Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp, now live and running until Thursday, September 23rd! Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was thinking the other day about when I first got On-Line with R/C message boards...

I forget how many years ago it was, but it was at least 10-12 (maybe more)

Most of the guys were on a section of CompuServe

I remember Bob Rule (BoLINK), Donn Rice (FUTABA) the guy from AUTOGRAPHICS decals (Dang I can't think of his name) Bruce maybe...

I Think TRIPLETT was there and a whole lot of other guys...

After the CSi boards kind of went away, it seemed most oval guys went to

"THE CONFERENCE" which became the "R/C CONFERENCE"

That site is kinda sad now, only a handful of people over there, and rarely ever a message.

(if you've never been there is now at www.deccosoftware.com)

There were also the internet NEWS GROUPS - but they were kinda boring!!!

oh...and can't forget about HANK's RCV site, and the ABOUT.COM days either!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Internet technology and communication have come quite a long way. Unfortunately, RC racing and more importantly the oval community as a whole have not followed suite.

I am working on a project now that I think is going to bring that quite up-to-date (see my original thread down below this one).

I have been doing this stuff for a living for close to TEN years now! I was using Twitter and MySpace looonnnnnnggggg before people even knew what it was! I was a beta tester for Twitter for about 2 months before it ever launched to the masses.

I certainly remember the old Prodigy days back where forums and bulletin boards really got their start. When AOL hit the scene along with Windows 3.1 and the 14.4 baud modem, holy crap!!!!! I still have that original PC with 3.1 and the original AOL 1.0 on it to this day. Still has the modem in it.

--Cory

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
It was a free for all back in the Conference days as anyone could sign in under any name and blaze away at manufactors,other racers ,or anything they wanted to flame away at .In some ways the reading is less interesting because ppl have to put their names to post but ,Now days the sites give more information and keep it so I can plan when and where to go race and be able to support other racers tring to learn this hobby .I can tell you I spent to much time laughing at post back then ...Ah the good old days .SRM

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
i used to like the conference but then u had to pay and dont dare say anything that Dave didnt like u would get banned or edited right then

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ROCKET,

I too remember the FREE FOR ALL Days over there (almost like Katf1sh and I's banter sometimes here!)

and then DAVE put the $$$ on to weed out the multiple usernames, and slow down the CHILDISH behavior....

It was a fairly nice but BLAH place for a long time after that!

Back in the days of the Charlie Brown "Good Morning" gang, and others!!

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Joe, I did love Charlie Browns Good Mornings, I raced against his boys and had some real interesting talks with him at the track, back in the day

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hi Joe-
Bruce Wilson owned Autographics. Great guy....we had great competitions in concourse events back in the day. Pudgy was his wife, Kisby's sister.

Back to the internet...I'm not really a computer geek, so I wasn't really into the web early on.....but one thing I don't like and really still can't get used to is the code names. They are fun, and a way to give yourself some personality, but I always wish I knew who I was talking to on forums. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but it's just not the same talking to a cybername instead of a real person. I guess people think they have to hide a little on the internet.

Gary mcallister

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah BRUCE WILSON! He took me and my buddy on a tour of the Graphics Business one day (Since they were right there at RACER'S HAVEN and next to REV-TECH in those days...

(I did not know she's DAVE'S Sister!!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts