Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I saw some Raytheon masks for sale for either the 1/537 or 1/350 Enterprise Refit. Does anyone know where to purchase these?
Or as an alternative what is the best way to do the Raytheon lighting? Another option is that some LEDS may now be strong enough to do the effect without using masks.
So advice is being sought on methods to accomplish this lighting in 537 and 350 scale. Thank you all!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Well, the brighter the lights, the more you need the masking. The good news is that you don't need pre-made masks. Note which areas you want to be lit up and use masking tape or similar to mask off the area. Then spray the entire interior of the saucer with light blocking paint - many prefer to use metallic aluminum followed by gloss black in order to block all light, then a coat of matte white to give an even soft white effect. Remove the masking tape and install the lights in the central area under the B/C deck and above the planetary sensor.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the brighter the lights, the more you need the masking. The good news is that you don't need pre-made masks. Note which areas you want to be lit up and use masking tape or similar to mask off the area. Then spray the entire interior of the saucer with light blocking paint - many prefer to use metallic aluminum followed by gloss black in order to block all light, then a coat of matte white to give an even soft white effect. Remove the masking tape and install the lights in the central area under the B/C deck and above the planetary sensor.

Thank you. Question: So are there LEDS bright enough to do the job rather than masking internally? I have seen great examples of the effect and great attempts (not so good an effect).

·
Registered
351 Posts
You can't get the pools of light you see in the movies with the LEDs alone. You do get something like the correct effect with some of the lights that cast streaks on the neck and warp pylons and the upper and lower saucer lights will cast some reflections, but they won't create the circular/oval shaped pools of light and it's absolutely impossible to get the pools around the engineering hull pennants and in particular the ovals around the hull registry numbers on either side of the rear ends of the warp nacelles--there just aren't any lights positioned to hit those areas. So that has to be done with the raytheon approach. I'm not a huge fan of it myself but I'm doing a commission now and the trekmodeler light kit is designed with the raytheon effect in mind so I have to work with it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think a very nice result can be accomplished by combining spotlights with the “light through plastic“ effect. I can’t take credit for my refit, built by the incomparable model builder Paul Taylor, but I would not be as happy with it if it didn’t use the “Raytheon” effect. In the case of the dorsal and saucer registry lighting, a nice transition between the spotlights and ”Raytheon” lighting creates the illusion that the spotlights are lighting those areas (especially on the saucer underside). Paul even blocked inside the saucer to create simulated long shadows cast by the phaser turrets on the upper and lower saucer registry spotlights.

The “Raytheon” lights can be turned on and off.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts