Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok may be i just do not get.
Everyone is telling me to get the new super ghz radio with faast sytems spetrum!!!!! (Sounds like Billy Fucillo car adds!!)Is this a bunch of hype. One guy owns a hobby shop, the other guys must have money to get what ever they want.
I a B-mainer with an occasional jump to the A.
So please tell me in layman's terms.
What does my radio need top do on the track.
Dual rate, throttle adjustment ETC!!
I have a futaba mangum T3PDF with 4 recievers and lots of crystals
JR XR3 with 2 recievers and extra crystal.
Plus an Airtronics caliber 3sp.( Loved this radio!!!!!)
To be bluntly honest can not tell any difference at all.
Oh yeah let s go buy 4 or 5 PT's at $100 a pop instead of using track transponders.
Not ever going to snow birds , national , BRL. may just a few other tracks for fun.
Yeah race Oval but putting out here to get a complete look at the Hobby.
So if some of you informed and experianced RC"ERS would please give this Old Hack some first rate info. It would much appreciatted.
Thanks Dan

·
Registered
382 Posts
Well, in my opinion, a lot of racers are going to the 2.4 ghz systems for the convenience of not having to deal with crystals and frequency conflicts.
I ran the middle of the line radio gear for years but got tired of needing one transmitter per car, so I broke down and got myself am Airtronics M11 simply for the convenience of have a 30 model memory.
I will get to the 2.4 ghz someday but right now it is not a necessity.

PS, the M11 does have way more adjustments than I will ever use, but I got a smokin deal.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Dan,

SPEKTRUM isn't needed, but it sure is Handy. (The NO CRYSTAL THING)

Radio, a FUTABA 3pk is my favorite. It's older now, so you can find them for a good price.. you can adjust ANYTHING you'd want to adjust, it has the Oh Crap Button you can program to have a 2nd Dual Rate setting at 100% to help get you out of JAMS.

w/ FM (PCM) the range is GREAT, but SPEKTRUM or FAAST is nicer.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
From one Dan to another....
If you like what you have and are not having any trouble with it... keep it!!!
2.4 ghz systems are a great convenience. You don't have to worry about frequency issues. But the adjustments on the radio are no different than any other High quality FM Radio. You just don't have to worry about frequencies and can work on your car in the pits without having to go see if anyone racing is on your frequency.
Same with Personal Transponders.....
A great convenience.. but if you can't afford them, that is what house transponders are for. Shame on any track operator that doesn't have a set of at least 10 (20 is better) house transponders.
Are you having fun racing??? If you are good for you, keep doing what you are doing. In the event you HAVE to upgrade to a newer radio because of a failure, I am sure you will consider a 2.4 system. If you don't no big deal. Race and have fun!! That is what is supposed to be all about!
Dan

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Futaba 4PK No Hype, Total control, Its light, ergonomic, 40 model memory. I was going to buy the spektrum radio, but it didnt have steering speed adjustment. If your racing oval, that is a BIG advantage. I think the only other radio that has that is the nomadio.The 4PK still has the oh crap button. You can change the dials to do what you want. I upgraded to this radio and its the best thing i could have done. Ive raced for over 20 years, Technology is great! $$$$$$= Speed. The more you spend the faster you go! Thats no BS!

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Futaba 4PK No Hype, Total control, Its light, ergonomic, 40 model memory. I was going to buy the spektrum radio, but it didnt have steering speed adjustment.
The 3pk has Steering SPEED too. I'm not a FAST speed servo user, but I acquired one a while back, and when I use that I slow my servo speed down to about 70%

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fast is not everything

Good advice
my stuff is fine. Many doubts about going faster( more laps) with a new radio.
Frequency is no big deal every body has the new stuff!!!! I only change frequencies in other cars just leave the cystal in the car, and change radio one. My radios work fine!!!! There is so much BS and hype about this hobby.
Thanks for lipos and brushless. MY Sk has a 3 season old 17.5 and GTB.
Works freeaking great!!!! Spend so much more time on my cars experimenting.
The buzz is the new rotor, new timing ,Castle mamber super programing.
Makes my head HURT!!!!
When I can drive 25 or so laps the same lap speed yeah maybe. But have not or probably ever will ( just not that good). probably brain fart at least 7-8 laps every race. No radio is ever going to fix that.
To me there is nothing better that racing with a group off guys dicing it out CLEANLY with give and take. Either faking some one out or getting boxed out and passed. Ok I goofed. I can live with that because it was clean and got out smarted, very fun very cool.
Sure used to take way to serious no more.

This a Hobby, recreation, get away for a while and not worrying about all the little crap we deal with everyday.
So for all you racers out that are there for FUN. here is to you and me.
Cheers
Dan
X-man
www.danmurn.com

·
Registered
68 Posts
i use a 2.4ghz m11 with fss2. anyway other than the insane adjustments it has there are a couple things i like about it.

no channel wars with more than one driver on a channel.

no glitching that i normally seen with my old 72mhz tx/rx

greatly increased range. i have yet to test how far i can go but it is well over double the distance.

those are my main reasons i will stay with 2.4.. now with that said all these advantages can be had with a budget 2.4 system. i plan on picking up 2 budget setups for my wife and son. so no you don't have to spend an arm and a leg in order to play in the2.4 world.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
LowClass,

Be careful with some of the LOWER end Spektrum type radios. While they are DSM, they DON'T all have real good adjustability and settings.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
i use a 2.4ghz m11 with fss2. anyway other than the insane adjustments it has there are a couple things i like about it.

no channel wars with more than one driver on a channel.

no glitching that i normally seen with my old 72mhz tx/rx

greatly increased range. i have yet to test how far i can go but it is well over double the distance.

those are my main reasons i will stay with 2.4.. now with that said all these advantages can be had with a budget 2.4 system. i plan on picking up 2 budget setups for my wife and son. so no you don't have to spend an arm and a leg in order to play in the2.4 world.
i love my spektrum but,you can still have issues with other radios occasionally!!! has happened to me a couple of times!! from my understanding the spektrum is constantly searching so it never locks on one frequency!! as where the futaba fasst searches then locks on the frequency!!! the two times ive had an issue is when two futaba fasst radios were on either side of me,right next to me!!!! but either system works very well!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Radio Knowledge

Read my manual over again. (Pretty Dyslexic on manuals)
Adjusted my throttle exponential turned it up. Seem to work a bit better. Is there a steering exponential. One of the guys drove my car and said the servo was slow????? Not sure I could feel the difference. Any other fine tuning tips out there. Yeah stuck with old Radio!!!!
Dan

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Ok may be i just do not get.
Everyone is telling me to get the new super ghz radio with faast sytems spetrum!!!!! (Sounds like Billy Fucillo car adds!!)Is this a bunch of hype. One guy owns a hobby shop, the other guys must have money to get what ever they want.
I a B-mainer with an occasional jump to the A.
So please tell me in layman's terms.
What does my radio need top do on the track?
Dual rate, throttle adjustment ETC!!

Race radios need End Point Adjustment, Expo, Trim, Subtrim, model memory, lightweight, smooth steering wheel, smooth light trigger, proper brake trigger throw. Aftermarket wheels and foam are a nice touch. A high voltage ready (9v) Rx is a must for nitro racing. Spektrum Dx3r and KO Helios are best for nitro.

I have a futaba mangum T3PDF with 4 recievers and lots of crystals
JR XR3 with 2 recievers and extra crystal.
Plus an Airtronics caliber 3sp.( Loved this radio!!!!!)
To be bluntly honest can not tell any difference at all.
Oh yeah let s go buy 4 or 5 PT's at $100 a pop instead of using track transponders.

Personal transponders let you concentrate on getting on the stand and running a few laps before the race instead of fumbling with a track transponder for 10 minutes before every race. That extra track time, and not rushing to get your car ready, deos make you a tad faster. I like being relaxed when I get to the stand. If I have to track down my transponder, or switch transponders because the computer entered the wrong one, or the track transponder works poorly, that ruins my run. Personals are often more reliable. Worth the money.

Not ever going to snow birds , national , BRL. may just a few other tracks for fun.
Yeah race Oval but putting out here to get a complete look at the Hobby.
So if some of you informed and experianced RC"ERS would please give this Old Hack some first rate info. It would much appreciatted.
Thanks Dan
If it ain't broken.......... I'm still clinging to my M8. I'll wait till the next Spektrum Dx3r comes out. Hopefully it'll be a bit nicer.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If you look at alot of the fastest oval guys they run the old Futaba 3PJS. The 3PK has the same features but is not as balanced...

Ritchie Mac

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still sticking with it.

Going to stick with my old futaba. Seems to have all the features I need.
Now to understand them wellllll. COULD USE SOME HELP!
So if any one would so kind as to explain this to me( yes I'm Slow to catch on)
steering exponential
throttle exponential.
Sub trim
Also can never get servo saver lined up AT 0
thanks Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm running a Old Magnum Junior.. 2PBKA in my son's B4 w/ the RJ112E receiver.. No issues whatsoever.. I bought a New RB5 so i picked up a New 3PK for it.. Can't beat the 2.4GHZ stuff for ease of use but like someone mentioned up above, most have the 2.4GHZ stuff now anyway so I haven't had any freq. issues and haven't had to change crystal's... If i can just keep that damned battery holder in one piece.. I'd be good to go.. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts