Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 20 of 866 Posts

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hank suggested we start a new thread so let's get it started. Where has everybody been? Nobody posts anymore. :(

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm still tryin to get stock truck down and runin right for now. I can't seem to find the right gearing or motor I've tried 4 magnet speed motor, high torques, and alittle of both. any Tips?,Ideas?

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
As I posted on the other thread. One of the best things you can do is make sure your tranny is as efficient as possible. Make sure that baby spins as free as possible! :) Since you're only running that indoors, take the tranny apart and clean all the grease out of the bearings. Re-oil with a few drops of light oil. Leave the shields off any of the bearings that don't come in contact with the outside of the tranny. Leave the inside shield off the outdrive bearings on the inside the tranny side and the same for the top shaft and wheel bearings. Make sure you "just" tighten down the screws holding the tranny together so as to not bind the gears. Beyond that, the less you have to steer your truck to make it get around the corners, the better. It seems like you have it handling pretty well, now you just have to work on finding a little speed. Of course there is no replacement for staying out of trouble either. One less wreck on the track can mean first or last place sometimes. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
688 Posts
LPS1 is the absolute best lube for your bearings, to make them free. Make sure they spin freely first. (If your can of motor spray's stream aimed at the balls cant make it turn, its not good enough). If your bearings have rubber/teflon shields, take them all out, because they contact the inner bearing races. When you get everything back together, you should be able to blow on your spur gear and turn the tranny over.

On such a tight track, also think light weight rotating parts for faster acceleration. One ounce of rotating weight is like 8 ounces of static weight. If you have a slipper on there, toss it in favor of a hub. Aluminum top shafts are also a good idea. Aluminum outdrives if you can get 'em, and aluminum CVDs will all work in your favor.

·
Registered
622 Posts
thanks guys:thumbsup: and thanks right for the book too. I don't don't if I'll have time to try those tips this week but will do them thanks.

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paul........what kind of bearings do you generally use? I'm cheap so it's usually Duratrax or Dynamite that I throw in. :lol: My tranny still needs work but it ain't bad. I'll NEVER get it as good as one you do. :) Jon had any of that help on his? :p

·
Banned
139 Posts
hey rick i was wondering if you have any more of the non-mounted tires of the green compound like matt bought last week if u have any could u bring them to the track sunday i need 4 of them if you have them thanks

i think it might bring my motor temp down a little bit

·
Registered
688 Posts
Rick, I try to stick w/ the higher quality bearings that come in the kits (they appear to have larger balls & cages inside). Nothing fancy. I've never tried ceramic bearings. I try to get metal shields, but I have some from Associated w/ a black shield (teflon, I think) that dosent touch the inside race. I can take them out for cleaning and pop them right back in.

I did all that stuff to Jon's tranny, but I left the outside rubber seals in the outdrive bearings.....so he dosent have to clean them all the time. It spins ok, but not great. The Losi tranny cases have such a big clearance between the outdrive and the case, they suck up crap like a vacuum! Do they make a metal sheilded bearing for those outdries?

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeff......I only have one set of the greens left right now. I do have 10 pair more coming but they won't be here this week. I'll bring the one pair with me though. If you don't change the gearing at all then yes it will bring the temp of your motor down because you will effectively be lowering your rollout on the truck. Let's just put it simply.........it will be kind of like you geared down because of the smaller diameter tires. :)

Paul...........you said.........well I better not. :lol: To my knowledge everybody that makes those bearings puts a teflon shield on them.

·
Banned
139 Posts
do u have any other compounds that have good traction i was just wondering if u have any more green because that is what my big ones are i have never tried anything else but the premounted ones i have are getting big chunks taken out of them so if u have any other compounds that will get good traction let me know thanks

KNOXVILLE

·
Registered
282 Posts
Rick, never mind about the email I sent ya, I found the"new" thread. I was wondering too... any sign of my goods yet?

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeff......the only other compound I have are Jaco aquas which are just a little harder than the greens. I believe they also provide pretty good traction. I also only have one pair of these but have another 10 pair on order. I would stick the greens on the rear and the aquas on the front.

Polli.........if you've gotten my email, yep you have "goods" here. I'll try and throw them in tomorrow just in case you can stop over.

·
Banned
139 Posts
hey rick i was wondering if you have any mf2 bodies at your shop if so i was wondering if you could paint one up for me would you be able to paint it like mine is the paint i used was a blue metal flake with 2 white racing stripes up the middle do u think you would be able to paint one like that if not i will have to think of something else let me know thanks

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jeff.........I don't have any "stock" MF2 bodies here but I have a couple different bodies that would work with it. A GMC Sierra and Pro-line Crowd Pleazer. The paint job doesn't sound like it would be to much of a problem. I'd have to look into the blue paint however as all I have right now is just a straight blue color.

rick brings some tires down with youy sunday..i need new back ones for my car..that xxt was running good..better than the xxx..we will see if this sunday can do any better..talk to you sunday Randy
If they come I'll bring some down. I have 10 pair of greens and aquas on order that will hopefully be here tomorrow.

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another fun week of racing and a pretty good crowd was present. Three new track records too.

New records
2wd stock - Courtney Morse 90/5:01.58
1/12 scale - Justin Johnson 76/8:00.40
Fun BuRP - Tom Himes 34/5:01.25

Code:
        Racers Edge R/C Racing & Hobbies      01-09-2005

-- Production - A  Main -- 
Pos Car Laps    time     name                id    avg.mph
  1   2  70     5:01.01 Randy ****            2     15.54
  2   4  69     5:01.90 Jim Cook              9     15.27
  3   3  68     5:02.18 Jeff Kinney           7     15.04
  4   5  68     5:03.34 Jeff Knox            15     14.98
  5   1  68     5:03.90 Amanda Himes          1     14.95

-- Production - B  Main -- 
  1   8  66     5:04.89 Brandon Covert       28     14.46
  2   6  64     5:01.52 Jeff Covert          29     14.18
  3   7  61     5:00.20 Matt Fitzsimmons      3     13.58
  4   9  15     1:26.15 Cory Kisko           16     11.63

-- Production - C  Main -- 
  1   1  52     5:03.79 Brandon Tarabori     17     11.44
  2   2  42     4:33.18 Mike Tarabori        18     10.27
  3   3  32     5:04.51 Don Tarabori         20     7.02
  4   4   5     0:51.86 Clayton Tarabori     19     6.44

-- Stock truck - A  Main -- 
  1   9  85     5:02.45 Tom Himes            21     18.78
  2   7  85     5:02.94 Courtney Morse       27     18.75
  3   8  74     5:02.14 Andy Eaton           12     16.37
  4   6  15     1:02.96 Mike Button          14     15.92
 --   5  --- DNS ---    Rick Morgan           5      0.00

-- 2wd stock - A  Main -- 
  1   2  89     5:00.29 Courtney Morse       26     19.80
  2   1  88     5:02.66 Paul Brauer          10     19.43

-- Stock TC - A  Main -- 
  1   6  37     5:02.90 Andy Eaton           11     11.24
  2   7  31     5:02.67 Mike Button          13     9.43

-- 1/12 scale - A  Main -- 
  1   2  76     8:00.40 Justin Johnson       24     14.56
  2   1  72     8:05.04 Tom Himes            22     13.66

-- Fun BuRP - A  Main -- 
  1   7  34     5:01.25 Tom Himes            23     10.39
  2   6  34     5:06.34 Justin Johnson       25     10.22
  3   0  31     5:07.30 Rick Morgan           4     9.29
  4   9  18     5:04.95 Barb Morgan           6     5.43
  5   8  12     5:23.87 Jeffery Kinney        8     3.41

·
Banned
139 Posts
hey rick do u think you could paint the proline body up that way for me and u can just use a normal blue that dont matter just as long as it is blue with white racing stripes :) do u think u could have it done by this sunday? if so that would be great i am sick of seeing blue paint fly ever time someone taps me let me know if u can have it done that fast and how much it will cost Thanks :thumbsup:

KNOXVILLE

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can I paint up the Crowd Pleazer body for you like that? Yes

Can I have it done for you this weekend? I'm thinking no but I'll see what I can do. :)

Cost on body is $19.50. Cost on painting is $15. + tax to both.

·
Banned
139 Posts
sounds good rick go ahead and paint it for me i would like to have it on sunday but if u cant get it done by then thats no biggie but you will just have some more paint so sweep up :p but if you could get it done that would be awesome thanks rick :thumbsup: i appreciate it

1 - 20 of 866 Posts