Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
New stern bulkheads made, larger shuttle bay opening more accurately reflects the McQuarrie design. That shuttle bay would be at least 6 times the size of the one on a Constitution class ship.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
The larger shuttlebay really helps the wedge hull- looks like there is a reason for the shape. Just having a design to look different of a rearrangement of modules with a function behind it ruins things for me. Machines are designed with a purpose in mind and form follows function. The huge triangular secondary hull should look like that for a reason- larger shuttle operations (face it- the Constitution class had pretty small facilities when you scale it to the ships length), or the long forward sides are lined with high resolution sensors to augment the main dish...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
One of the delta wing sections done and started on the dorsal section. Originally I had planned to re-use the dorsal from the warped hull, but it was just easier to rebuild it. I am still playing around with whether or not to mount the dorsal flush with the leading edge or offset it back a little.

·
Curmudgeon
6,600 Posts
...I am still playing around with whether or not to mount the dorsal flush with the leading edge or offset it back a little...
I thought the offset was perfect. Then I did some quick editing of your photo in Photoshop and moved the dorsal forward so the leading edge would be flush, in order to compare the two side-by-side. Now I can't decide which I like better. I really like the offset, but I think flush actually works better with the overall design. :confused:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Decided to go with the offset dorsal. Delta wings and dorsal finished, screwed the saucer down to the secondary hull just to see how it will look. I ordered some clear plastic test tubes, I will use those as the basis for my engines, they will provide the bussard domes as well as the upper and lower sensor domes.

The camera angle makes the saucer seem to droop, but it is level with the horizontal c/l of the secondary hull.

This is a good angle:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
New saucer section, decided I did not like the original design. This is a view of the underside, a modified version of my original design, the rim, instead of angled will be curved and the top will be more in line with the McQuarrie design. The edge of the cone will be blended in to the hull with putty to get a smooth transition. The small disc at the apex of the cone will keep the step but I will add quarter round to the edge of it to make it look better, there will also be a sensor dome added. With all of the revisions that I have done to this there is nothing left of the original model I started a month ago!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The adventure continues, added the top hull to the saucer, already looks better.

A beauty shot, really beginning to look like the painting!

Underside saucer detail, I will add a sensor dome and I am thinking about adding phaser turrets to the rim around the bottom piece.

Saucer edge detail, really thinking about doing this on the leading edges of the wings and dorsal.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Looks great!
Are you going to fill the gap with sensors? That would help explain the unusual secondary hull shape (can't do the same thing effectively with a cylindrical hull) ...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Looks great!
Are you going to fill the gap with sensors? That would help explain the unusual secondary hull shape (can't do the same thing effectively with a cylindrical hull) ...
I had actually thought about that for the leading edges of the wings and dorsal. My idea is to use a thinner strip to separate the quarter round pieces and use tiny bits glued into the gap to busy it up, giving the impression that there is something there. I may also space that out with smooth areas that will have window decals applied.
I have also decided on the scale for this model, the same scale as the 18 inch AMT Enterprise, that means that this ship is much larger than the Enterprise. I haven't measured it to get a size yet, but somewhere around 300 to 400 ft. longer than a Constitution class ship.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts