Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on this forum for several weeks now, and I've noticed something different from the other HWS forum that I used to visit on a daily basis. I don't see a thread for when a collector performs a RAOK (random act of kindness) and sends cars to another collector who either can't afford them, can't find them in the stores, or started collecting too late to acquire them. No money changes hands, they just give them away, no questions asked.
I've been very lucky and have received cars from several other collectors around the country. I've also given cars to others all over the US and Canada. It's very cool when you can help out another collector by sending them something that they can't find in the stores, but your retailers have plenty of.
Availability across the US varies a lot from coast to coast, and Canada's retailers don't get the same things that we do either. I've sent a couple of Target red editions to another collector up in Alberta because Target went out of business up there, so they're not available.Same thing with the flying customs.
This isn't a place to brag about how many cars you've given away, it's a place to thank someone when they do this for you. I've gotten some very cool cars in the mail, and I've given away quite a few too. That's why this hobby is so cool, we're all very cool people.
Should we make this thread a permanent thing, or not?

Administrator
It has been more than a few years since we have had one of these. I think it still goes on by PM between a few members but not publicly anymore. But I did sticky it. 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has been more than a few years since we have had one of these. I think it still goes on by PM between a few members but not publicly anymore. But I did sticky it. 馃
That's understandable, the only way I've even gotten to know a few other collectors was via PM, that's how I got in touch with them. I've sent cars to a couple of collectors on the east coast, and one up in Alberta, Canada. We live in N.W. Wash. state, so we cover quite a few miles.
I've had other collectors contact me after they've read my comments on-line and offer me free cars because they had more than they needed or were able to find them where they live. I've also gotten a couple of RLC castings that I've commented on, it's very frickn' cool.
I just shipped a package with 3 newer mainlines in it to another collector in N.H. today. He's a big FORD fan, and I was able to score 3 of them at wally-world earlier this week. He doesn't even know they're coming, I've gotten a couple of surprise packages in the mail also.
It's very cool to help someone when they can't find something when we have access to them. Whether we do it publicly or privately, it feels good to do it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, now it's my turn. I just got a surprise package in the mail from a fellow collector all the way up in Alberta, Canada. It's from a friend that I've made on another HWS forum, his name is Lloyd and he's a fellow MOPAR fan. We've had conversations about things other than HWS in the past few months, and he's a very cool guy.
I've sent him a few cars and trucks, mainly Target exclusives, because they can't get them up there. I still need to find the Nova sw from the last flying customs series, I sent him the rest of the set that I've been able to find.
Today I got a package from him with 4 very cool castings in it, the '70 Challenger from the vintage racing series, and 3 other cars, all RLC releases. He gave me the Batmobile, the gold and white '55 Chevy gasser, and the black '69 Charger RT. The Charger is frickn' cool, the detailing on all of the RLC castings is amazing, they even did the radiator and front sheetmetal on the '55.
What he did for me was a very cool thing to do, and I hope to pay him back in some small way in the future. I just need to find something new in the stores.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's very cool to see how many other collectors have read this thread that I started, but I've noticed that no one else has added anything for several weeks. That's okay, if other collectors don't want to talk about cars that they've received or given away to other collectors, no problem.
The last thing I mentioned was a package I received from a friend up in Alberta, Canada. Shipping anything across the border is insanely expensive, but he did it anyway. I've wanted to pay him back, so I sent him a package a few weeks ago that had 2 HWS cars, 1 M2 casting, and a MB car in it. Needless to say, they were all MOPARS. The cost to ship them up north was almost 3 times what the cars cost, but that's okay, he's sent me a few of his RLC cars, so I'm still coming out ahead.
My luck in finding anything new has been pretty lousy these past few months, but I still keep my eyes out for anything that I know he would like, and he does the same for me. I still think that most HWS collectors are all pretty cool people, and it's still a pretty cool hobby.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know that I'm the one that started this thread several weeks ago, but I was just surprised by my friend and fellow MOPAR fan and collector up in Alberta, Canada. He sent me one of the new purple Dodge vans since I hadn't found one yet, but the package also contained something very cool.
He gave me the 2 Team Transport sets from the "Snake and Mongoose" racing teams because he knew that I can't ever justify paying what they want for them on e-bay. This is a huge deal for me since I've been going to the drags since '73, and I watched these cars in person on the track.
They were both running MOPAR bodies at that time, which is also very cool. I will add these to my collection, and I thanked him for his generosity. He didn't have to do this, but he's a very cool dude and friend. I just hope he likes what's in the package I sent him last week.

Premium Member
This wasn't exactly a Hot Wheels RAOK, so I hope nobody minds that I share it here 馃檭

A couple months ago I was talking to another Hot Wheels collector I had recently met through work and he mentioned he had seen in my collection gallery that I collect unbranded Made in China/Hong Kong cars. He said that he (like most collectors) doesn't care for them and whenever he comes across any he just puts them in the box of cars his grandkids to play with. It sounded like the grandkids didn't really care about those cars either, haha. He asked if I was interested in taking them off his hands, and I said I absolutely was. I started trying to make an offer, but he just wanted to send them straight to me, even covering shipping. A few days later I got a box in the mail carefully packed with a couple dozen cars, mostly Summer, plus a few other brands. He may not have thought it was a big deal, but I was very excited to add them all to my collection!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know I started this, but I received a package today from a friend up in Alberta, Canada today. Lloyd sent me a couple of very cool things, the purple '69 Charger from the RLC, along with a Neo-Classics Series '71 Plymouth GTX. Very cool of him to do this for me.
I sent him a package with 5 MOPAR castings in it a couple of weeks ago. Only one of them was a HWS casting though, the others were from M2 and Auto World.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My wife and I were at Wally-world last week when I spotted an '83 Chevy Silverado monster truck in the front of a huge MT display. I only have about 5 or 6 monster trucks in my collection, and this is one that I wouldn't collect. I've seen on another forum that these castings aren't easy to find, and when I told my wife this, she had a suggestion. Buy it, and give it away to someone who wants it for their collection, but can't find one. A RAOK.
I thought that's a cool idea, so I/we bought it, and now I'm offering it free of charge to someone who would like to add one to their collection. Preferably to someone who doesn't already have one/several of these and would just turn around and sell it.
I checked e-bay last night, and with shipping, the average cost is around $15.00-$20.00 bucks for one of these. I'm offering it free of charge, including shipping(within reason). Money is really tight right now, but I'm willing to do this because I believe in Karma and because I believe someone out there would really appreciate it.
I've received cars as RAOK from several different collectors, and I truly believe what comes around goes around.
Okay, so why should I give this casting to you?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It has been pointed out to me that my approach in doing this has probably alienated some of you, and maybe even pissed you off. This wasn't my intention, I was trying to do something that I thought would be cool with a casting I was lucky enough to find when I wasn't even looking for it(that seems to happen a lot).
I'll just give it to our grandson for his b'day in October and call off my offer, I don't know what else to do at this point.
I may need to step away from the hobby for a while anyway, I'm no longer going into town to go to the gym any more, I had to cancel my membership because of chronic problems with my shoulder. This means no more HWS hunting, just an occasional glance at the 1 or 2 stores we usually shop at. I rarely find anything anyway.
Sorry,
Mr. Macabre

1 - 20 of 50 Posts