Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was very disappointed to learn that the new 69 Cougar is a repopped Racing Champions casting. On top of that, it's not even the Eliminater many of us hoped for, even though the original RC casting was an Eliminater :confused:

I was upset about the Grand National, and furious about slipping the RC 58 Chevy into the Classic Plastic series despite having a perfectly good and far superior JL casting, that just felt like RC2 mocking us to me.

It's your company, I wish you wouldn't do it.

But, if your going to do it, if you must re issue the old RC castings as JL, how about these;
59 Ford truck
65 Ford truck
65 Ford Galaxie
Plymouth Furry (60's model, I forget right now what year)
49 Buick
Packard Carribean
(if anyone has pics of these, help a brother out)
I'm not saying that you should re-issue the RC castings, I for one do not approve, but use the best castings. IMHO, these 6 were the very best RC castings of the bunch.

I swear I'm not trying to bash RC2/LC, if I were, believe me it'd be a much more *colorful* post.

Thoughts? Opinions?

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
stupidsquirrels said:
But, if your going to do it, if you must re issue the old RC castings as JL, how about these;
59 Ford truck
65 Ford truck
65 Ford Galaxie
Plymouth Furry (60's model, I forget right now what year)
49 Buick
Packard Carribean
(if anyone has pics of these, help a brother out)
John, I am quite partial to the '59 Ford F-250 pickup you listed. I've had the black one for a while now and picked up a dark green one at a show back in February (cuz I like that casting). I have the other RC castings you list except the Plymouth. I have some of the '57/'58 Plymouths that Ertl did and an RC version but nothing from the 60's. Wish I could post pics... :(

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Well, I figure they've been reusing all the old RC ideas that I hated in the 90s, like Rock Art and silly license plates, so it's no surprise that they would reuse the cars as well.

·
Registered
981 Posts
John ,

Here ya go .. The Fury you mentioned is a 67' . Packard is a 53'..
Also I threw a few of my other choices for a JL upgrade.. :thumbsup:

Just Hookin a brother up..!!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Sorry, but I won't buy the old RC castings.

They were not serious enough about most of them to make them accurate enough.

The front of the Edsel is a case in point. If you're not going to tool up the Edsel grill accurately, then why bother producing the rest of the car?

Releasing the old Ertl cars as JLs saves me money!!

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DadsCoronet said:
John, I am quite partial to the '59 Ford F-250 pickup you listed. I've had the black one for a while now and picked up a dark green one at a show back in February (cuz I like that casting). I have the other RC castings you list except the Plymouth. I have some of the '57/'58 Plymouths that Ertl did and an RC version but nothing from the 60's. Wish I could post pics... :(
The 57/58 Plymouth is a pretty nice casting, I have a couple of 'em, but I like the JL much better.
The Plymouth Fury is a 67 or 68 (I'll bet Lummox knows :lol: )I've got a red and a green one, it's a 4 door but oddly, I've never seen them do a Police version.

I've never seen a dk green 59 F250, my favorite is the NM state police version.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Steves164 said:
John ,

Here ya go .. The Fury you mentioned is a 67' . Packard is a 53'..
Also I threw a few of my other choices for a JL upgrade.. :thumbsup:

Just Hookin a brother up..!!
Thank you, I'd forgotten about the Hudson, and the Buford is a must have for even the casual Buick fan (I've never seen that red one).
They did do some nice castings, but the quality was inconsistant even on the nicest castings, very few of the RC castings are half as nice as the JLs.
They simply do not stand up to the quality of the vast majority of JL's castings. IMO JL had a lot to do with this line going away. They really don't have a place in the JL line, but since RC2/LC seems intend on cheating an RC casting into the mix now and then, they should at least use thier best castings.

The Cougar is/was not a very good casting, it was the best available at the time (still is I guess), but it's sure as hell not a Johnny Lightning.
A new collecter whose 1st exposure to JL was this Cougar might well decide that JL isn't worthy of thier reputation and move on.

Please understand, for my money, Johnny Lightning is pretty much the only show in town (well not this town, can't find any new ones less than 100 miles away :cry: ), no one else comes close, hell it don't seem like anyone else is trying. It just makes me mad when they do this, I'm not buying the Johnny Lightning name, I'm buying a quality diecast car. To me it's no different to bait and switch, I'm paying the whole price for the quality that I've come to expect from the brand, and recieving a car that comes up short by half.

·
Vacation Needed
7,577 Posts
stupidsquirrels said:
A new collecter whose 1st exposure to JL was this Cougar might well decide that JL isn't worthy of thier reputation and move on.
I find it very unlikely that someone would base their entire opinion on that one car and if they were a fan of Cougars, they'd probably buy it anyway. I don't think this particular Cougar is all that bad. Especially when compared to what Johnny Lightning was making 5-6 years ago. At least it doesn't have the fake chrome coated bumpers which imo is tacky to the extreme. Just my .02 :)

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
they must definately not re-issue the 71 cuda hardtop from RC no matter how bad I talk about wanting one.
That whole casting is a total joke and a waste of metal.
Even HW`s nasty looking cuda`s were better quality and looks and that isn`t saying too much. :freak:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Lovemy71Camaro said:
I find it very unlikely that someone would base their entire opinion on that one car and if they were a fan of Cougars, they'd probably buy it anyway. I don't think this particular Cougar is all that bad. Especially when compared to what Johnny Lightning was making 5-6 years ago. At least it doesn't have the fake chrome coated bumpers which imo is tacky to the extreme. Just my .02 :)
I agree totally...I actually like this casting, especially in the more commonly seen XR7 guise that they have chosen this time. Nice to see a more common car for once instead of the rarely seen Eliminator, that had already been done with this casting. If you need a comparison look at the first 69 Cougar from the 1995 JL release next to this one.....pretty bad....black bumpers and ill proportions, huge wheel openings.....yes, this one is light years ahead of that one and also is better than the 70 convertible JL once did.

·
Registered
779 Posts
With all the nice JL castings, why use the mostly out of whack RC stuff?.
I like some of the RC castings but not enough to mix them in with my JL's.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jimhowie2000 said:
If you need a comparison look at the first 69 Cougar from the 1995 JL release next to this one.....pretty bad....black bumpers and ill proportions, huge wheel openings.....yes, this one is light years ahead of that one and also is better than the 70 convertible JL once did.
I agree on this point for sure.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Lovemy71Camaro said:

Ya you , it isn't that bad once you get rid of those Go-Cart sized wheels and tires. Suddenly ,the proportions match most other JLs as shown here against the 69 Shelby

·
Registered
268 Posts
I Totaly Agree.the Am Cougar Is On Par With Most Jl Castings.i Thought Jl Was Going To Use That Mold When They Announced They Would Be Using And Updating The Ertl Casting.oh Well I Like The Update Of The Other Ertl Casting Too.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Steves164 said:
Ya you , it isn't that bad once you get rid of those Go-Cart sized wheels and tires. Suddenly ,the proportions match most other JLs as shown here against the 69 Shelby
That'a LOT better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts