Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there race a Maxx? My local track is planing on having a monster truck class and I expect it to be the biggest class so I am thinking about buying a SportMaxx to race in it. The way I see it the Sportmaxx will be alot lighter and more agile and therefore better for racing.

I have read all the articles on the traxxas website, does anyone know of any other websites with tips/mods for people that want to race their Maxx?

Any "must upgrade" parts that are prone to breaking?

Will the 40 series bowties be better than the regular bowties?

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
Can't help you with nitro as I race a E-Maxx at our track but overall they are the same chassis wise. First of all, upgrade the shocks! The Maxx shocks are a real weak point of the truck. Plastic shocks with plastic caps is just asking for a blown shock and man does it make a mess. I'm sure there will be those that disagree with me on that though. I personally run Dynamite Losi shocks on one truck and have Integy piggybacks on the other. Have not run the truck with the Integies much though to really see how they work. About the only parts we've seen broken on a semi regular basis on the new 2.5 trucks is lower suspension arms. As far as SportMaxx vs T-Maxx goes I dunno. I haven't yet had a SportMaxx in my hands but I can't imagine that they could be THAT much lighter. I imagine you could get the 2wd to hook up rather well but I dunno if I'd sacrifice the 4wd myself. As for websites to look at, maybe try www.maxxtraxxusa.com or the R/C Monster Truck Network (www.rcmt.net maybe?).

40 series vs regular? Not sure on this one right now. I haven't seen the 40 series up close but one guy here ran some regular bowties last summer on a Savage .21 and they seem to have a thin sidewall allowing them to "roll under" pretty bad. It's possible that the 40 series with a lower sidewall would reduce this somewhat or maybe denser foams in the regulars.

Just happened to think. I just got some of the Traxxas SportTraxx tires to run this summer. They seem like they are going to work pretty well so you might consider these also.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I only race an E-Maxx too, but I thought the Sport Traxx tires came on the sport Maxx?

The 40 series Bow ties and regular bow ties work well, I have run the regulars and competed against the 40 series & can't say one seemed to have better traction than the other. But you do need a firm insert in the regular size Bow Ties.

I agree with Ovalman about the shock upgrade and believe him about the lower suspension arms, I broke 2 of them on a new maxx already. But I believe the 1st and most important is to upgrade the steering servo & servo saver (Pro-Line steering kit recommended). You need a real good High Torque servo there, I run a HiTec 945 in mine. It's the only upgrade so far on my new truck.

Something to keep in mind is weight, there are alot of aluminum hop ups available that will make your truck very strong, but add alot of weight that will reduce performance. Don't fall into that trap unless you plan on strapping a monster bigblock in it!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the 40 series bow ties any bigger around than the regular ones or just lower profile on a bigger rim?

I've read the sportmaxx racing article on Traxxas website and it says its possible to have a truck under 7 lbs.

I am getting rid of the electric start, putting a smaller fuel tank on it, trying the stock shocks with aluminum caps on them, using a Hitec 945 for steering, using my M8 to control the thing, and using a 5 cell receiver pack.

·
Steel City Hobbies
1,395 Posts
We race SportMaxx's at our track all the time and they are great. We also race a lot of T-Maxx's as well as other brand names. The interesting thing is that the SportMaxx comes in on top more often than some may think. Most think that a 4x4 is the way to go... but there are a lot of advantages with the SportMaxx 2WD than meets the eye. Check out www.steelcityhobbies.com as there are a lot of pictures of pro football players running the whole Traxxas line including the SportMaxx! You can also call the store manager (Jerry) as he races a SportMaxx (and others) but swears by the SportMaxx. He has also built a tricked out all aluminum SportMaxx as well. Feel free to call or write for more info! Good luck!
[email protected] :wave:

·
Steel City Hobbies
1,395 Posts
Pat,
Yes, the 40 Series is the same "OD" as the stock tires... the rims are larger as well, therfore giving the 40 series tire a smaller sidewall. As I replied about the SportMaxx, you will see these tires at www.steelcityhobbies.com... I have a few sets myself from show trucks with ProLine™ Spinners on the 40 Series set up to actual driving tires... a lot of fun and great looks and performance. About the other stuff... sounds like you are trying to lighten it up for some racing? Good luck to you!
[email protected] :wave:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For anyone that may care I found that Duratrax Evader green springs are slightly stiffer than the stock springs and will fit. Unfortunately I dont know the rate.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have raced my T-Maxx for the last four years starting with the old Maxx now i have the new 2.5. I have found the INTEGY piggyback shocks to be a very good shock for handleing the bumps and keeping the tires on the ground. The 40 series bow-ties and regular ones are quite a bit diff. when it comes to handling, the 40's do not roll under with the shorter and stiffer sidewall and make the truck handle well. the regulars work on some tracks I have been on and allow for a little more plushness in the suspension. As for putting in a smaller fuel tank I recommend not to that just means stopping for fuel more often, my Maxx only runs for about 7 minutes on the big tank and during our 20 min. A-Mains the less time spent in the pits getting fueled up the better. As for 2wd vs. 4wd it all depends on the track surface, 2wd is going to be a handfull if the track is loose where with 4wd you don't have to worry about it to much since you have four wheels pulling, I feel that 4wd will get you through the corners faster since you can apply full throttle exiting the corners. I am currently the Roar Region 7 Monster Truck Champ and past Minn. State Champ with my Maxx

·
Registered
78 Posts
As far as racing a MAXX:

One of the things i discovered is, and i don't know if i'm describing this right, but on the upper a-arms in the front, there are little clips that act like spacers by the hinge pin, one towards the front and one in the back. i move both of those clips to the back, thus increasing caster which i think increases steering

Good servo is a MUST, torque first, but if you can i would get a digital servo as well. It makes a night and day difference from an analog servo. Also the Pro-Line MAXX performance steering kit makes a night and day difference in the turning of the truck as well

SHOCK OIL!!!!!!!!!! a good shock setup is key for a maxx for racing. I run personally 60 wt front and 40 wt. rear, my shocks are also laid down quite a bit, in the far outside in the arm front and rear, with the middle on the tower front and rear. Stock springs

Regular bowties and OK, but foams are a big deal in those tires and Pro-Line foams suck(ok for couple months then they start to break down), so i would suggest getting the 40 series bowties, they aren't as dependent on foams, and because of the lack of sidewall flex, they are a TON more responsive than the regular ones.

That's about it, i race an E-MAXX so i don't know any of the gas specific things, hope i've been a help!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
So what Snickers, did your Dad teach you most of that? You got a real neat Dad.:cool:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since the track will probably be a bit dug up due to the 1/8th scales Im going to give the sport traxx tires a shot.

·
Registered
129 Posts
patcollins said:
Since the track will probably be a bit dug up due to the 1/8th scales Im going to give the sport traxx tires a shot.
I tried the sport maxx tires and found them to be to bouncey, now I run a set of meat grinders that work great but I may try a set of response tires for the Revo .

·
Registered
5 Posts
i need some set up tips for my sport maxx. i want to make that thing fast and handle well. it has a tendency to pick the front end up under accelleration and it makes it hard to steer. Any body that may have some good tips or parts they want to sell i am definitly interested.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts