Hobbyist Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Racers Edge R/C Racing & Hobbies - Smethport

110K views 2K replies 37 participants last post by  hankster 
#1 ·
Welcome racers! I had been thinking of starting a thread for our track when Hank still had the "track threads" area up but put it off. Since we are going to be starting an off road track I figured this was the best place as any to start it.

For those that would like to know my name is Rick Morgan. A friend (Johna Simar) and myself took over the running of the local carpet oval track during the winter months about 3-4 years ago. We have since added an AMB system and tried to upgrade any items that we can every year. Just this past winter we began getting involved in the hobby shop portion of the business. We now have a shop set up in a building next door to where I live and will be starting on the off road track (also located here) very soon. We are still waiting for approval from Horizon Hobby and Great Planes but have some parts in stock now. This is the place for our racers or anyone that would like to race with us to discuss items concerned with the track. Our motto is "Racing to bring you the fun!" and we do our best at trying to bring this to everyone that races with us. We have a website that you can visit at RER/CR&H to find more information and bring any questions you may still have back here.

We appreciate the site Hank has here to be able to provide us a discussion area so if this is your first time here, take some time to look around the rest of his great site.

So without further ado, let the track talkin' begin! :)

See less See more
#28 ·
drainage

Don.......yea we talked about that a little bit the other day. Hopefully things will work out "as is" so we don't have to worry about it to much. I just hope it's not another one of those wet summers. :rolleyes:

#29 ·
Track Building 101

When we first built our track many moons ago, we used a hose laid out on the ground to mark out the size and shape one section at a time. That way you can move it around until it's right, and see what it's really gonna look like. Then we used the only thing we had at the time, a rototiller to dig up the dirt. Some people do it the easy way and haul dirt in. Hehehehe!

At first I didn't put in a drainage system, that came several years later, but it was evident after the first heavy rain that I should have. There's no excuse for standing water anywhere near where R/C's are being run! ESC's are too expensive, and it only takes a drop in the wrong spot. With some kind of drainage, even if the race is delayed because of rain, if it quits you can still race. I'll say one thing, it's easier to put some pipes in at the start, rather than digging everything back up to do it.

Of course then there was the mud race....15 to 20 people showed up to race and it drizzled all day. Several of us got tired of waiting and decided to race anyhow. What a mess! You couldn't tell which car was yours, they were all the same color - brown! Every one took out their electronics afterward an literally hosed them off. (Not recommended)

#30 ·
I'm kind of surprised. It has rained quite a bit here the last couple days and it doesn't look to bad. There are a couple low spots that "puddled" but overall things look pretty good. Of course it's gonna be awhile before we can get back on it now and OF COURSE they are calling for more rain the next couple days now. :mad: We are hoping to get the rest of the clay this week some time so we can get started on the layout next weekend. Have to see how the weather turns out I guess.

#31 ·
I was over at the hobby shop and talking to Rick today and it was in the middle of a rain storm and I have to admit that where the track is, it looks like it was draining rather well. But of course K1m has a point. Once you get the jumps in, there will be puddle areas and that would probably need drainage. Again just my two cents.

So are we changing the indoor season to SATURDAY's? One vote YES!

#33 ·
indoors

Geez guys, let's get the outdoors started before we talk about the indoors more. :D Just kidding........Bruce, we usually start racing indoors the first part of November and run till the end of March.

Puddle areas...hopefully a broom will work wonders on them between jumps. :)

Ok...........poll time! Which way would you like to start heats, staggard or heads up? Mains will of course be by best qualifier.

#34 ·
Poll: Staggard/H.U. Starts

I'm leaning toward a staggard start. Now, are we talking about a time staggar or a physical staggaring of the field at the line? If it's possible to do a time staggar for the qualifiers, then I'm for it. Leave the physical staggar for the main. I'm for staggaring 'cause "we" have been doing the "heads up" for at least four years. This usually gives to a hanous 1st turn pileup. I like that we have begun staggard starts for the mains.

Are we spelling staggard correctly? Seems odd.

d

#35 ·
starts

This will be a start like they do at PRO Speedway, basically an IFMAR start, everybody on their own clock. Depending on how many we run per heat probably 3-5 second intervals. Mains would remain how we have been doing it indoors this year, physical stagger. BTW this is for off road...........indoors would probably be about impossible to do a staggered start unfortunatly. :(

Stagger, staggered, staggar, staggard...........I guess you figured it out. :) LOL

#36 · (Edited)
whats wrong w/ the way almost every other track does it?...6 car heat....3 rows of 2, etc. Then for the 2nd round everyone moves up one row....front row to the back.

Trying to figure out what truck to buy. Do you guys think that the Losi Spec Truck (w/ bearings), would be as good as the MF edition XXXT? (handling-wise)

Rick, maybe you should think about making those blue tires mandatory...it might save everyone some $$$$. Just a thought.

PB

#37 ·
Paul...We'd basically be doing it that way. The first heat we would start the cars (say numbers 1,2,3,4) 1,2,3,4 then in the second heat they would start 4,3,2,1. They would start at 3-5 second intervals however.

I don't see how you'd go wrong with the XXXT spec truck with some bearings in it. About the only difference would be a little weight (graphite versus stiffzell) and maybe some rigitity (same reason). I imagine you could probably live without the threaded shock bodies too huh? :) Basically they are the same truck just one doesn't have all the fancy smancy stuff on it, so you'll save some $$$ too.

Dunno about the spec tire. It would save me on having to stock a bunch of tires though. :thumbsup: Hmmmm.......

#38 ·
Ive been scouring ebay for an xxxt that dosent require me to stay up too late to bid on it...LOL! Also one that dosent go for too much $$$...people will pay way too much for used stuff on there! Yes I could live without all of the fancy stuff...especially being new to off-road.

I hadnt thought about the stocking of the hobbyshop angle on the tires...something to think about. Also it would "dumb-down" the tire selection process...which is perfect for me, since I dont know jack about off road tires anyway!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

#39 ·
You must be squattin' on the site here! :lol: Oh yea, if you're a seller eBay is Da place man but smart shoppers don't get much bought off of there. Every once in awhile you find a deal but not very often. I've been watching Emaxxes on there on occasion. People are idiots..............no way am I gonna pay $300 for a used one when a new one can be had for a few bucks more!! Then you have the shipping theives.........$25 shipping for a 112C charger????? Don't laugh, I've seen it. :confused:

Anyway, I'm off on a rant again. I'm basically in the same boat as you with off road.............don't know jack but I'm a quick learner. :)

#41 ·
so what are all the classes you will be running on the off road track? will you have stock and mod classes and do you have nitro classes or will they run togeather? also, what days will you have races and is it gonna be by the same place you have your indoor track?:thumbsup: :wave:

#42 ·
classes

Best bet is to visit our website and check out the classes/rules. We will have stock, mod, and nitro classes available. Check out the location page to see where the shop/track is located. We haven't decided weither we'll be racing Saturday or Sunday yet however.

#45 ·
Pa just went to get the material for the jumps so we'll be getting started on that today or tomorrow, whichever my little Bro' decides on I imagine. :) I'll be sure and take some pics to post as the construction progresses. Johna got the pipe yesterday for the barriers so we're all ready to go as soon as the dirt arrives.

Kim........sorry to hear what happened so you couldn't make it to Ohio and put a beatin on Bud man. I know you were REALLY looking forward to it. Hope the back gets to feelin' better! :thumbsup:

#46 ·
Racers Edge in Ohio

Ovalman: Yeah, It sure was lousey timing. I really screwed my back up this time, but after 4 days it's finally getting better. Just didn't think I could handle the 4 1/2 hour drive or I would have been there too. :D

Our two representatives from Racers Edge made a good showing in Elyria, Ohio racing BRP's on "Da Track". Don took 3rd in the A main and KaneSurfGuru took 1st in the C main. That's all I've heard so far, hopeing they'll both fill me in on all the details when they get home.

We'll have to shoot for the next race, June 1st - maybe we can get some of the rest of us to go too, hint, hint.

Sounds like the track is coming along, if the weather co-operates, you should be racing before long. Let me know when you're ready for testing, I hope to run XX-4 and/or truck on it this summer. It's hard to make jumps right without just running some vehicles on it to see how they land. If you want, I can bring my 4 wheeler and track grooming equipment. Just let me know.

JohnQ: Keep you eyes open, there are good buys out there. I bought a XXX-T with full titanium for $140 last year off Ebay. another good place to watch is Radio Control Zone:
http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=213&daysprune=

Just My 3 Cents:
1. Blue tires don't save anyone $$, they just look stupid.
2. I'm all for Saturday racing too.
3. Heads up starts in qualifiers, staggered start for the mains.

#47 ·
track

Well we ARE started but by the looks of it, it is going to take some time now (a lot of hand work, rake, shovel, wheelbarrow). I know there were some offers of help from my good friends so be looking for an e-mail soon guys. I'd like to maybe get together next weekend if possible. I'm going to be looking at a lawn roller in the next couple days, one that is small enough to be pushed to roll the jumps. Look for updated pics tomorrow.

Oh yea, Kim, a vehicle flying would probably help to make sure things are made right too. :)

#49 ·
roller

How heavy Don? Is it something that would be able to be pushed up and over the jumps? We need to get one for permanent use but maybe you could bring yours along to get things done faster.

Looks like this weekend may be out unless you guys wouldn't mind working Sunday? :) Gotta go get truck inspected on Saturday and I know how much you guys like stuff on Sundays. :lol:

#51 ·
Just ordered a new lawn roller from Costas but forgot to ask when it would be in........DOH! Gonna be a "poly" model, 18x24 and will weight "up to" 250# but I'm not sure how much it weighs "unloaded". We'll have to see how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.