Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We're getting a new track up and running. 18th Scale, and 1/14th Scale vehicles. Our straightway is about 32 feet, with 4 lanes about 18 feet wide. Running on Ozite.

Most of the people who will be racing are newbies to RC vehicles. Lots of RC flight guys with new vehicles purchased through our hobbyshop.

There's many different kinds of vehicles showing up for practice days so it looks like we'll be racing anything anyone wants, as long as there's 3 cars for a class.

I'm wondering how other people are dealing with the two pan cars that are out there in 1/18th scale? BRP and Robitronics. I personally own one of each but haven't had much track time with either yet, so I thought I would ask here.

From a strictly speed perspective are the two vehicles in stock form about the same speed and run about the same lap times?

Being that the two are both pan cars I'd like to be able to run them in the same class.

What are other tracks doing when Scalpels and Bud's cars show up? I'd assume it would be best to run Bud's GTP body, but not sure about motor and total amount of battery cells.

·
Premium Member
8,168 Posts
If thay are new racers the BRP is the way to go. Simple and do not break!!

Have not seen a scalpel run I had one and sold it right away. We have run BRP cars 6 cell stock motors against BRP cars 4 cell 370 motor and they are about the same speed.
The BRP SC18V2 does not need small radio gear or servos it will take standard size stuff.
If You go to the mid motor chassis and run 6 cell You will need a smaller rec'v and speed control, servo can still be standard size.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BudBartos said:
If thay are new racers the BRP is the way to go. Simple and do not break!!

Have not seen a scalpel run I had one and sold it right away. We have run BRP cars 6 cell stock motors against BRP cars 4 cell 370 motor and they are about the same speed.
The BRP SC18V2 does not need small radio gear or servos it will take standard size stuff.
If You go to the mid motor chassis and run 6 cell You will need a smaller rec'v and speed control, servo can still be standard size.

The people buying new vehicles are tending to purchase RTR vehicles that are on the shelf at the track's hobbyshop. Two of them are hot sellers. The Recoil and the RC18 series of vehicles. If BRP had a RTR aimed at customers new to the hobby and racing I'm sure those would move too.

The Scalpels are on the shelf too, and most of them are sold as a second vehicle to someone already racing another product.

I own a BRP and like it alot. I want to seemore at the track. I bought it used from rctech.net. It was built but never run. It came with a ESC and a servo. I dropped my receiver into it, reset the gear mesh and dropped it on the track. It hooked up well on the Ozite and just runs and runs.

I need to do some lap time testing with the BRP setup...the stock Parma motor, the six 2/3 AA cells (mounted saddle), and the stock Scalpel...a 300 motor with 4 2/3AA cells. If they both yield about the same laptimes on our road course we'll just call the class 1//18th Scale Pan Car.

Hey Bud....have any Super Cars that are fully built? I can get the hobbyshop to stock them. Otherwise the shop can order one and build it. I think if the shop has a "test car" customers would buy them. I wonder what would be a best electronics setup? Affordability would be a factor.

Duratrax Streak?
What servo?
BRP battery pack?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The track is totally new. A "real race" hasn't happened yet. We just got the PC setup and I am practicing using Alycat software. I'm using the demo copy now and will most likely get the full version soon. I'm hoping to have racing start in afew weeks.

We haven't setup an oval as of yet.

I'm wondering what to use for track barriers (inside of the oval) when we do go oval?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BudBartos said:
What is the size of You track?
Aprox. 32x20 feet, new Ozite.

Also....those are old photos that I linked to. Since then all the PVC connectors have been taken out and it's all smooth connections everywhere. There will be new photos very soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
K-5 CAPER said:
Are you near Stantons hobby shop?
Stanton Hobbyshop closed up shop a few years ago. But yes Strictly RC would be less than 10 minutes from the old Stanton. I live a few blocks from where Stanton was.

Are you in Chicago?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I see.

My plans are to run some tests:

Scalpel Stock vs BRP w/slotcar motor 6 cells 2/3AA
Scalpel Stock vs BRP w/robotronics 300 motor ($8.99) 6 cells 2/3AA
Scalpel Stock vs BRP w/robitronics 300 motor and 4 cells 2/3AA

1 - 20 of 32 Posts