Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got these screencaps off of one of the ooolllld ST:TMP trailers.... you know... the cheap ones they made before they even had a tenth of the movie finished....

1 is a shot before they composited (for this shot) in the portside of the drydock, eventually covering a lot of the ship (with the little spaceman doing his flipping and waving)

2/3 is an unused shot of the deflector powering up.

Thought some might like to see em.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These were the only shots (of the Enterprise) that I've never seen anywhere else. The trailers themselves are quite bare-bones, few effects shots, not very exciting, cryptic - in the days before developed marketing. Kinda like the original trailers for the original Star Wars trilogy - because effects shots were done last, they used incomplete shots (like pic 1)or shots that ended up being edited out (like pic 2-3) - I remember in one of the Jedi trailers Luke's saber on the sail brage was blue. They changed it to green later because they didn't like how a pale blue saber looked against a pale blue sky!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right. I don't know how many have noticed it though. "Rare" shots because the trailer is the only place to get em. They caught my interest because they were not in the movie.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
DL Matthys said:
Now I ponder on how to pull that FX off electronicly on the PL kit.
A power up on the Deflector circuit.
Can you make a timer circuit for a potentiometer? Or would it maybe have to be a manual potentiometer?

Just guessing here as I don't know a whole lot about electronics....

·
Registered
545 Posts
I belive that alltronics.com have capacitors that gradually discharge. The right pot in line with the circuit might be able to control to amount of current and create the power up or down effect. I could design a circuit to share, but it might be pretty technical. I'll see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I'd like to know if anyone has a circuit that can do the fade in effect of the deflector from off to yellow to blue and for the warp nacelles to fade on as well. Trekmodeler stated with his light kit he would not be able to do it but it would sure be cool if possible.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FYI for those detail sticklers out there, the only times you see the warp engines turn from "off" to "on" is in TMP and IV. In TMP, they literally just switch on maybe one second before the ship is moving in warp (when you see the ship going into warp after picking up spock, and again at the end). In IV it does a horizontal-power-up (streams from front to back). There is no other time where it shows a warp power-up (in all other movies and instances it's just already on by the time we cut to the shot). (correct me if I'm wrong)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I beleive you are quite correct from my recollections. Also, the only time we see the deflector lit anything other than blue is in TMP (and, obviously, the TMP footage that was recycled for TWOK).

·
Registered
545 Posts
Opus Penguin said:
I'd like to know if anyone has a circuit that can do the fade in effect of the deflector from off to yellow to blue and for the warp nacelles to fade on as well. Trekmodeler stated with his light kit he would not be able to do it but it would sure be cool if possible.
If you interrupted the circuit to the dish with an adjustable rheostat (like the volume knob on a stereo for the lay person), you could turn the dish up or down. That would work pretty well. That's at least one idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts