Hobbyist Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Racers Edge R/C Racing & Hobbies - Smethport

110K views 2K replies 37 participants last post by  hankster 
#1 ·
Welcome racers! I had been thinking of starting a thread for our track when Hank still had the "track threads" area up but put it off. Since we are going to be starting an off road track I figured this was the best place as any to start it.

For those that would like to know my name is Rick Morgan. A friend (Johna Simar) and myself took over the running of the local carpet oval track during the winter months about 3-4 years ago. We have since added an AMB system and tried to upgrade any items that we can every year. Just this past winter we began getting involved in the hobby shop portion of the business. We now have a shop set up in a building next door to where I live and will be starting on the off road track (also located here) very soon. We are still waiting for approval from Horizon Hobby and Great Planes but have some parts in stock now. This is the place for our racers or anyone that would like to race with us to discuss items concerned with the track. Our motto is "Racing to bring you the fun!" and we do our best at trying to bring this to everyone that races with us. We have a website that you can visit at RER/CR&H to find more information and bring any questions you may still have back here.

We appreciate the site Hank has here to be able to provide us a discussion area so if this is your first time here, take some time to look around the rest of his great site.

So without further ado, let the track talkin' begin! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Move carpet racing from Sunday's to Saturday's?

I have been talking to several racers at Racer's Edge Racing and all of them have said let's talk to Rick and see if he will move racing from Sundays to Saturday. So I thought this would be a great place to start the chating? What do we all think? What are the pro's and con's? And if we change will MOM still make me Pizza?

#3 ·
Saturday racing

Why does it seem that everybody else can put 1500 smilies in there post but I try putting 3-5 and it says I have to many and have to change it????????? Lost my whole dang post too!! Ok let's try this again.

KSG...........good to see someone from the track finally stopped by. Maybe this will bring some of the others out of the woodwork.

Cons
1. PRO Speedway "would like to" race on Saturdays. They haven't gotten anybody but I don't know as I want to step on their toes either?

2. My partner seems to have to work most Saturdays but that may be able to be changed.

Can't think of any more cons right now.

Pros
1. BIG ONE..Donalbain wouldn't have to run out of there each week to get some much needed sleep before work! :)

2. We'd be able to watch more NASCAR races.

3. Those that go to church Sundays could get there earlier Saturdays for more practice.

4. I could sleep in Sunday. :)

I imagine "The cook" will still be there no matter what day we choose.

Now I know there is some discussion on Saturday racing through the summer too. Pros and cons of this?

Cons
1. There is much more going on during the summer. Several dirt oval tracks run Saturdays. Would we be in competition with them for the "entertainment factor"? Yard work but that can be either Sat. or Sun.

2. Partner working.........

Pros
1. The Donalbain factor...... LOL

2. NASCAR......

3. Church........

4. Sleep...... :)

So I dunno guys, give me some feedback.

#4 ·
One more big Pro and that would be John could watch NFL on Sunday's :D

And as far as PRO raceway, there is only one or two at Racers Edge that actually go up there on a weekly basis, and it is much to far for the rest of us on a weekly basis, so I don't see any problem as far as PRO, and I don't see where you would be stepping on their toes.
Maybe if you were closer to their track, but not with the distance there is between them.

Let's hear it, anyother racers want to change?

#5 ·
Track info

Hello, I'm new to this and never got a chance to race over the winter in smethport, since i didn't find out about it till the last week:( I live in Warren and our season has just ended, and i already miss it lol i wasn't the worst racer there, but i wasn't the best either, i'm still new to the sport, but love it alot... i was just wondering when and where they still race during the summer and also my dad owns alot of land up yankee bush in warren where i could build an offroad track if anyone would be interested.... He also has a bulldozer and backhoe so, it shouldn't take me to long to get it up and going, i was just wonder what if any input people would have on it and if people would be interested in doing it... cause up till now, that is my only option for racing during the summer, so if anyone knows of any track onroad or off, where i could race or if anyone would be interested in racing offroad in yahkee bush, please email me with your imput or questions.. thanks, Bruce Scooby_cakes@yahoo.com

#6 ·
What about weeknights?

Other than the obvious having to put up lights. In NY and Southern Ont., there are at least 7 dirt ovals that race on weeknights and they get good turnouts, better than when they race on the weekends. This way people can make weekend plans and not have to miss the races.

#8 ·
scooby_cakes.....have no fear, we are going to be building a off road track so you'll have someplace to race during the summer (if it ever quits raining). You are more than welcome to build your own but make sure you let us know where it is so we can come race too. :) We tried to get some dirt to get started yesterday but the guy at the gravel pit wasn't around all day and of course here it is raining again today! As soon as we can get things started here it shouldn't take long at all to get it done. We are still hoping for a June opening. Great when your Dad owns heavy equipment huh? :D

johnqpublic.....'sup Paul? The only problem with weeknight racing is we have a few people that work nights. It cramps their style I know but I guess you have to work when the boss tells you to.

