Hobbyist Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:
After what RC2 announced that they were eliminating Ertl and Racing Champions, well regardless of why they decided to this, I have considered boycotting and avoiding purchasing anything made by Johnny Lightning. It was as if I stepped outside and unexpectedly a wrecking ball came right at me. So please dont take this the wrong way, but if I decide to buy another car from JL, it will be the last one. And I'm gonna do my best to obtain a General Lee. I have no hard feelings, but I'm mad as hell. Hopefully however RC2 wake up and realizes that die cast collectors are just as important as infants and toddlers. Maybe this thread is unnecessary, but I had to say something. I sure hope JL won't become a farce in the die cast industry in any part of the future. Because this is nerve-wrecking.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
traveller426 said:
Hopefully however RC2 wake up and realizes that die cast collectors are just as important as infants and toddlers.
I doubt they are going to wake up and realize something that is not true.

Diecast collectors are clearly not as important to RC2's profit as infants and toddlers. Otherwise they would not have made this decision. RC2 is a business and businesses are in buiness to make money for their shareholders. If they though beefing up their diecast offerings was a better way to improve the bottom line, they would do it in an instant. Think about how many people buy things for toddlers vs. how many collectors buy things. They aren't even the same order of magnitude.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
They have a thread like this that went on over at Joe's Die-cast Shack. Some good info was given out. You might want to check that out before it all starts up again as that thread pretty much takes it all in. Toppers To Today section. They have a sticky on them both and they are great reads. Amazingly well behaved and keeps it all from being beat again over here I think. It's nice in that they have a JL team member who is active that answers questions as well.

I feel your pain but if the price is right and you want it. Don't deprive yourself.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Believe it or not, diecast collectors are a very small part of there income. You have to see it there way. The toy industry is changing, 8-13 Year olds are into video games and Ipods now, not toy cars like we were. If RC2 wants to survive, they have to change, which is what they are doing. Boycotting RC2 will have no affect on them. I will continue to collect JLs, until they go away.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
They are not dropping ERTL, they are discontinuing ERTL diecast cars from what I understand, the tractor side will continue on.

·
Atomic Punk
4,323 Posts
I am forced into a boycot by not seeing any new JL's in my area stores. I hear they are around but I have not seen any in my area.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
cause Robdog ain't here

okay so lets say the glass is half full, ya think a bunch of toy collectors would be a little up beat. Maybe its just me.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
So the JoyRide large scale Foose stuff will all be phased out right? Foose, OCC bikes are all history, 1:18th scale American Muscle right?

Man they really should have had one more 'Fest, sounds like plenty to liquidate. Might be some really killer stuff at bargain prices coming down the road.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
I don`t boycott anything,because even if all collectors boycotted it wouldn`t even make a difference. However I don`t but much anymore because of gas prices and lots of other people don`t either.I`ve been selling diecast since 1997 and traffic and business have dropped about 85%.It`s been declining steadily since 2001.
I also only see 2 cars this year that I want to collect by JL anyways and I already have 1 of them so they want be seeing much money from me unless they start releasing some mopars.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Mark Hosaflook said:
Are you guys getting that aleady? I knew about the buck cars but Joyride, ERTL, etc? WOW! Lucky you guys. Whats the large scale going for?

Well no blow outs but I am seeing a whole wack of larger stuff that I've never seen before, don't pay too much attention to the big boys, so what I saw was like $15.00 , I don't think these are high end though. Didn't mean to get get yer hopes up.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
traveller426 said:
:(
Boy am I pathetic.
:(
Your frustrations are well understood, but unfortunately, as has been previously said, business is business, and unfortunately we don't have much, if any, say in the matter. Keep collecting as long as you can and enjoy it while it lasts. If it comes to it, we may not have new releases, but we'll always have the thousands of current releases.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,828 Posts
Boycotting would be ineffective. You cold never get enough people to go with it and to be honest even if it was effective in preventing JL sales, RC2 would probably just realize that their JL sales are not a big deal anyway. I started collecting JL right when RC2 was taking over so don't remember any good days or hold any type of alliegence. If JL product is available I'll buy it. If not, I won't and GL, Jada, Maisto, and even Mattel will get my business. Either way I plan not to lose any sleep about it anymore. Plan to go buy me a case of the kustom Jada's and get me a Ford Econoline truck and taco Roach Coach wagon this week.

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
traveller426 said:
After what RC2 announced that they were eliminating Ertl and Racing Champions, well regardless of why they decided to this, I have considered boycotting and avoiding purchasing anything made by Johnny Lightning. It was as if I stepped outside and unexpectedly a wrecking ball came right at me. So please dont take this the wrong way, but if I decide to buy another car from JL, it will be the last one. And I'm gonna do my best to obtain a General Lee. I have no hard feelings, but I'm mad as hell. Hopefully however RC2 wake up and realizes that die cast collectors are just as important as infants and toddlers. Maybe this thread is unnecessary, but I had to say something. I sure hope JL won't become a farce in the die cast industry in any part of the future. Because this is nerve-wrecking.
:rolleyes:
I still feel stupid but I'm not mad anymore.
:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.