Hobbyist Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 2,365 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Paul, only dumb question is one not asked.........er something like that. The XXXT is basically a brand new vehicle from the ground up. I believe about the only thing the same on the two is the rear suspension arms and f/r shocks. They seem to have a lower center of gravity compared to the XXT. Hope that helps.

I believe K1m said it well, we can have oval racing anytime. I never raced @ Coast's track (before my time) but i always have a blast on the fairground track. I'd probley wet myself racing on a full blown off-roader.

Hey, I have a xxtcr, loaded. I could part with it.:rolleyes:

l8r

Big difference is about $75.00....no the XXXT is the Newest Version of the Losi. While the XXT is the older version. The gear ratio for the XXXT is I believe 2.43 while the XXT is 2:61. The XXXT's appear to be more forgiving on setups. It appears easier to drive than the XXT. Other changes were on the bulk heads, we used to break a few on the XXT thruout a season, the XXXT I don't recall changing one in the 2 years we've had it. The XXXT seems to be a faster truck, I'm guessing due to the gearing changes and the fact that they dropped the stance of the XXXT approx. 1/2 inch. I could be all wet...anybody feel free to jump in...

Discussion starter · #24 ·
off road

Ten loads are in so now it's time to spread it out and see how much more we are going to need. Not sure but the weather might put a crimp on the construction process in the next couple days. If that happens then it might suck because it takes newly laid dirt forever to dry out it seems. Look for a few pictures to be posted on the website later today or tomorrow.

Hehe...........Don's gonna wet himself. :lol:

no, i guess he stopped having the offroad track a few years ago at dream boat, so i'm not sure if he will or, he said he might, but i dought it, thats why i want to build my own, i'm just not sure if to make it big, like a 5 lap track or a speed track, cause my dad has his own small trucking company, so hauling the dirt or what not wouldn't be a problem, any imput? thanks, bruce

Discussion starter · #28 ·
drainage

Don.......yea we talked about that a little bit the other day. Hopefully things will work out "as is" so we don't have to worry about it to much. I just hope it's not another one of those wet summers. :rolleyes:

Track Building 101

When we first built our track many moons ago, we used a hose laid out on the ground to mark out the size and shape one section at a time. That way you can move it around until it's right, and see what it's really gonna look like. Then we used the only thing we had at the time, a rototiller to dig up the dirt. Some people do it the easy way and haul dirt in. Hehehehe!

At first I didn't put in a drainage system, that came several years later, but it was evident after the first heavy rain that I should have. There's no excuse for standing water anywhere near where R/C's are being run! ESC's are too expensive, and it only takes a drop in the wrong spot. With some kind of drainage, even if the race is delayed because of rain, if it quits you can still race. I'll say one thing, it's easier to put some pipes in at the start, rather than digging everything back up to do it.

Of course then there was the mud race....15 to 20 people showed up to race and it drizzled all day. Several of us got tired of waiting and decided to race anyhow. What a mess! You couldn't tell which car was yours, they were all the same color - brown! Every one took out their electronics afterward an literally hosed them off. (Not recommended)

Discussion starter · #30 ·
I'm kind of surprised. It has rained quite a bit here the last couple days and it doesn't look to bad. There are a couple low spots that "puddled" but overall things look pretty good. Of course it's gonna be awhile before we can get back on it now and OF COURSE they are calling for more rain the next couple days now. :mad: We are hoping to get the rest of the clay this week some time so we can get started on the layout next weekend. Have to see how the weather turns out I guess.

I was over at the hobby shop and talking to Rick today and it was in the middle of a rain storm and I have to admit that where the track is, it looks like it was draining rather well. But of course K1m has a point. Once you get the jumps in, there will be puddle areas and that would probably need drainage. Again just my two cents.

So are we changing the indoor season to SATURDAY's? One vote YES!

Discussion starter · #33 ·
indoors

Geez guys, let's get the outdoors started before we talk about the indoors more. :D Just kidding........Bruce, we usually start racing indoors the first part of November and run till the end of March.

Puddle areas...hopefully a broom will work wonders on them between jumps. :)

Ok...........poll time! Which way would you like to start heats, staggard or heads up? Mains will of course be by best qualifier.

Poll: Staggard/H.U. Starts

I'm leaning toward a staggard start. Now, are we talking about a time staggar or a physical staggaring of the field at the line? If it's possible to do a time staggar for the qualifiers, then I'm for it. Leave the physical staggar for the main. I'm for staggaring 'cause "we" have been doing the "heads up" for at least four years. This usually gives to a hanous 1st turn pileup. I like that we have begun staggard starts for the mains.

Are we spelling staggard correctly? Seems odd.

d

Discussion starter · #35 ·
starts

This will be a start like they do at PRO Speedway, basically an IFMAR start, everybody on their own clock. Depending on how many we run per heat probably 3-5 second intervals. Mains would remain how we have been doing it indoors this year, physical stagger. BTW this is for off road...........indoors would probably be about impossible to do a staggered start unfortunatly. :(

Stagger, staggered, staggar, staggard...........I guess you figured it out. :) LOL

whats wrong w/ the way almost every other track does it?...6 car heat....3 rows of 2, etc. Then for the 2nd round everyone moves up one row....front row to the back.

Trying to figure out what truck to buy. Do you guys think that the Losi Spec Truck (w/ bearings), would be as good as the MF edition XXXT? (handling-wise)

Rick, maybe you should think about making those blue tires mandatory...it might save everyone some $$$$. Just a thought.

PB

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Paul...We'd basically be doing it that way. The first heat we would start the cars (say numbers 1,2,3,4) 1,2,3,4 then in the second heat they would start 4,3,2,1. They would start at 3-5 second intervals however.

I don't see how you'd go wrong with the XXXT spec truck with some bearings in it. About the only difference would be a little weight (graphite versus stiffzell) and maybe some rigitity (same reason). I imagine you could probably live without the threaded shock bodies too huh? :) Basically they are the same truck just one doesn't have all the fancy smancy stuff on it, so you'll save some $$$ too.

Dunno about the spec tire. It would save me on having to stock a bunch of tires though. :thumbsup: Hmmmm.......

Ive been scouring ebay for an xxxt that dosent require me to stay up too late to bid on it...LOL! Also one that dosent go for too much $$$...people will pay way too much for used stuff on there! Yes I could live without all of the fancy stuff...especially being new to off-road.

I hadnt thought about the stocking of the hobbyshop angle on the tires...something to think about. Also it would "dumb-down" the tire selection process...which is perfect for me, since I dont know jack about off road tires anyway!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Discussion starter · #39 ·
You must be squattin' on the site here! :lol: Oh yea, if you're a seller eBay is Da place man but smart shoppers don't get much bought off of there. Every once in awhile you find a deal but not very often. I've been watching Emaxxes on there on occasion. People are idiots..............no way am I gonna pay $300 for a used one when a new one can be had for a few bucks more!! Then you have the shipping theives.........$25 shipping for a 112C charger????? Don't laugh, I've seen it. :confused:

Anyway, I'm off on a rant again. I'm basically in the same boat as you with off road.............don't know jack but I'm a quick learner. :)

21 - 40 of 2,365 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.