Donalbain.......rain is how the track is coming unfortunatly. :(

#9 ·
My take on the Saturday's racing is Darin's attendance would be down as I work a Tues. - Sat. Night shift. I really don't see that schedule changing in the near future....unless of course something drastic happens. That's only 2 racers that would wither down.:confused:

#11 ·
Yeah, He's chasing girls as well as real cars, (or should I say dreaming about real cars). Yeah his wardrobe can be quite disturbing...his mother isn't too pleased with his attire at times. I figure if I fight him he'll find something even more ridiculous to wear, so I tolerate it.:lol:

#12 ·
Racer's Edge Dirt Track

Glad to see everyone making their way here. This is a good place to have your say and keep up with what's going on.

JohnQ: good to hear from you, keep us up to date on some of that oval racing this summer.

Scooby: I understand they had quite a 4wd class at Dreamboat Hobbys last summer, aren't they going to race this summer?

Speaking of 4wd class racing, I'm hoping we can really get something going at Racer's Edge this summer. I was there tonight supporting my LHS, and Ovalman has a good start on a decent parts supply. The spot they have for the track has alot of potential. Track building is alot of work, and it takes a while for any dirt track to settle in and be right to race on. A real off road track in this area will be a treat for sure, I hope we can get everyone to come and give it a try. There's nothing quite like piloting a 4wd buggy over big jumps and seeing those dirt rooster tails coming off the front tires in the turns!

Most everyone in this area is used to running off road trucks and buggys on pavement and carpet. Just think, you guys finally get to run all those neat pin spike tires that came with your kits! You'll get to see what your R/C was designed to do!

#14 ·
track

Just as an update............load of dirt just went by the front of the house. Have to go check it out for "quality". :) I'll let everybody know how things look soon.

K1M....hehe.....I still have a pair of silver IFMAR pins and directional fronts that were never mounted from my original XXT! :)

#16 ·
Rick: I have to agree with johnq an Oval outside the off road would be neat, that way you could attract both types of racers and make more "$"..... and being in business, I know making more "$" is the goal right? Just my 2 cents. By the way as far as the IRS is concerned that's all I made last year(2 cents);)

#17 ·
dirt 'n' stuff

Didn't think it was ever possible to find in Penna. but it seems my Pa found the motherload of clean clay! There are five loads in so far and I figure there needs to be between 5 and 10 more before we get started. Maybe I otta reconsider ordering those mini pins in the next order afterall! :)

John and Paul....I'd like to, especially how good this stuff looks so far BUT (there's always a big but huh? :)) we kind of decided that it's got to be an "either or" with this thing. With the room we have to use, it's gotta be oval or off road to make it a "good" track. Kim just mentioned that (oval on outside) last night too but I don't want to "skimp" on one type of track to facilitate the other. We want it to be the best it can be and to do that I think it's gotta be either an oval or off road. The oval will come soon enough I think. I've been promising Paul that for awhile but you just gotta hang in there man! :)

#19 ·
Haha...........no, I don't think so either! I can't believe you might try off road though. Figured you were like Kevin Allen, he likes to keep his racing "two dimensional". :) Find a XXT/XXXT and come have some fun cause I know your a Losi kinda guy right? LOL

#21 ·
Paul, only dumb question is one not asked.........er something like that. The XXXT is basically a brand new vehicle from the ground up. I believe about the only thing the same on the two is the rear suspension arms and f/r shocks. They seem to have a lower center of gravity compared to the XXT. Hope that helps.

#22 ·
I believe K1m said it well, we can have oval racing anytime. I never raced @ Coast's track (before my time) but i always have a blast on the fairground track. I'd probley wet myself racing on a full blown off-roader.

Hey, I have a xxtcr, loaded. I could part with it.:rolleyes:

l8r

#23 ·
Big difference is about $75.00....no the XXXT is the Newest Version of the Losi. While the XXT is the older version. The gear ratio for the XXXT is I believe 2.43 while the XXT is 2:61. The XXXT's appear to be more forgiving on setups. It appears easier to drive than the XXT. Other changes were on the bulk heads, we used to break a few on the XXT thruout a season, the XXXT I don't recall changing one in the 2 years we've had it. The XXXT seems to be a faster truck, I'm guessing due to the gearing changes and the fact that they dropped the stance of the XXXT approx. 1/2 inch. I could be all wet...anybody feel free to jump in...

#24 ·
off road

Ten loads are in so now it's time to spread it out and see how much more we are going to need. Not sure but the weather might put a crimp on the construction process in the next couple days. If that happens then it might suck because it takes newly laid dirt forever to dry out it seems. Look for a few pictures to be posted on the website later today or tomorrow.

Hehe...........Don's gonna wet himself. :lol:

#25 ·
no, i guess he stopped having the offroad track a few years ago at dream boat, so i'm not sure if he will or, he said he might, but i dought it, thats why i want to build my own, i'm just not sure if to make it big, like a 5 lap track or a speed track, cause my dad has his own small trucking company, so hauling the dirt or what not wouldn't be a problem, any imput? thanks, bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.