on Higher Growth Categories; Automotive Collectibles Business Discontinued"

http://rc2.com/investor/financial/2007/Release_Prelim_Q4_06.pdf

·
Oxidation Genius
31,371 Posts
We know two things (there's been much discussion over at Starship Modeler too):
(1) They're cancelling a lot of die cast lines, which has no effect on plastic models.
(2) They've renewed their Star Wars and Star Trek licenses, but haven't said what they're going to DO with them.

So there's still a possibility they may continue to produce what few Trek models they're currently producing, a slim chance they may reissue some old ST and SW models, and a slimmer chance they may still come up with new ones. But they haven't said, and we don't know.

·
Registered
404 Posts
terryr said:
A few years ago weren't they cancelling their plastic to focus on diecast?
No, that was a rumor. Stop feeding the monster. I've seen no evidence that was a truthful statement, especially considering the number of plastic I saw/see in my LHS from them on a continuous basis.

Scottie

·
Registered
131 Posts
I deal daily with a large hobby wholesaler/dealer, the original word was, as of this Monday AMT, Ertl auto diecast and Racing Champions will no longer be in business.

AMT has not been filling orders for stuff that is already released, stock is dwindling, now they are saying they will be filling some orders, the stuff that is in the state of being produced will be released and they have some ongoing obligations with licensing/Model King. After that, AMT is finished, done, see ya later.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
It's clear RC2 just bought these brands for their cash flow, and is now throwing them away, like so many used diapers.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Everything I'm hearing and reading leads me to believe that RC-2 is looking for a buyer for their Plastic kit assets........
I hope that someone who understands those assets and the markets for those products can step up and make the acquisition!

Dave

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Revell-Monogram seems to be the logical choice.Surely some of their kits would interest them.AMT produces good kits.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Dave Metzner said:
Everything I'm hearing and reading leads me to believe that RC-2 is looking for a buyer for their Plastic kit assets........
I hope that someone who understands those assets and the markets for those products can step up and make the acquisition!

Dave
Tom....Tom....are you reading this.....Is it time for "Round Two"? :wave:

·
Oxidation Genius
31,371 Posts
I'm buyin' some extra lottery tickets this week! If PM was only worth $24M when Tom aban --- er, sold it, and the lottery is around $100M ....

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
John P said:
I'm buyin' some extra lottery tickets this week! If PM was only worth $24M when Tom aban --- er, sold it, and the lottery is around $100M ....
And it should be quite a bit under $24M if you're just trying to get the plastic kit business...

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Dave Metzner said:

Dave
I wonder if my step uncle would be interested seeing he's had his owwn fiberglass buisness since 1963.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Who ever decides to jump in better have deep pockets and an exisiting organization with contacts to hobby wholesalers and distributors as well as large direct buying retailers.
Probably need to have some contacts in Bentonville as well.
Also needs to know his way around Hong Kong and the industrial area of China adjacent to HK as that's where production will probably remain!

Not a good opportunity for an investor without experience and contacts in the hobby industry.

Dave

·
Registered
741 Posts
I just don't think I can convince my boss that this is a good opportunity. He has said many times that we are not in the plastic model buisiness. But... look at the composition of many newer Estes kits... hmm?

Contacts in HK and China? Yes
Experience with mass distributors? Yes
Capital to invest? Yes
Contacts in Arkansas? Unlikely.

eh.... I'll mention it to him.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts