Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Im interested in hearing opinions regarding the words rarity and desirability. I believe the terms are relative so there really is no incorrect response.

A recent search of eBay finds over 100k auctions in the Diecast & Toy Vehicles category that contain the word Rare. In my mind the majority of these cars are
considered common. Thousands upon tens of thousands of identical cars were produced and still exist today.

I think most Treasure Hunts are desirable on different levels, however they are all common with the exception of the 1995 TH 67 Camaro with the rear wheels
variation. Its a popular model from the first year series limited to 10K (Not including the JC Penny sets). That version is considered a variation and not an error
because a small hand full have been found so its assumed to be intentionally done at the factory.

On the same token, rare does not always translate into desirable. For example, at the current time I only have one car in my collection that I would consider rare.
Its a Mini Dinky Chevy 11 with pre-production light blue paint. The casting itself is difficult to find and so far has only been in maroon.

Thus far its the only example known to exist and was found in a small collection of other Mini Dinky pre-production and prototypes from the UK. In other words,
even though I consider it rare, I might be able to only get 50 cents for it at a garage sale because the level of desirability to others.

That said, I feel desirability among the masses can play a role with how rare a specific model is to find for sale, not always how rare the model is itself.
Another thought, the time frame when a so called rare/desirable car is produced. Was it last week or decades ago ...

So lets hear your thoughts and see some rare and desirable cars!

Cheers
Eric

·
Registered
389 Posts
Dear Eric:

On a situation like this I think that one should know the rare items - based on my experiences on eBay known rare items do attract money and these are the ones which do no show up so often.

Two on my list are the ones who attract high double digit final prices and/or triple digits.As an example:

Hubley Real cars GMC school bus.I been on eBay since 2003 and this one appeared oh,maybe three times.The first I bid on went at $149.00;the second bid had a price of $322.00 (no I would not pay such prices).

The other one is Playart DAF Daffodil.Four times sine 2003 and it went away with prices in excess of $50.00.

The dealer can say rare but is not always the case but at time certain shadow colors - because they are done in very limited number or are an accident - may attract high prices.There many collectors who follow all the color variations.

A long while ago a dealer (owner of a brick and stone store) told me that in terms of desirability just check the Promotional Models (you know,the 1/24 scale ones) and the ones which will command high prices are the desirable ones.That being said,a Promo of a Vega could be get by low prices - if his theory is correct (I am a bit partial to that;and promo models are a disappearing breed).

But hey,I always want to learn.

Nick K

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I think anyone with sense would agree that rareness and desirability are two different things.

If you're tying to sell something very rare but not a generally popular make or model,
one has to hold out until he finds a true brand aficionato of the rare piece.

Great topic!

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,828 Posts
Rarity means nothing unless it is desired. Desired is not dependent on rarity.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Administrator
37,104 Posts
Mrs Fox and I have dabbled in antiques for decades and have found that rare things are desireable, but not everything desireable is rare.

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Mrs Fox and I have dabbled in antiques for decades and have found that rare things are desireable, but not everything desireable is rare.
Some people really get off on rarity, or limited availability, but I say the more the merrier. If everyone could get more of what they love, it would much a much happier world, resell value be damned. I mean, is appreciating value really what we're in this hobby for? Nice if it happens, but it sure isn't what I'm in it for.

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
It has emotional value to me which surpasses the dollar, and is very likely mine alone.
I imagine that's true of many collectors who's friends and family think they're nuts, or are otherwise uninvolved in their passion.

·
Administrator
37,104 Posts
I feel the passion as well and I also like to see what others have collected and learn about the diecast hobby and 1:1 vehicles from what others have posted as well!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts