Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is your opinion of the best radio for Oval racing? I have been using Futaba and getting back in after a three year absence, I hear their new "Fast" system has problems with 4-cell if you do not use a reciever pack. I really do NOT want to have to use a receiver pack. Wouldn't mind a spektrum type radion but am no adverse to changing crytals, been using an old 3PK (feels comfortable) and since almost EVERYONE else has a spektrum type I have not had to change crystals anyway! Lets here some suggestions. Thanks Ralf ps am on a budget but will spend more if I have to.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Any high end radio is fine.. the 3pk seems to be the most popular.. Buy a spektrum module and receiver for it and your set...

I use a discontinued Hitec Lynx 3D with a spektrum.. i have not had any issues with it to date.. But i use the mew style micro receiver..

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
Yup, if you already have a 3pk you are good to go.
If you decide to go with the Spektrum you won't have to worry if somebody else turns on their radio on your frequency. Even though the Spektrum is getting more and more popular, their are still alot of guys with crystals out there.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
The 3PK of JR XS 3 Pro, Have used the JR for 3yrs and have not had a problem at all.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Radio ............Heck I'm still using a 1024 pcm from futuba. They might be old but they still work :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Ralf,

If you have a 3pk, you don't have any reason for a NEW radio...(If it's the 3pk not the 3pj)

Put a spektrum module in it if you want...but if you have the PCM receiver w/ nearly everyone else running spektrum...there's almost no need to change.

The 3pk is sweet because of button re-assignment. Set the button under the steering wheel to FULL STEERING, then you can turn your dual rate way down and get rid of any scrub from too much steering...and if/when you get into trouble you hit the button to have full steering and drive away..

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Do you need a reciever pack for 4-cell racing with the 3PKS? I heard that with the 2.4MHz "Fast" system people are having problems under acceleration when running without a reciever pack? Thanks Ralf

·
Registered
318 Posts
A guy at our track just bought one and did not need a reciever pack (running 4300 b/l) the track owner also has the fasst system and hasn't had a problem with out a reciever pack...

·
Registered
359 Posts
i thought you were just on here saying you had a binding issue with your spek.idk maybe it was someone else.but if you have a 3pk stay with that and get the spektrum modual.i heard heard mixed reviews of the fasst system.i bought the spektrum cause i was sure it would work fine.

·
Registered
557 Posts
What is the newest and best Spektrum system to get!!!!!Im going to buy a new 3PK and I don't want any problems!!!!!! If the Fast system is giveing trouble I will stay away from that!!!!!!!Hacksaw

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Never had a problem with my Fasst system either. Taken it to Snowbirds, ORL races, and to Carpet Oval Nationals. You cant go wrong with it. Oh yeah, and I dont run a reciever pack for 4300 or Stock.

Joel White

·
Registered
870 Posts
A 3pk with the spectrum pro system is as good as it gets. A 3pk can worth some time on the track once you start playing with all the features.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I use a Futaba 3pks with the FASST System at big races. I have never had a glitch in 4-cell mod and 19turn! (19t was w/out a reciever pack). The Futaba 3pk is still a great radio, and you don't have to get with a dsm system. I still use pcm recievers for club races. But if you want to go w/ dsm.... the FASST system is great!

Adam Liehr
Team Futaba

1 - 14 of 14 Posts